Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 03:37:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Modify x16 riser cable to be x1 to x16?  (Read 5166 times)
Miracek (OP)

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:26:40 PM

Has anyone tried modifying a Pci-e x16 riser cable to be x1 to x16? I've tried this for 2 of my cards, when installed, it wasn't very stable and on of the cards had it's load varying from 64% to 100% several times a second.  Took everything apart and put it back the way it was, 2 GPU's on 2 mother boards, just so I can keep mining as I was.  Upon close inspection I found that I nicked the last connector on the riser cable, it was passing continuity but barely.  I figured I should ask if this works before trying it again.

Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
swordfish6975

Activity: 721
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 12:42:18 PM

not the link i remembered but some good info:

http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=42

It is not very well known, but the PCIe specification electrically supports down-plugging a card in a smaller link connector, such as an x16 card in an x1 connector.
However PCIe mechanically prevents down-plugging by closing the end of the connector, for a reason that I do not understand.

Some motherboards require pins A1 and B17 to be shorted for an x16 card to work in an x1 connector.

>>>>  Physical Bitcoin And Altcoin Price Ticker Screen - http://afkdata.com <<<<

http://cryptofolio.info  - google finance of cryptos
Miracek (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:07:05 PM

Thanks Swordfish

I had seen that link before attempting my mod, there was another link I had seen where someone actually modified their graphics card by removing the additional connectors and had it physically inserted into the x1 slot.  that's what gave me the confidence to at least try.  As for the shorting of pins to allow the Mobo to detect the cards, fortunately my board didn't need that mod, CGminer saw and was operating all 4 cards, it's just the performance was not great, and I think the card with the connector I nicked while remove the rest of it connector was going crazy on the GPU load before I shut it down.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:58:54 PM

[...]it's just the performance was not great [...]
I get the same performance with x1 as x16, even mining scrypt. :/

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:05:40 PM

bitcoin mining does not require the full 16x lane, most cards actually peak with a 8x lane even. if you're seeing poor performance after modifying a riser something went wrong with the modification(or perhaps the riser was no good in the first place) 5870 makes this old but this is a good read still
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling/25.html

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Miracek (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:40:24 PM

Yeah I agree, I definitely cut through a part of the last copper pin when modifying the x16 riser.  I'll probably mess around with it tonight and trying just put the 3 cards in one machine and see if that's stable.  If it is I'll try to modify another riser cable and then put all four cards on the same Mobo.  I just posted this up here to see if anyone else has done this and if there were any specific things I should look out for.  or some tips on the best way to cut down the x16 riser to x1.  I currently am using a dremel with a cutting wheel on it.
deslok

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:45:56 PM

try an oscillating multitool it'll be easier to handle than the dremel(won't try and spin either up or down the card)
http://www.harborfreight.com/oscillating-multifunction-power-tool-68861-8493.html

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
Miracek (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:57:15 PM

I know, unfortunately I loaned my Multi-tool to  buddy working on his house and he's on vacation this week, didn't think I was going to need it so I didn't ask him to return it.  Undecided
ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 04:03:10 PM

not the link i remembered but some good info:

http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=42

It is not very well known, but the PCIe specification electrically supports down-plugging a card in a smaller link connector, such as an x16 card in an x1 connector.
However PCIe mechanically prevents down-plugging by closing the end of the connector, for a reason that I do not understand.

Some motherboards require pins A1 and B17 to be shorted for an x16 card to work in an x1 connector.

Wait. So if I remove the end of a PCI-E 1x connector on the motherboard, so that a PCI-E 16x card will slide into the slot, it would just work?!

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
deslok

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:04:04 PM

as long as you have clearance and don't damage your motherboard? usually, not everything works as intended but it's supposed to.

Global BTC

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 04:07:26 PM

You could also use a 1x to 16x extender:

For some cards, you need a powered extender.

ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 04:09:44 PM

as long as you have clearance and don't damage your motherboard? usually, not everything works as intended but it's supposed to.

Dang. I could do that with a dremel, just drill away the plastic at the end. Why don't they do that normally? Would be great for fitting two GPU's right into the case of most desktops that don't have a x16 slot.

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
deslok

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:14:40 PM

Dang. I could do that with a dremel, just drill away the plastic at the end. Why don't they do that normally? Would be great for fitting two GPU's right into the case of most desktops that don't have a x16 slot.

Because it's not normal to stuff that many gpu's in a system and things like crossfire and SLI aren't supported that way. I've seen some boards with an open ended 8x slot designed for workstation use but that's about it.

Miracek (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:33:05 PM

You could also use a 1x to 16x extender:

For some cards, you need a powered extender.

Unfortunately I don't have x1 to x16 adapters, but I do have a bunch of x16 riser cables, so I was trying to make my own x1 to x16 risers from those.
sweeppicking

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:33:06 AM

I make it, x16 x16 didn't work on my computer so i cut it, now i'm using it like a x1 x16 riser and can make another x1 x1 but i need the top famale pcie conector.
Miracek (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:58:22 AM

I make it, x16 x16 didn't work on my computer so i cut it, now i'm using it like a x1 x16 riser and can make another x1 x1 but i need the top famale pcie conector.

Thanks sweeppicking glad to hear it works.  I could not find a reason it wouldn't work but wanted to make sure it would.
sweeppicking

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:11:25 AM

Thanks sweeppicking glad to hear it works.  I could not find a reason it wouldn't work but wanted to make sure it would.

Just need to cut the kables, and care with the male pcb cuting. x1 x16 is beter that x16 x16.
Miracek (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:21:41 PM

Good point, I didn't think of that. In the process of cutting the male board that connects to the Mobo, i should also sever the cables running up to the card.  THis was if there are any shorts that I may have made by cutting the board they won't actually be connected to the GPU.

THANKS  Smiley Smiley
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:28:54 PM

just cut the back of the motherbord slot

Miracek (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:17:11 PM

don't think that would work on my board. 2 of the x1 slots are between 2 x16 slots, but at some point between the 2 x16 slots there is some thing on the board with what looks like an integrated passive heat sink, it would get in the way of the x16 riser cable.

EDIT

I will take a look though, I'm just going off of my memory right now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: