Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:10:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NO Privacy With CoinBase  (Read 1800 times)
BitCoinNewGuy (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

'That Guy'

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:21:15 PM

Coinbase is making many changes. One of which: I recently sold 12 BitCoin and it shows in my bank statement: "COINBASE.COM/BitCoin CREDIT". It used to just say "CoinBase CREDIT".

Even though anyone could have just looked up CoinBase, now it directly says on the bank statement "BitCoin CREDIT".

I didn't make any money on this sale, since I bought when BitCoin was around $200, so I will not be filing it as 'income', but will the bank see it as so?
JungleBook

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:32:34 PM

Coinbase is making many changes. One of which: I recently sold 12 BitCoin and it shows in my bank statement: "COINBASE.COM/BitCoin CREDIT". It used to just say "CoinBase CREDIT".

Even though anyone could have just looked up CoinBase, now it directly says on the bank statement "BitCoin CREDIT".

I didn't make any money on this sale, since I bought when BitCoin was around $200, so I will not be filing it as 'income', but will the bank see it as so?

this also makes me nervious
BitCoinNewGuy (OP)

'That Guy'

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:41:04 PM

this also makes me nervious

Just talked to a random bank teller at a different branch than I normally go to what they thought of "BitCoin", she is older and says that it is used as a way to "buy drugs, embezzle, laundry, hide money, and a vehicle for scams".

To bankers, BitCoin by itself is a 'red flag'! I wouldn't be surprised of those who sell BitCoins on CoinBase get asked a few more questions by the bank, or gets a larger magnifying glass by the IRS. Seriously.

Let me tell you, I am 52, and I have randomly been audited by the IRS in my days. I have NOTHING to hide, but it is still NOT A FUN TIME being called into an IRS branch and they begin to DRILL YOU about EVERYTHING! Until you PROVE to them you are not hiding income, etc, you are (at least they make you feel) GUILTY and threaten you will JAIL!

....That $200 cash you deposited on your birthday, that is unreported income unless you can PROVE it was a GIFT! (just an example of how they fuck you, bring lube).
Dissonance

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:11:19 PM

Well i agree they need to change that statement - but really bitcoin users shouldn't be made to feel like they are doing something wrong.

BitCoinNewGuy (OP)

'That Guy'

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:13:10 PM

Well i agree they need to change that statement - but really bitcoin users shouldn't be made to feel like they are doing something wrong.

It is just 'how it is'. The media has engrained a different negative impression of BitCoin in the minds of millions.
JohannSummers

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 06:15:00 PM

You LINKED your BANK ACCOUNT to Coinbase and expected privacy? Not sure what to tell you. Coinbase is a financial services company providing a legitimate service with no reason to hide what they're providing, and every reason to be above-board. If you're interested in privacy, may I suggest not using a bank...
bitminerforyou

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:15:26 PM

SR has ruined what most people perceive a btc to be.
BitCoinNewGuy (OP)

'That Guy'

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:25:45 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2013, 04:40:45 AM by BitCoinNewGuy

You LINKED your BANK ACCOUNT to Coinbase and expected privacy? Not sure what to tell you. Coinbase is a financial services company providing a legitimate service with no reason to hide what they're providing, and every reason to be above-board. If you're interested in privacy, may I suggest not using a bank...

I don't care about privacy. I am NOT trying to hide anything, I just think that CoinBase adding BitCoin to the bank statement is just too much.

What I meant to do with this post was to warn others who do care about privacy, or do have past unreported income they 'forgot' to report. Just giving a PSA that CoinBase will basically tell your bank the sale was from BitCoins up front.  Wink
JohannSummers

Activity: 23

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 06:37:33 PM

Fair enough. I'm not sure why they would even need to add "bitcoin" to the description, don't think Coinbase is selling much else...
BitCoinNewGuy (OP)

'That Guy'

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:42:39 PM

The big question is why is CoinBase just NOW adding "BTC" or "BITCOIN" to the bank statements for when selling BitCoin? I made a sale about a month ago for a few coin and it didn't include this info... Huh
NeedsBitcoin

Activity: 15

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:32:49 PM

What does this even mean?
BitCoinNewGuy (OP)

'That Guy'

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:01:19 PM

What does this even mean?

Exactly.
natey1

Activity: 11

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:42:18 PM

What about the privacy going the other direction? I just want to use Coinbase to purchase things in BTC
BitCoinNewGuy (OP)

'That Guy'

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:07:15 PM

Buying things is fine, the receiver will only see the BitCoin address.

Really though, CoinBase will respect your privacy and will only share information with authorities if they have a reason too....
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:10:44 PM

Smells like some kind of psuedo AML compliance to me. Since when does a company selling a product list the products purchased in the statement? I don't remember my last Amazon statement saying "AMAZON.COM/DILDOSQTY4".

Normally I'm against alarmist retards posting threads to "warn" people about services, but this thread is actually spot on. They are absolutely going above and beyond to complicate your life in order to simplify theirs. If this is how they handle things, I think it's safe to say they need to explain why. Failing that, the free market should move around them.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: