Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:52:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: minimalistic bitcoin client on D language?  (Read 10735 times)
bitcoinex (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2010, 09:22:33 AM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

I think to start writing a minimalistic bitcoin client on D language. Do you think this makes sense?

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 10, 2010, 09:28:08 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I think to start writing a minimalistic bitcoin client on D language. Do you think this makes sense?

The more implementations we have, the better.

Unfortunately, writting a client is no easy task.   Satoshi's code is far from from trivial.

bitcoinex (OP)

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2010, 10:27:16 AM

Maybe then wait bitdns?

I'm just bored and a want to write a code

- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2010, 10:37:03 AM

If you're bored you should learn some Ruby it's really sweet !

Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2010, 03:26:33 PM

+1 on Ruby.  Didn't someone recently write a Ruby interface to bitcoind?

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2010, 03:29:05 PM

I wrote a bitcoin daemon wrapper in Ruby
Fully extensible since it's heavily based on method missing

EDIT : Made it for Rails so it includes a lovely initializer and a sweet yml configuration file

bitcoinex (OP)

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2010, 05:11:11 PM

I do not like ruby, python, perl or java  Angry

wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
December 10, 2010, 05:13:12 PM

You want to re-implement the entire client?

Why make a convenient wrapper around the JSON API? That's much easier and just as useful.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Cryptoman

View Profile
December 10, 2010, 05:27:21 PM

I wrote a bitcoin daemon wrapper in Ruby
Fully extensible since it's heavily based on method missing

EDIT : Made it for Rails so it includes a lovely initializer and a sweet yml configuration file
I'll have to spend some time playing with it over the winter break.  Any thoughts on keeping a server running bitcoind relatively secure?  It seems like having a wallet.dat file on a publicly-accessible server is an accident waiting to happen.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Cryptoman

View Profile
December 10, 2010, 05:30:06 PM

I do not like ruby, python, perl or java  Angry
Well, I don't like C or Java or anything else that uses braces.  Tongue

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2010, 08:33:55 PM

python

I don't like IndentationErrors

perl

Not gonna criticize what I don't know

or java  Angry

I'll leave you the bob = new InstanceLocatorFactoryProxyWrapper<GenericInstanceBuilder>();

Smiley

bitcoinex (OP)

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2010, 08:53:36 PM

Why make a convenient wrapper around the JSON API? That's much easier and just as useful.

It's pointless, I think. There is may be a "multidimensional" result.

Use jsawk:

Code:
$ ./bitcoin listreceivedbylabel | jsawk -n 'out(this.label+" "+this.amount+" "+this.confirmations)'
user_id:1080 106 5189
user_id:1081 0.05 5557
user_id:1083 2.89 2800
user_id:1087 500 5276
user_id:1105 0.4 462
user_id:1109 0.1 922
user_id:1110 0.04 431

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2010, 09:01:04 PM

It's just not as fun ! Cheesy
I would love a ruby bitcoin client so much !!

farmer_boy

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2010, 10:43:43 PM

Another client is useful, especially since the current Bitcoin client is a big mess. I was *shocked* that cryptography code looked like this.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
December 10, 2010, 11:04:41 PM

Another client is useful, especially since the current Bitcoin client is a big mess. I was *shocked* that cryptography code looked like this.

I bet you're also shocked by what restaurant kitchens look like, and by what goes into sausages.
farmer_boy

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2010, 11:19:10 PM

I bet you're also shocked by what restaurant kitchens look like, and by what goes into sausages.
No, I happen to be aware of that, and that's why I usually try to eat at places with a semi-open kitchen.

The cryptography code that competent people use, doesn't look like a mess, btw. That 99% of the world uses this kind of obfuscated cryptography only shows that users don't know what they use. Have you ever looked at TrueCrypt for example? It's the exact same kind of mess.
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2010, 01:19:33 AM

Here we are with the Language war once again. Please just stop!

As for the topic, yes please get an alternative implementation started, the more the merrier Smiley
Maybe some good code actually makes it out there, helping future generations of clients to build on top of your code.

+1 on the D implementation (I'm starting a Java one in the holidays)

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Hal
VIP
expert

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 08:08:45 PM

I'd like to hear some specific criticisms of the code. To me it looks like an impressive job, although I'd wish for more comments. Now I've mostly studied the init, main, script and a bit of net modules. This is some powerful machinery.

Hal Finney
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 08:11:04 PM

Can you be more specific? What exactly makes it a 'mess'?

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
chaord

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 08:11:28 PM

+1 on scala if you're bored Wink
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: