Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:38:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CPU mining using servers?  (Read 870 times)
BingoBob (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 08:38:53 AM

Can it be profitable to use servers to CPU mine? I don't mean using cloud mining. I mean CPU mining using dedicated servers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
floppydisk

Activity: 92
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 08:42:32 AM

Can do but just for fun. Running multicore Xeon CPU, latest of E5 V4 series as example just getting cents daily...
BingoBob (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 08:54:14 AM

Can do but just for fun. Running multicore Xeon CPU, latest of E5 V4 series as example just getting cents daily...

There's no way to do it where it's profitable at all?
toddy47

Activity: 210
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 09:05:33 AM

Profitable as in making money off un-utilized processing power, but not as in worthwhile firing it up to mine.
Like previously said, even dual socket modern server likely wouldn't pay for power costs.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BingoBob (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 09:20:26 AM

Profitable as in making money off un-utilized processing power, but not as in worthwhile firing it up to mine.
Like previously said, even dual socket modern server likely wouldn't pay for power costs.

That's too bad. I was hoping for a different answer.
promo25

Activity: 18

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 09:33:33 AM

Can it be profitable to use servers to CPU mine? I don't mean using cloud mining. I mean CPU mining using dedicated servers.

Believe me it's not worth it, you will be burning money essentially. If you wanna do it for fun just try, but beware that some providers will terminate your account if you max out the cores to mine. Read the terms of service first!
BingoBob (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 09:51:30 AM

Believe me it's not worth it, you will be burning money essentially. If you wanna do it for fun just try, but beware that some providers will terminate your account if you max out the cores to mine. Read the terms of service first!

I believe you that it's not worth it. I was just hoping that there would be some way to make money off of it. I don't know much about any of this. That's why I asked.
floppydisk

Activity: 92

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 09:56:19 AM

Xeon E5 V4 with 20 Core (40 threads) would yield somewhere between 0.20 - 1.00 USD/D before minus fees (developer fees/pool fees) and minus power consumption of 150-175 watts & extremely hot. It's not worth it. While servers idling, they're not consuming power as the CPU area at lower power states hence less heat dissipated. But at full throttle, it will make small money, minus power it consume, minus cooling (AC) that you have to provide.
jadefalke
Legendary

Activity: 1457
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 10:15:09 AM

currently there are simply no CPU mine Coins, as soon as there is a GPU Miner, CPU Mining is not wort a Dime.
ol92

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 11:53:36 AM

Xeon E5 V4 with 20 Core (40 threads) would yield somewhere between 0.20 - 1.00 USD/D before minus fees (developer fees/pool fees) and minus power consumption of 150-175 watts & extremely hot. It's not worth it. While servers idling, they're not consuming power as the CPU area at lower power states hence less heat dissipated. But at full throttle, it will make small money, minus power it consume, minus cooling (AC) that you have to provide.

Mining XMR with a xeon E5 2696V3 with the trick to gain higher all core turbo (https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/what-controls-turbo-core-in-xeons.2496647/) gives around 950 h/s, which is higher than most video cards excepting the new RX vega: around 2 $/day depending on xmr/usd rate  and network hashrate...
I have gained more with mining some coins with new algo the few weeks after launch (before gpu mining ).
BingoBob (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 12:11:24 PM

Mining XMR with a xeon E5 2696V3 with the trick to gain higher all core turbo (https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/what-controls-turbo-core-in-xeons.2496647/) gives around 950 h/s, which is higher than most video cards excepting the new RX vega: around 2 $/day depending on xmr/usd rate  and network hashrate...
I have gained more with mining some coins with new algo the few weeks after launch (before gpu mining ).

Did you do this using a server? If so, did you make a profit?
MintCondition
Legendary

Activity: 1147
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 02:16:25 PM

I already try using my HP workstation z540 with intel xeon cpu. I used minergate but it is not profitable unlike using GPU. I just mined a little compared on the power consumption I used. But it is good if you are using server from company. Just make sure your boss didn't caught you.

zoata87
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2017, 02:21:27 PM

I already try using my HP workstation z540 with intel xeon cpu. I used minergate but it is not profitable unlike using GPU. I just mined a little compared on the power consumption I used. But it is good if you are using server from company. Just make sure your boss didn't caught you.
High risk low reward lol
imo it is not worth doing this
NobodyIsHome

Activity: 74

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 02:27:59 PM

High risk low reward lol
imo it is not worth doing this

I had a co-worker get fired for "improper use of company assets".  Well, other than the long list of other things he did, using the servers to re-encode bootleg movies was one of those things that couldn't be ignored.
ol92

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 06:59:55 PM

Did you do this using a server? If so, did you make a profit?
I have bought this xeon on ebay for around 800$ and use it with my personnal pc (X99 motherboard) with 2-3 video cards.
And yes it is profitable: but I wouldn't buy a xeon v3 for mining only now (no ROI in a reasonable timeframe). More easy to ROI with video card.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/monero-mining-performance.12116/

BitcoinPC

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 04:20:08 PM

There's no way you're going to make it done doing that. CPU mining in itself is nothing but a lost but what you're talking about is spending 50 to $70 a month for the privilege of using somebody else's computer to fail. Also consider how much power and electricity this mining will take.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: