Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:48:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AMD Beta Drivers Causing Rig Reboots  (Read 334 times)
themonkii (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 124

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2017, 02:49:23 AM

Hey guys,

A few days after AMD released their beta version of their mining specific drivers, I installed them and was pleased with the results. Easily 10%+ in hashrate. The issue was that it was causing erratic reboots of the rig. I thought maybe it was a fluke, and so I tried it on another rig with similar results.

The rigs are both 8x gpu systems. Both use the Asus Prime z270-p boards, and both have lots of power 2x 1000w Evga Gold PSU's. Risers/cards are fine, as they have been running 2 weeks straight with old drivers. Both rigs are running Win 10.

My question is, do you think it could have been caused by the new drivers drawing more power than the previous ones? I did not change my undervolt settings. It is kinda the only thing that I can think of.

Anyone have any suggestions? Should I just wait for a more stable release?

Please, for everyone's sake - don't post the 1 line replies "bad riser" or "not enough power" no offense, but this isn't my first kick at the can. I can say with certainty it is not hardware related.

Genesis Network - GENX Payment Ecosystem  ☑ No ICO☑ No Premine☑ Fair Launch
Equihash 192_7 PoW─[ Maturity-Based Masternodes ]─ ANN Twitter Discord Reddit      
GitHub Pools Explorer Infographics ● ────[ ForumExchanges ]──── ●

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2017, 02:57:26 AM

do you use modded bios ?
what gpu's are u using ?
did u used any software for undervolting / overclocking your cards ? that software might not working with the new driver , is this case your rig might pull more power , you mentioned " I did not change my undervolt settings" but that software u used is working with the new driver ? watttool up to version 0.92 is not for sure Smiley

if your rig pull more power you still should be ok with 2x 1000w Evga Gold PSU's if you done your setup on the right way Smiley

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 04:11:42 AM

It very well could be the increased power draw, as I have been running the AMD blockchain drivers for well over a month on several rigs with no reboot or hangs. The only thing I did notice, which is well known is the increased power draw, but even that is fairly minor with it maybe adding 100 watts to an 8 card rig such as yours.

Do you have a way to measure the power draw, either from a kill-a-watt meter or similar. I also think that 2 x 1000 Watt PSUs per rig should be more than enough power, how is the load spread between them, pretty much 50-50, or 5 card and 3 cards + system? How often have the reboots been? The more information you can provide the easier it will be for someone to help you.

You could maybe try to remove 1 card for a day just to see if that helps, as that would also point to power issues if the rigs run ok with a reduced load. Also, how are your risers powered? If you are using the SATA power adapter, those can cause trouble once the power draw gets too high. Best to use risers with 6-pin PCIe or 4-pin Molex connectors and feed no more than two risers per chain (cable).
themonkii (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 124

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2017, 12:53:59 PM

It very well could be the increased power draw, as I have been running the AMD blockchain drivers for well over a month on several rigs with no reboot or hangs. The only thing I did notice, which is well known is the increased power draw, but even that is fairly minor with it maybe adding 100 watts to an 8 card rig such as yours.

Do you have a way to measure the power draw, either from a kill-a-watt meter or similar. I also think that 2 x 1000 Watt PSUs per rig should be more than enough power, how is the load spread between them, pretty much 50-50, or 5 card and 3 cards + system? How often have the reboots been? The more information you can provide the easier it will be for someone to help you.

You could maybe try to remove 1 card for a day just to see if that helps, as that would also point to power issues if the rigs run ok with a reduced load. Also, how are your risers powered? If you are using the SATA power adapter, those can cause trouble once the power draw gets too high. Best to use risers with 6-pin PCIe or 4-pin Molex connectors and feed no more than two risers per chain (cable).

The load is spread pretty evenly. 2 Risers per chain. Each card has its own line. I think it could be the fact that I never changed the voltages from old setup. I'll try them again tonight with stock voltage settings. There is enough power, but If I'm limiting it via my settings in Claymore, then it is the only thing that makes sense.

Also, for the previous reply - I'm using 8 x RX580's and using Claymore dual mining software. Mining Ether and Decred

Genesis Network - GENX Payment Ecosystem  ☑ No ICO☑ No Premine☑ Fair Launch
Equihash 192_7 PoW─[ Maturity-Based Masternodes ]─ ANN Twitter Discord Reddit      
GitHub Pools Explorer Infographics ● ────[ ForumExchanges ]──── ●
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: