Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:09:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When buying ASICMINER shares how does the profit vs share work?  (Read 1505 times)
Kinetic915 (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:05:05 PM

When buying ASICMINER shares how does the profit vs share work?

thanks!

"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 08:09:46 PM

thanks!

I'd like To see this as well.  I have now 3 5GH butterfly rigs on order but none delivered.  I've read you can over clock butterfly's rigs to do double their spec output so that could put those 3 rigs as 30GH which wouldn't be bad unless difficulty skyrockets and I'm sure it will.

Are there any engineers or hackers around that can shine some light on how difficult it would be to over clock butterfly's 5GH unit, if/when it ships?  TIA.

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
CanadianGuy

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:10:59 PM

thanks!

I'd like To see this as well.  I have now 3 5GH butterfly rigs on order but none delivered.  I've read you can over clock butterfly's rigs to do double their spec output so that could put those 3 rigs as 30GH which wouldn't be bad unless difficulty skyrockets and I'm sure it will.

Are there any engineers or hackers around that can shine some light on how difficult it would be to over clock butterfly's 5GH unit, if/when it ships?  TIA.

seems kind off off-topic?
Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:29:51 PM

yes it is off topic. lol.  im sure its possible but probably very difficult.

Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:30:04 PM

anyone have any answer to my question? :/

Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:38:16 PM

I tried to get a confirmation here:
@ SmiGueL thanks you (nice signature).
____

Please correct my maths / understanding and forgive any stupid questions?   

Infrastructure costs, maintenance costs, labour costs, and R&D costs are deducted the profits.
Revenue is generated by Mining (24TH/s) and sales of Bitcoin ASIC hardware.
Profits are distributed to the 400,000 issued shares.
Is the above correct?

Each share today is generating about 60MH/s* + (profits from hardware sales)
AM are in R&D stage of a new chip to grow there hashing power?

*(24TH/s = 24000000MH/s / 400,000shares = 60MH/s per share)
Using a mining calculator you can get an estimate for the Mining dividend based on the cost of the share.

The OP has a fairly good explanation:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0;topicseen

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
No 1

Activity: 140

Ad Infinitum Et Ultra

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:55:48 PM

Stay away from shares.. Own Something!

Good day

12wqXQuExLnWoWWQy7j35hzBEW91bUz1YS
LcbBQ5oXtTjyKK4V8iaDqgUAAtahv9nsHR
Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:11:41 PM

anyone have any success with this?  / testimonials?

Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:16:45 PM

Good point above, (I have lost more BTC in shares than I have made. And my mining Rigs pay a higher dividend than any stock.)

http://www.havelockinvestments.com is one safer place to invest, but still risky.

The bottom line is you only need to invest in an inflating currency to hold your value.

Your value appreciates when you save in a deflationary economy, so no need to invest your BTC yet, other than building infrastructure to make it more voluble.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 11:28:54 PM

thanks!

Sorry, I didn't see the shares part.  I thought the question was regarding ASIC miners.

So shares meaning what?  Is that when you pay for a CPU or GPU from a company like cloudmining.com and its yours to mine 24/7?  Is that a share you guys are referring to.  It sounded like a good way to start to me until you get enough money to buy a big ASIC rig.

But then I thought, why would these people buy these ASIC miners and give the profits away so instinctively I'd say its probably mostly profitable for those selling shares of their ASIC miners. 

In an event where the price of bitcoins doubles overnight due to awareness or a double in difficulty (which I think both are coming soon) then having bought your ASIC share at a lower price then you would come out on top until your current share contract expires.

Quick question for you guys:  what's the best and most user friendly ASIC miner to buy?  From my research it is Butterfly labs but they're not shipping in any meaningful quantity.  Avalon is shipping but it's very barebones and much more expensive then Butterfly.  I have 3 butterfly units on order so I'm hoping they start shipping soon.

Good luck to everyone.

lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 03:21:12 AM

Stay away from shares.. Own Something!

Good day

Sigh...... every single time.... people just won't accept the golden rule....

DIVERSE

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
lophie

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 03:23:14 AM

thanks!

Sorry, I didn't see the shares part.  I thought the question was regarding ASIC miners.

So shares meaning what?  Is that when you pay for a CPU or GPU from a company like cloudmining.com and its yours to mine 24/7?  Is that a share you guys are referring to.  It sounded like a good way to start to me until you get enough money to buy a big ASIC rig.

But then I thought, why would these people buy these ASIC miners and give the profits away so instinctively I'd say its probably mostly profitable for those selling shares of their ASIC miners. 

In an event where the price of bitcoins doubles overnight due to awareness or a double in difficulty (which I think both are coming soon) then having bought your ASIC share at a lower price then you would come out on top until your current share contract expires.

Quick question for you guys:  what's the best and most user friendly ASIC miner to buy?  From my research it is Butterfly labs but they're not shipping in any meaningful quantity.  Avalon is shipping but it's very barebones and much more expensive then Butterfly.  I have 3 butterfly units on order so I'm hoping they start shipping soon.

Good luck to everyone.

ASICMINER != Asic Miner

ASICMINER is a company and the op is asking about the price shares vs the profit.

lophie

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 03:47:02 AM

I invested in ASICMINER since the IPO and got more shares later on. The current price is 24 times the IPO, Further more at the IPO Bitcoin exchange rate was ~$15, Now it is about nine-ten times more.

Profit against share this week was 0.02653753 while the share price was around 2.45 Which is around 1% of the current price and ~25% of the IPO price.

It is clear who invested since the IPO or even later but when the prices still under 1.5 have a great edge. So you missed that.

Now the divs are pretty good, Expected at more than 30% in dividents a year at the current prices. But that is assuming the div amount would be relatively stable and assuming that the price share would not drop sharply.

My personal advice and how I conduct my risk management is to consider ASICMINER to yield way less and worth less than the current share price and as the divs come I can estimate how much of price drop in shares I can tolerate, of course it differs from a person to the other.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 09:25:03 AM

thanks!

Good luck to everyone.

ASICMINER != Asic Miner

ASICMINER is a company and the op is asking about the price shares vs the profit.

What's their stock symbol?  I can't seem to find their stock.  Thanks.

mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 08:10:29 PM

Here is how it works:

You can buy ASICMiner shares on btct.co and bitfunder.com (I use Bitfunder).

There are two stocks G.ASICMINER-PT and TAT.ASICMINER. A TAT.ASICMINER is 1/100 of a G.ASICMINER-PT share so it's for people who want to buy smaller quantities.

There are 400,000 total shares in existence but most of them are not on the exchanges. They are the "real" shares that are held by the founders and by people who bought in at the IPO (I think). The ones on bitfunder and btct.co are passthrough shares which mean they get paid a dividend and don't get voting rights.

The dividend is paid every week based on the profits of the company. See this google doc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AkPdXsQFT-vIdHRVUjQ5Ql9BQWR6OENLMkhyUktUblE#gid=0

You can see in the last column is the estimated dividend for the past seven days. And then on every Wednesday there is an additional number. That is the actual dividend that is paid out per share. It's been much higher than the estimate for the past few weeks because the estimate only includes the profits from mining. There are also profits that come from sales of ASICMiner hardware.

In my opinon, it is still a very good investment. Current share price is 2.44 and this weeks dividend was 0.02653753. That's an amazing 56.5% yearly return (in less than two years you'll make your investment back from dividends alone). Most blue chip stocks pay something like 5% a year in dividends.

You get the dividend every week, typically Thursday morning although the amount is announced on Wednesday.

ASICMiner seems to be the only ASIC company that is doing it right, while both Avalon and Butterfly Labs have been faltering and experiencing significant delays. ASICMiner has consistently held about 25% of the worlds total mining power and I believe they can continue this for a long time into the future (at least for the next year). As they produce more hardware they have (wisely) opted to sell it instead of raises their mining share and risk destabilizing bitcoin. They had originally planned to go to 200 TH/s (more than twice the worlds total hash rate presently) by the end of the summer but they've held off due the fact they have no competition (which was not expected). They spend 50% of their profits investing in more mining hardware.

I admit I am biased as I own ASICMiner shares but I would recommend them as an investment if you have bitcoins you aren't otherwise spending presently.
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 10:42:03 PM

I admit I own ASICMINER shares.

I checked out their site and I like their USB stick ASIC miner but they have no info not even a price tag. Do you know where I can buy these ASIC miner USB sticks?  TIA.

ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:52:00 PM

I checked out their site and I like their USB stick ASIC miner but they have no info not even a price tag. Do you know where I can buy these ASIC miner USB sticks?  TIA.

Even as a stockholder of ASICMINER, I would recommend against the USB ASIC miners unless you want them as a novelty item.

They are currently selling (if you are able to get them on here) at ~2BTC for 300 mh/s.  While it has a very low electricity draw, it's unlikely it will return 2BTC.
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 05:50:39 PM

I checked out their site and I like their USB stick ASIC miner but they have no info not even a price tag. Do you know where I can buy these ASIC miner USB sticks?  TIA.

Even as a stockholder of ASICMINER, I would recommend against the USB ASIC miners unless you want them as a novelty item.

They are currently selling (if you are able to get them on here) at ~2BTC for 300 mh/s.  While it has a very low electricity draw, it's unlikely it will return 2BTC.

I saw that and I had an offer but I turned it down. It's 2 bitcoins if you do a group buy.  People are paying $550 for this stick.  That's crazy, it would take at least 1 year to get your money back, and that's presuming the difficulty doesn't skyrocket, which it will (at least double) by summer's end once all these ASICS hit the street.

That's why I'm trying to get at least 30GH from butterfly labs, I presume it will be like 15GH today which is at least something decent, something to start with. 

Thanks for the reply.

talz0r

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 10:27:09 PM

You can simply go on Havelock's website and look at the weekly divident payouts per unit owned.  Is that what OP is asking?

https://www.havelockinvestments.com/fund.php?symbol=ASICM#ui-tabs-3
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: