Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 07:06:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Just how dead are graphics card miners?  (Read 1268 times)
crochetg (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:17:37 AM

So I have become absolutely fascinated with bitcoin mining operations. I wish SOMEONE would have told me about bitcoin many years ago I would have certainly been all over things in the good old mining days. Im surprised its taken me this long to really come to learn what bitcoin is.

Im mainly posting this to get up to 5 posts so I can start talking in the threads I really want to talk in (Avalon ASIC threads). But from what I have seen am I correct in saying the days where one could buy a ton a high end graphics cards, fill a room and turn a decent profit are long gone? When were those days exactly I guess up until 2011ish?

It seems to me if you aren't on-board (and at the front end) with all the new ASIC processing units, like those from BFL then there is really no hope for you in terms of mining, am I correct? 

I would like to hear peoples opinions on just what is going to happen when the vast majority of these back ordered machines start powering on all around the world. Are small time guys dead right away? If you are lucky enough to get one of the BFL units in one of the latter batches are you still going to be drown out by all those in front of you? Just how bad will it be?
Preschoolv2

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:20:24 AM

GPU will die very...very soon.  IF you are going to invest in them..id say mine LTC could be profitable once they go up a little in price.

ORRR you could buy my asic preorder ha Smiley
crochetg (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:29:59 AM

I would actually be interested possibly!

Im interested in doing one of two things.

1) Finding a decent deal (What they paid + some) on taking someones spot who isnt that far away from receiving a BFL unit.
2) Getting an order of ASIC chips from the SebastianJu batch orders and then send them to Burnin who is making custom boards with them.

Basically whichever results in reviving something the fastest. While the custom board seems like it would be slow, the Burnin guy really does have the capability to produce the boards fast. The slow part would be waiting around in the actual chip group orders =\
beoswind

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:53:37 AM
Last edit: May 29, 2013, 07:46:24 AM by beoswind

GPU minning is not dead

It's alive and kicking!

ATM you can mine alternative crypto http://dustcoin.com/mining with decent return

After you mine them you can sell/exchange them and EASY earn 2 times more on https://btc-e.com/exchange/ltc_usd

You can also sell GPU miners on ebay and easy get your investment in hardware back in a month

So after a month you can mine for example LTC and get 100% returns even if electricity in your area it's not cheap

BTW I think LTC will soon sky high like BTC

BTC started at 2009 and in 2012 you can buy it for 10$ now in 2013 for over $120

LTC started at 2011 and then you can buy them for few cents now it's at 3$ and in last few months more and more GPU miners from BTC switch to LTC so price will rise VERY SOON

With 2Ghs/s GPU miner you can mine about 2,5 BTC/month BUT over 3 LTC/day

You can build 2Ghs/s miner yourself for 2000$

You can also BUY 2000 LTC or more now and wait till 2014/15 and made easy money

This is how I do it...
crochetg (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:03:17 AM

GPU minning is not dead

It's alive and kicking!

ATM you can mine alternative crypto http://dustcoin.com/mining with decent return

After you mine them you can sell/exchange them and EASY earn 2 times more

You can also sell GPU miners on ebay and easy get your investment in hardware back in a month

So after a month you can mine for example LTC and get 100% returns even if electricity in your area it's not cheap

BTW I think LTC will soon sky high like BTC

BTC started at 2009 and in 2012 you can buy it for 10$ now in 2013 for over $120

LTC started at 2011 and then you can buy them for few cents now it's at 3$ and in last few months more and more GPU miners from BTC switch to LTC so price will rise VERY SOON

With 2Ghs/s GPU miner you can mine about 2,5 BTC/month BUT over 3 LTC/day

You can build 2Ghs/s miner yourself for 2000$

You can also BUY 2000 LTC or more now and wait till 2014/15 and made easy money

This is how I do it...

Those are all good points. I need to look into litecoin more. But if it was to follow in the footsteps of BTC then buy up a bunch!
Im now interested in these BLOCK ERUPTER BLADE's 10-13 GH/s I just saw are selling actively now.
frediiii

Activity: 335
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:16:15 AM

1) Finding a decent deal (What they paid + some) on taking someones spot who isnt that far away from receiving a BFL unit.

Cheesy good joke! a few 5GHs BFL units won't make you rich and the singles are far, far away from being shipped anytime soon

2) Getting an order of ASIC chips from the SebastianJu batch orders and then send them to Burnin who is making custom boards with them.

probably the better bet...
aynstein

Activity: 128

Fortune favors the bold, and sometimes the bald.

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:18:09 AM

see mars - spirit\opportunity.

It all depends on the price of btc Up up up (we hope)

AltaVista 4 Life!
beoswind

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:20:48 AM

Look at http://ltc.block-explorer.com/charts and scroll down to Mining difficulty screen and Market Capitalisation (USD) - it's the right time to BUY or start to mine LTC
skippylou

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:34:00 AM

I am planning on using a water cooled setup that I used for research a few years ago.  Four 9800GX2 Nvidia cards (8 GPUs), two quad core Opterons, two pumps, three radiators, three fans, large modified Lian Li case.  I can run it in the winter for free!  It will replace one of the 1500 watt heaters in my home that usually runs 24/7 in the cold months; same BTU's.  It will probably be winter by the time I get it all set up.  Long term, maybe some government subsidize solar panels if they have any programs going next year; a lot depends on the Bitcoin/KWH exchange rate.

Preschoolv2

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:35:25 AM

I am planning on using a water cooled setup that I used for research a few years ago.  Four 9800GX2 Nvidia cards (8 GPUs), two quad core Opterons, two pumps, three radiators, three fans, large modified Lian Li case.  I can run it in the winter for free!  It will replace one of the 1500 watt heaters in my home that usually runs 24/7 in the cold months; same BTU's.  It will probably be winter by the time I get it all set up.  Long term, maybe some government subsidize solar panels if they have any programs going next year; a lot depends on the Bitcoin/KWH exchange rate.

Youre not gonna get anywhere with Nvidia cards just so you know.
joeperry

Activity: 2128
Merit: 465

Telegram: @jperryC

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:48:51 AM

At this point maybe is not the best option but I think that is still a good option in a long term, you can mine BT but in a month or two would be unprofitable maybe you can get 1 or 2 BTS , after that you can keep mining other cryptho currencies, and with the incomes buying a brand new asic, and sell your cards for 1/2 of the price and make money, in a long term investment keep some BTS for your retirement, and end of the story.  Grin

skippylou

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:54:37 AM

Youre not gonna get anywhere with Nvidia cards just so you know.

You may be right, but it is what I got with no investment.  I am not planning on making a living with this.
beoswind

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:55:22 AM

Nvidia for mining is useless see https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Buy 3 x HD 7970 which give you 2GHs/s and after you done with mining you can play latest games on it or sell  Smiley

http://s13.postimg.org/ftqvo7n3r/2ghs_small_no.jpg
aceking

Activity: 229

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:56:29 AM

mine ltc with your rig , i think is the only viable alt-coin.
beoswind

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:58:12 AM

YES it's true  Grin

My LTC miner !!!

http://s15.postimg.org/trqa0138b/DSC00798.jpg
nnyld

Activity: 57

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:44:38 AM

GPU minning is not dead but alive and kicking!
axisofevil35

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:47:23 AM

YES it's true  Grin

My LTC miner !!!

Dude is that first card on a powered raiser?  Huh
mboot

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:54:22 AM

YES it's true  Grin

My LTC miner !!!

I plan to make a rig like that too, but with 7950 instead. I´m just using one now to mine litecoin and i´m doing about 680 kh with it.
Chrithu

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:16:41 PM

YES it's true  Grin

My LTC miner !!!

Looks like a Binford 5000 Mining Rig, designed by Tim Taylor himself.

"More Power!!!!"

jeannie

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 07:56:16 AM

This is cool!  I did not built a rig but use my game computer to do part time mining.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: