Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 05:59:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my computer powerful enough?  (Read 1308 times)
201349er (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:35:29 PM

All,

While I wait to be be-noobed and able to post elsewhere, I did have a question I was hoping some of my compatriots on this board could answer.

I have a beast of a system - do you think it will be able to do a decent job of mining?

Dual Xeon E5-2660
256GB DDR3-1066R ECC RAM
Dual Nvidia GTX550Ti (2GB) video cards (not SLI)

At the moment, I am trying out GUIminer under Windows 8 Enterprise, and getting around 50Mhash/s.

I look forward to your advice and input! Smiley
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:38:39 PM

i'm sorry but no. CPU mining is useless. As for GPU, well, you have nvidia cards wich are not good for mining. Sure, your system is powerful and good at gaming and other things but not for mining

nordicbtcminers

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 01:40:33 PM

Hi!

If you want to mine bitcoins it's recommended to use a ATI card instead of a Nvidia card

I'm using a XFX Radeon HD6570 DDR3 card and gets around 80GHash/sec!  Cheesy

or is it MHash/sec?  Undecided Tongue

----->   The first live betting site for Bitcoins! - BitcoinLiveBets.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live betting on many games now available plus thousands of bets for all major sports!
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 01:46:10 PM

That configuration is more like a server than a normal computer.

However to agree with Gabi, it's not really powerful to be worth Bitcoin mining on.
CPU and GPU mining is overall not advisable any more, with FPGA and ASIC being more normal.

CPU mining is slow is considered slow, it's not really worth doing
GPU Mining on Nvidia Cards, can be done, but it is generally a lot faster on ATI cards (Different design approach happens to be better).

I can't speak for popular Alt-coins like Litecoin, maybe that would be better suited for this setup.
I know they are very Memory intensive and are still in an era where GPU use is normal.
A setup like yours, is over kill for a Mining rig, but Litecoin instead of Bitcoin mining would be a better direction.

David Rabahy

Activity: 709
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:49:55 PM

Would a CPU *ever* earn any Bitcoin rewards anymore?  It might not be worth it in terms of cost of electricity but can we expect a CPU to ever get lucky?
Jayjay04
Legendary

Activity: 1364
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:52:07 PM

80 ghash/s, you wish !

▄▄▄
                   █████
             ▄▄▄    ▀▀▀       ▄▄████╕
            █████          ▄▄███████▌
     ▄▄▄     ▀▀▀        ╓████████▀▀
    █████               ██████▀▀       ▄███▄
     ▀▀▀        ▄███▄    ▀▀▀           ▀███▀
                ▀███▀        ▄▄████╕
       ▁▄▄███▄           ▄▄████████▌
   ▁▄▆████████       ▄▄█████████▀▀       ▄███▄
 ▄█████████▀▔    ▄▄█████████▀▀           ▀███▀
▐██████▀▀▔   ,▄█████████▀▀        ▄▄▄
 ▔▀▀▀▔    ▄▄████████▀▀           █████
      ▄▄████████▀▀       ▄▄██▄    ▀▀▀
   ▄█████████▀       ▄▄███████▌       ▄▄▄
  ▐██████▀▀      ▄▄█████████▀▔       █████
   `▀▀▀      ▂▄█████████▀▀    ,▄▄µ    ▀▀▀
          ▂▆████████▀▀    ,▄██████▌
          ██████▀▀     ▄█████████▀
           ▔▀▀        ███████▀"
                      "▀▀▀╙
Hello!
STAKER
.The Next Proof-of-Stake.
KSmart Contract Tokene.

maco

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:19:52 PM

Hi!

If you want to mine bitcoins it's recommended to use a ATI card instead of a Nvidia card

nope, its MHash/sec

and you still might be off in those figures. Which software/miner tool you using?

Reference to mining hardware info:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison
201349er (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:31:15 PM

Ok, so I understand the relative obsoletion of CPU/GPU mining now. So, what if I just bought one of these beastly 50GH/s ASIC miners? If you were me, would you buy one, and convert the BTC to dollars and make your ROI in xx days?
AzureEngineer

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:33:44 PM

Ok, so I understand the relative obsoletion of CPU/GPU mining now. So, what if I just bought one of these beastly 50GH/s ASIC miners? If you were me, would you buy one, and convert the BTC to dollars and make your ROI in xx days?

Buying them isn't the issue, getting them to your doorstep is. The only company that has shipped a 50+ GH/s miner is Avalon, who only takes orders in batches.

GPU mining is not obsolete. Mining with your GPUs is. You'll need high-end AMD GPUs to be mining efficiently.

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
201349er (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:36:48 PM

Buying them isn't the issue, getting them to your doorstep is. The only company that has shipped a 50+ GH/s miner is Avalon, who only takes orders in batches.

Well let's say I bought a handful of the 25GH/s ones from Butterfly instead. I'm trying to look at the big picture here and determine if I'm missing anything, or if this could really be profitable, if  made the capex investment.
AzureEngineer

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:38:25 PM

Well let's say I bought a handful of the 25GH/s ones from Butterfly instead. I'm trying to look at the big picture here and determine if I'm missing anything, or if this could really be profitable, if  made the capex investment.

Like I said, getting them to your doorstep is the issue. Butterfly labs does not have any 25 GH/s units that are currently shipping and no one knows when they will start shipping. If you order now you will have thousands of people ahead of you in the queue.

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
Metafiat

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:53:09 PM

Try some Altcoin
Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 03:32:44 PM

*sigh* Butterfly has orders still pending 10-11 months, that have not shipped. Do not consider buying from them.

Avalon or ASICMiner are your best choices. They at least have a decent track record of shipping products in a decent time frame and within the specifications they said it would perform at. The same can not be said for BFL.

nor9854

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:08:04 PM

Try mining powercoin.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
|
nordicbtcminers

Activity: 90

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 08:35:45 PM

Hi!

nope, its MHash/sec

and you still might be off in those figures. Which software/miner tool you using?

Reference to mining hardware info:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Haha, I was ironic, btw i'm using cgminer as mining tool. I get 80 MHash/sec @ 45W and 336 MHash/sec @ 2,5W with my Block Erupter USB

----->   The first live betting site for Bitcoins! - BitcoinLiveBets.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live betting on many games now available plus thousands of bets for all major sports!
drpanglos

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 12:41:02 AM

great! Work it!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3247

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 01:08:45 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2013, 03:31:16 PM by odolvlobo

GPU mining is not obsolete.

GPU mining is not profitable if you have to buy a GPU because the cost of the GPU is more than it will ever earn. In this case it is better to buy the bitcoins outright than to try to mine them with a GPU.

For those that already have a GPU, mining is only profitable as long as the revenue from mining is greater than the cost of power. Your profit depends on the difficulty and the price of BTC.

For example, if your electricity costs $0.10/kWh and your GPU uses 250W then your power cost is $0.60 (or about 0.0060 BTC) per day. If your GPU's hash rate is 600 MH/s, then it currently mines about 0.0072 BTC per day, and your profit is 0.0012 BTC (or about $0.12) per day.

Go to http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/ for more accurate calculations.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
NWO

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 02:03:49 AM

No.

However, try mining an alt.
i3lome

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 04:21:57 AM

Mine ltc and trade for btc.
ExoCoin

Activity: 4

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 09:08:47 AM

Try mining PrimeCoin using your CPU. You should be able to earn a reasonable amount in doing so.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: