Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 12:51:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is SSL necessary with bitcoin?  (Read 1312 times)
halfawake (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:41:09 AM

If you were to sell items on a website using bitcoin as your only currency, is SSL necessary?  It seems to me that it wouldn't be since the bitcoin protocol itself enforces the security of the bitcoins, but I'm not totally sure.  I understand the necessity of SSL with credit card sales since you have to ensure the customer's credit card number doesn't get stolen, but with bitcoin, it's only the bitcoins being sent that are at risk.  Are those bitcoins themselves protected by the bitcoin protocol like I think they are, or is SSL still necessary to ensure that they'll be secure?

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:44:06 AM

Could be useful to make sure the BTC payment address is not tampered by an attacker somewhere on the network.
halfawake (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:48:47 AM

Could be useful to make sure the BTC payment address is not tampered by an attacker somewhere on the network.

Ah, good point.  Good to have then anyway.

pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:02:14 AM

It's overall great to use SSL for every page if it is available. Especially, SSL over secured VPN on a very secured forum like bitcointalk. So many security layers you could utilize it's absolutely insane. It doesn't begin or end with SSL either, the type of browser you have, how you have your browser setup, e.g referrers disabled etc + more. You cannot say the sky is the limit with security layers, it goes beyond that, Mars?.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:36:58 PM

No it isn't necessary. But your customers might feel safer if you use it. You can get a cheap SSL cert for $10 a year these days so it's probably worth it getting one.
kodo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:08:31 PM

No its not necessary
halfawake (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:28:21 PM

No it isn't necessary. But your customers might feel safer if you use it. You can get a cheap SSL cert for $10 a year these days so it's probably worth it getting one.

$10?  The cheapest ones I've seen are $50, aside from the free ones which I'm concerned would just throw up all the warnings that self-signed certs throw up.  Guess I need to do some more searching around.

01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:35:38 PM

$10?  The cheapest ones I've seen are $50, aside from the free ones which I'm concerned would just throw up all the warnings that self-signed certs throw up.  Guess I need to do some more searching around.
http://www.namecheap.com/ssl-certificates/comodo.aspx
halfawake (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:13:45 PM

http://www.namecheap.com/ssl-certificates/comodo.aspx

Thanks!  Appreciate the link.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: