Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:13:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bit Notes...... Any demand for them?  (Read 2698 times)
SimplyBTC (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:58:23 PM

I've just designed a Bit Note and was wondering if there was any interest in marketing them. I have printed them on cotton paper to make them as close to real money as possible. On the right hand side is a QR code and the wallet address so anyone can check the balance.

On the left is the private key and QR code to redeem the balance. I have protected this by a scratch area (a bit like a lottery scratch card) that you need to rub off in order to see the key. Also, there is a tamper proof hologram as seen in the picture over this. This is peeled off to reveal the scratch area as a double security layer.

1 BTC is currently £99. The benefit of these is that you can keep all your bitcoins safe at home rather than in one wallet that could be hacked. Imagine losing 10 BTC because a website goes down or you account is hacked. You don't need to keep any details online or on your computer and they look pretty good.

p.s there is nothing on this wallet so don't bother trying to redeem it  Roll Eyes

Any thoughts or suggestions? Would anyone want them (I'm UK based)?

The private keys are all generated off line and no record is kept so you don't have to worry about that. Anyone buying them can see my 10 year trading on ebay and can have my address, occupation, phone number etc.

Chris

www.SimplyBTC.co.uk
realdos

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:08:06 PM

The problem with this design is by receiving this bit note, the receiver is actually putting himself/herself into a risky situation, as one is not certain whether the issuer of this bit note will redeem it at any moment. For example, say you issue such bit note and someone pay it to me to gain some service or commodity. As a receiver, I check the address and find there is some bitcoin there. But I'm not sure whether it will still be there during the period I hold this note. What if you the issuer secretly redeem the note and run? I will be left nothing in that situation.
bitcoinchecker

Activity: 182

Provider of Bitcoin products and services

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 06:09:16 PM

They look nice. Well done.

What do you envisage them being used for?

Gifts maybe?

Quality Bitcoin T-shirts for sale http://thevillageidiotme.ipage.com/shop.html
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:46:59 PM

Yeah, you've got to give buyers a reason to trust you and everyone on your side so they feel you can't or have vested interest to never redeem these yourself.

If you can at least offer some small token of assurance, I'd try selling some on BitMit and talk to the guy over at BTCQuick about them.

Nice design,
Good luck!

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
SimplyBTC (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:19:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I suppose the main issue is trust. If you look at my ebay account its over 10 years old with 100% positive feedback and I have absolutely no desire to change this. It's more than my job is worth to rip someone off for a few bitcoins so I suppose the buyer needs to trust that I won't keep a record of the private keys (which I don't as they are printed out 100 at a time and never saved anywhere). I can't really see a way round this at the moment.

The main reasons people would buy them are:

1. Gifts to get people involved in bitcoins
2. Paypal is accepted for these giving an extra payment option and offering protection. Sending people bank transfers is not always 100% safe.
3. Security. I hate holding any large quantity of bitcoin in a single wallet and worry my computer will be breached or hacked. This way I could keep lots of paper 0.5 BTC and never have to worry that anyone will be able to steal them all.

www.SimplyBTC.co.uk
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:40:45 PM

Isn't this the bitaddress.org paper wallet design with a sticker on the private key? I'm not saying anything about the utility of the note itself, but credit where credit is due, right?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:48:40 PM

Isn't this the bitaddress.org paper wallet design with a sticker on the private key? I'm not saying anything about the utility of the note itself, but credit where credit is due, right?

Whoa, good catch! The exact artwork...

But it's an open-source design from github: https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org

Guess he can do that, I think.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
rebuilder
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:53:44 PM

But it's an open-source design from github: https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org

Sure, but claiming to have designed it is going a bit far IMO, without mentioning the source.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:54:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I suppose the main issue is trust. If you look at my ebay account its over 10 years old with 100% positive feedback and I have absolutely no desire to change this. It's more than my job is worth to rip someone off for a few bitcoins so I suppose the buyer needs to trust that I won't keep a record of the private keys (which I don't as they are printed out 100 at a time and never saved anywhere). I can't really see a way round this at the moment.

The main reasons people would buy them are:

1. Gifts to get people involved in bitcoins
2. Paypal is accepted for these giving an extra payment option and offering protection. Sending people bank transfers is not always 100% safe.
3. Security. I hate holding any large quantity of bitcoin in a single wallet and worry my computer will be breached or hacked. This way I could keep lots of paper 0.5 BTC and never have to worry that anyone will be able to steal them all.

Positive Feedback:  100%
Feedback score:  671

I believe you.

And those really are good reasons.

kodo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:54:54 PM

Woah, this is really cool!
raze

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:37:25 PM

Sure, but claiming to have designed it is going a bit far IMO, without mentioning the source.

Agreed. However, he said he printed them on cotton paper, which I guess gives a unique edge to what he's selling.

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
rebuilder
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:25:08 AM

Agreed. However, he said he printed them on cotton paper, which I guess gives a unique edge to what he's selling.

Different issue. To get back to the original subject of the thread - no, I don't see why these would be particularly desirable. The differences between buying one of these and printing a paper wallet yourself are:

-These will look nicer.
-You have to trust the seller to not store the private keys.

That's about it. The security hologram and scratch surface don't add much value IMO. Casascius coins use them because they are intended to be passed along. You can't use these for payment without accessing the private keys, or at least you shouldn't - these bills are much easier to forge than Casascius coins. So these are only useful for private storage, and for that, getting better paper and a flashy hologram does not seem to offset the risk of having to trust someone with your private keys.

SimplyBTC (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:12:12 AM

Right, I'm still making progress with these. The original artwork is open source and you can of course print them off yourself. However, not everyone can spend the time doing this and you usually have to buy the holograms and scratch area in bulk which is a pretty expensive way if you just want one as a gift. Then of course you have to use your own details to load the note which is what some people want to avoid in the first place.

I'm going to use www.bit2factor.org to make these '2 factor' bit notes. That way whenever someone buys one they enter a password on the site to generate an intermediate code. They then give this to me to generate the wallet address and private key. Without the original paraphrase they know there is no way I could ever redeem their funds which are now still stored off line and not in a single account. How does this sound?

Ill produce a batch next Monday and anyone wanting one can visit the site for one.

www.SimplyBTC.co.uk
sacko

Activity: 174
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:46:47 AM

Nice. How much will they cost (approx.)?
atomium
Donator

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Study the past, if you would divine the future.

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:38:35 PM

These look awesome!

How durable are they, how about sun or heat damage?
SimplyBTC (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:50:27 PM

That's for the replies. The cotton paper certainly makes a difference. I haven't done any long term tests yet but the ink seems fine for heat and sun. Just in the process of testing the security stickers to make sure they can't be removed. The cost is going to be £99 for 1 BTC. This seems to be the best I can get on the exchanges plus cost of materials. I can do other denominations as well. Postage would be around £6 for next day delivery or free 1st class.

Www.simplyBTC.co.uk

www.SimplyBTC.co.uk
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:01:44 PM

Pretty cool idea!
realdos

Activity: 167

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:13:07 PM

My points:
1. Everyone could make a paper wallet. The value you added on this product is the material you use to make the paper wallet (cotton) and the sticker you choose which somehow may be better than what people could get themselves (just a guess).
2. It's still too complicated for people to understand the two-factor bitcoin idea. IMHO, if people would spend time trying to understand this concept, they may be willing to make the paper wallet themselves rather than buy it online...
wopwop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:14:28 PM

I need new toilet paper

so yes, this could be useful

as long as its soft paper
data_teks

Activity: 267
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:29:52 PM

Yeah, I have been using this same design in my eBay auctions (see signature) for awhile now. Two people have bought from me and I actually had to create a note and send it to them (they didn't want instant transfer for some reason). However, I let them know of the security risk and encourage them to send/transfer the bitcoins as soon as they receive it. For my eBay notes that I did this with, I actually kept a copy of the private key until I can confirm they receive it just to avoid any issues with lost mail..etc  

Luckily of all my sales, I have only had to do this twice and it was for .10 bitcoins each time.

BTW; I actually have the tools to create my own paper from pulp (I do it for some of my drawings).  Been thinking about creating notes with a UV security strip (1 BTC..etc), color shifting ink and watermarks; much like US currency does. Would be a lot harder to counterfeit than a casascius coin but wouldn't have that same public trust that Mike has at the moment.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: