Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 09:04:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone suggest Best Operating system for Cryptocoin wallets  (Read 448 times)
eviaellis (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 11:35:59 AM

I am looking for secure and safe operating system to store my cryptocoins wallets.  Kindly suggest.
vrana

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 11:40:20 AM

I am using Ubuntu OS. I think it is safe. For Windows OS you have to use good antivirus and malware protection.
sukhdevs

Activity: 48
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 11:44:55 AM

I am using Microsoft Windows and CentOS on Oracle VM. Depends which OS is supported by wallet software.
moataz_ansary

Activity: 84

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 11:46:44 AM

I have Microsoft Windows 10 and working well with crypto coin wallets
patap0n

Activity: 60

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 11:47:48 AM

Spywares / malwares target mostly Windows and Macs as they have a much larger user base. Linux is targeted too, of course, but quite less. I'd go with the advice above : Ubuntu is safer than a Win/Mac environment, while remaining quite accessible to Linux new-comers. Be sure to do a tutorial or two to get a feeling of how it works (including terminal/command line operations), to avoid any mistakes, it won't take you long.

Which wallets are you planning to use ?
hendras

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 07:18:47 AM

I have windows 7 laptop. I tried ubuntu on virtual box. My laptop responded dam slow while running virtual os. I have checked it is due ram, may laptop has 2 GB ram only, it needs to be upgraded to at least 4gb for smooth running of  virtual os. Oracle vm idea looks safe to me. I will try it after ram upgradation.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 07:23:52 AM

any operating system works fine, even windows with proper precautions can be safe enough. but it depends on what you need to do, what level of security you need and also if you are familiar with linux and willing to learn it because if you don't know basics of using Linux in my experience, you can even end up losing money.

as for security just choose one of the distributions that you like to use. Ubuntu is popular, Mint is also popular, Tails is also popular because it has Tor integration.

also remember that the most secure system + wallet is the one that is following the cold storage guidelines. (aka clean system, never connected to internet)

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Yuuto

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 08:32:26 AM

Overall i think that Linux has probably got the best reputation and track record in terms of security for storing bitcoin wallets offline. But as long as you keep your OS clean you'll be fine, the chances of you getting hacked is very very low.

Windows is probably the worst since that's what all the hackers target. Mac is okay too.
PadenoM

Activity: 308
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 08:36:46 AM

the safest wallet is the offline wallet but there is still a risk that if the pc where you keep the offline wallet is destroyed then you can not do anything, print the wallet on a old printer with no internet connexion and no memory, then you can still lose the paper, so there is no safe, there is always a risk
swissgang

Activity: 462

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2017, 09:14:13 AM

Neither of the operating systems is safe, you should not store your private keys in your computer, because it can connect to internet anytime. Storing private keys safely is complicated.

svojoe
Legendary

Activity: 968
Merit: 1000

einc.io

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 09:34:45 AM

Basically crypto wallets support Windows OS. I'd like to recommend to use Windows 10 to use any kind of wallets + Trezor or Ledger Nano S hardware wallet to store private keys.

YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 10:00:27 AM

If you just have small amount of bitcoin it is better to choose from the different web wallet available and you think that is good for you and the most convenient to use in your country but if you have a larger amount of bitcoin then I suggest using Electrum that has a private key and you can download a portable version in their site because this is the one that I am using right now.

https://electrum.org/#download
cOoper_@yden19

Activity: 14

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 10:15:15 AM

I am looking for secure and safe operating system to store my cryptocoins wallets.  Kindly suggest.

i would like to suggest you windows and mac operating systems. because windows saves any kind of data and personal keys also. so you have to try once windows 10 operating systems. next mac operating systems.  both are more safe and secure. in any other operating system is not safe to use so you have to use windows 10 operating systems. here had no more risk and troubles. so windows is the best.
kiver

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 12:43:07 PM

I didn't complain when I used my cryptocoin wallets on my windows operation system (win 7)  to be exact it was working very smoothly I didn't try other operations though  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: