Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:49:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way of accepting Crypto donations on a website  (Read 697 times)
imjustp (OP)

Activity: 256
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2017, 06:59:57 AM

Hey guys (and girls),

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I thought it would be the most fitting.

Basically, I am in the final stages of releasing a little website which is purely focused on providing original content in the form of music/tv reviews, weekly opinion pieces, strange regular columns and positive/weird news stories etc. I have a small team of people who are writing for the site and the main goal is to provide the masses with a little online safespace where there is no advertising, sponsored content, data stealing or tracking.

This is where the crypto comes in, as I want to do my little bit for the crypto scene I wanted to make the site take donations in the form of crypto (BTC and altcoins) to pay for things like maintenance costs and to reward my writers.

I want to know if anyone on here knows of any WP plugin that allows for altcoin donations etc? Or if anyone knows of a way in which I could take these donations without having a load of public keys sitting on a page in the hope people can be bothered to log into their wallet and send to them.

So far I have been testing the gourl plugin which works, however, it does not allow for certain currencies which I would like to be able to accept.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 07:27:09 AM

I have seen a couple of wordpress plugins which you can find easily with a search. I have never used any of them since I never felt the need.

you are not asking for payment to want to generate a new address each time so your job is super easy. you just have to show them your address (bitcoin or anything else). and for that simply put up your QR code which you can create using any tool online (string to QR thing) or simply go to one of the block explorers like blockchain.info and save the QR image it shows on your address page.

you can also use bitcoin URI scheme or BIP21 to place a clickable link on your website so that users can automatically open their wallets by clicking on it. like this:
testing BIP21 link
read the details here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0021.mediawiki

Only Bitcoin
imjustp (OP)

Activity: 256
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2017, 12:27:26 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2017, 12:48:36 PM by imjustp

I have seen a couple of wordpress plugins which you can find easily with a search. I have never used any of them since I never felt the need.

you are not asking for payment to want to generate a new address each time so your job is super easy. you just have to show them your address (bitcoin or anything else). and for that simply put up your QR code which you can create using any tool online (string to QR thing) or simply go to one of the block explorers like blockchain.info and save the QR image it shows on your address page.

you can also use bitcoin URI scheme or BIP21 to place a clickable link on your website so that users can automatically open their wallets by clicking on it. like this:
testing BIP21 link
read the details here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0021.mediawiki

First off thanks for such an in depth reply!

I've seen and tried a few of the plugins but they're quite limited to the currencies available, the best premade option I found was the combination of the Give plugin and gourl, but there is still vast limitations regarding coins available.

I have thought about putting the address and asking for donations but then I would have to have each independent address and it wouldn't look as good.

I'm starting to think I may have to code a plugin myself as I want it to look and be easy to use, to encourage those new to crypto to get involved.

The main problem with the QR code/wallet address is the average person will be confused and put off by all jargon looking characters in wallet addresses and, those who are less tech savvy will be out of by a QR code. 

Your idea of the URI could be something which is implementable, a MEW address for eth and altcoin a being the possible best bet
barabut

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 06:12:42 AM

Let's think about that, sounds good.
11-BitNinja

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 12:22:14 AM

testing BIP21 link

First off thanks for such an in depth reply!

I've seen and tried a few of the plugins but they're quite limited to the currencies available, the best premade option I found was the combination of the Give plugin and gourl, but there is still vast limitations regarding coins available.

I have thought about putting the address and asking for donations but then I would have to have each independent address and it wouldn't look as good.

I'm starting to think I may have to code a plugin myself as I want it to look and be easy to use, to encourage those new to crypto to get involved.

The main problem with the QR code/wallet address is the average person will be confused and put off by all jargon looking characters in wallet addresses and, those who are less tech savvy will be out of by a QR code. 

Your idea of the URI could be something which is implementable, a MEW address for eth and altcoin a being the possible best bet

Well if you're asking for bitcoins/cryptos I think anyone with any substantial amount of them would know how to use QR codes...
niotib

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 09:54:24 AM

You can create own donation page (This may appear as external page or pop page) by simple HTML cording with including (drop down menu) as much as Altcoin types you want. You place an donation logo at somewhere of the web page and link to the donation page. Happy guys click the logo, visit the donation page and donate on you by their preferred Altcoin.  PM me if you want the source code.  

muhamed08

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 06:09:38 AM

maybe some widget or tool on some website? If someone find, please send me in pm
dongamk

Activity: 154
Merit: 14

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 06:27:26 AM

Redirect user on a landing page which you can designed with name, amount, btc address and your btc barcode with address.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: