Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 08:38:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOs to accredited investors  (Read 386 times)
tehuantepecer (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 08:44:00 AM

Newbie here, but would like to know the opinion of other experienced users/anyone with an opinion (everyone) here Cheesy.

With the recent bans, and news of crypto tightening regulations, some coins (mostly those which are modeled as a security) are beginning to move more into an accredited investor/institutional investor-only ICO.

Do you guys see it as ICOs/blockchain defeating its own purpose by being open only to individuals with the big bucks, a needed measure, or there is way for us to agree on a middle ground?
TagaMungkahi

Activity: 364
Merit: 118

Bounty Campaign Manager? --> https://goo.gl/YRVVt3

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 08:55:28 AM

Newbie here, but would like to know the opinion of other experienced users/anyone with an opinion (everyone) here Cheesy.

With the recent bans, and news of crypto tightening regulations, some coins (mostly those which are modeled as a security) are beginning to move more into an accredited investor/institutional investor-only ICO.

Do you guys see it as ICOs/blockchain defeating its own purpose by being open only to individuals with the big bucks, a needed measure, or there is way for us to agree on a middle ground?
You have a point, but you should check also that these are ICOs, i think it is the same model with IPOs ,like this is what IPO/ICO 's offer, it's for you if you will invest or not, i think there are some ICOs that allows a low rate for investment.

MoonIsBlue

Activity: 406
Merit: 111

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 09:02:31 AM

What country is regulating? I haven't really noticed anything but if the ICO scene does move a to  acredited investors then I will probably look for a different coin alternative to the alternatives, I'm not gonna buy stocks from people with 10 million-100million or a billion dollars.

Then the whole market can go F**** itself it will be a wall street game.

tehuantepecer (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 11:20:24 AM

You have a point, but you should check also that these are ICOs, i think it is the same model with IPOs ,like this is what IPO/ICO 's offer, it's for you if you will invest or not, i think there are some ICOs that allows a low rate for investment.

I'd say IPOs are solely for fundraising purposes, for startups looking to exit, or SMEs needing a huge some of money. In this sense an ICO is only similar to the IPO, definitely not the same.

In an IPO, all the big boys get first share of the pie, followed by a select lucky few of retail investors, and once it's on the market, anyone can have their share. Do you see ICOs going into this direction?
tehuantepecer (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 12:40:57 PM

What country is regulating? I haven't really noticed anything but if the ICO scene does move a to  acredited investors then I will probably look for a different coin alternative to the alternatives, I'm not gonna buy stocks from people with 10 million-100million or a billion dollars.

Then the whole market can go F**** itself it will be a wall street game.

Ok granted, governments have mentioned they will regulate, no regulation has been done, except for China's ban. Singapore, South Korea, just to name a few.

But do you think ICOs structured like BCAP/Science blockchain has to have an accredited investor-only offering, while there still exists room for ICOs where tokens are part of the fundraiser's system, to be open to retail investors?
Stelfox

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 12:47:17 PM

It will take out the gambling from the ICO process which is a good thing. Assuming that an acc. investor at least works through the whitepaper of a coin and understands the basics of investing, risk management and the underlying technology he is investing in.
tehuantepecer (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 12:52:28 PM

It will take out the gambling from the ICO process which is a good thing. Assuming that an acc. investor at least works through the whitepaper of a coin and understands the basics of investing, risk management and the underlying technology he is investing in.

I like this.
Hyperme.sh

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 01:05:03 PM
Last edit: September 22, 2017, 01:16:38 PM by Hyperme.sh

Unless they identify and verify accredited investor status and file the appropriate paperwork in every jurisdiction where those accredited investors reside, then they’re still illegally issued securities, e.g. EOS’ checkbox for “I’m an accredited investor” is not legal issuance. Anyone promoting or trading these (including the owners of the exchanges!) may be incriminating themselves.

Tokens issued under an accredited investor exemption must only be traded to other verified accredited investors. If the issuers/promoters/investors reasonably expect these tokens to be listed on public exchanges then they are probably committing a crime. An attorney pointed this out.

Fundraising via tokens is a giant mess that should be entirely avoided by everyone (at least until the authorities provide some new legal framework which might be many years from now, especially since it will require globalized harmonization of law in order to allow trading across nation-state borders). ICO issued tokens are doomed and will likely become illegal to trade and thus worthless. Expect exchanges to start voluntarily delisting ICO issued tokens once they realize the deep shit they are in. You’re investing in empty bags that have never produced any real world use or than facilitating selling empty bags to greater fools.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: