Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 06:37:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If you still trust MtGox read this story -- 700 EUR stolen!  (Read 3903 times)
glebm (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:53:44 PM

Gox also says quite clearly that their system will not work with SatoshiDice.

Ah, but the the "quite" part is in the eye of the first person that did not see it.
Please be advised, that MtGox only lets you know about this incompatibility if you happen to hover over one of the identical blue help icons on that page.
WuLabsWuTecH

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:55:41 PM

You lost the bet - you lost the money you never owned - don't gamble.

I'm not usually one to bash others, but the amount of stupidity concentrated in one sentence here astounds me.

He won the bet.  The original bitcoin, if in fact it was from his account he clearly owned.  And wouldn't losing money that wasn't even yours in the first place be an incentive to gamble?  By  that definition, you could only win and not lose anything because you didn't own the principal...

that sentence made my head hurt.  I'll be back after getting an aspirin...

edit: head hurt so much that I made a lot of typos. Fixed now! Smiley
WuLabsWuTecH

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:56:58 PM

Gox also says quite clearly that their system will not work with SatoshiDice.

Ah, but the the "quite" part is in the eye of the first person that did not see it.
Please be advised, that MtGox only lets you know about this incompatibility if you happen to hover over one of the identical blue help icons on that page.

It's also on satoshidice's page.  Once again, do your due diligence beforehand.  It's still not GOX's fault.  And I hope by now you have set up your own ewallet or desktop wallet somewhere and aren't using gox as your personal wallet right?
nottm28

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:00:22 AM

You lost the bet - you lost the money you never owned - don't gamble.

I'm not usually one to bash others, but the amount of stupidity concentrated in one sentence here astounds me.

He won the bet.  The original bitcoin, if in fact it was from his account he clearly owned.  And wouldn't losing money that wasn't even yours in the first place be an incentive to gamble?  By  that definition, you could only win and not lose anything because you didn't own the principal...

that sentence made my head hurt.  I'll be back after getting an aspirin...

edit: head hurt so much that I made a lot of typos. Fixed now! Smiley

The irony was clearly lost here - warning

donations not accepted
glebm (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:06:00 AM

Irrelevant: it only matters if it is regulated AT THE TIME of the issue arising.

It doesn't matter whether BTC itself is regulated right now for the issue at hand. What matters is that MtGox is regulated.
Note that in the scenario where I go through the police, it is actually possible to prove everything (which is the main reason money laundering via bitcoin does not happen en masse yet), as long as the investigation gains access to MtGox data, which is what would happen in Germany, but before that I could try it in Japan.

Not that I will actually go to the police myself, I don't have time for that Smiley
Any lawyer interested to try a BitCoin case, do a good deed and make some cash?
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 12:07:18 AM

Yes, but MtGox does log my send transaction, and does know about the received transaction from SatoshiDice. For each transaction they know about the exit point, the following entry point, and they can trace the final point at an MtGox address tied to an MtGox account.
Right, but the problem is that it traces to a MtGox account that is not yours. MtGox uses Bitcoin accounts to receive money. When they spend that money, it comes from their receiving addresses. So your payment went to someone else's receiving address.

I have a deposit address at Mt. Gox. Say I send 10 BTC to that account. The 10 BTC will be sent to *my* Mt. Gox receiving address. Now, say you send 1 BTC to SD. If it uses some of my 10 BTC, which it might, then your transaction's sending address will be my transaction's receiving address. To Mt. Gox, it will look like I am depositing more Bitcoins.

IMO, it is SD that is broken. It does not make sense to automatically send Bitcoins to an address just because it sent Bitcoins to you. There is no way to know that the recipient will bear any logical relationship to the actual sender.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
WuLabsWuTecH

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:10:23 AM

I'm a graduate student who is in his 13th hour of cramming for finals next week.  I might need a break cut to me...

And the headache might be due to the studying... lol
WuLabsWuTecH

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:11:03 AM

It doesn't matter whether BTC itself is regulated right now for the issue at hand. What matters is that MtGox is regulated.
Note that in the scenario where I go through the police, it is actually possible to prove everything (which is the main reason money laundering via bitcoin does not happen en masse yet), as long as the investigation gains access to MtGox data, which is what would happen in Germany, but before that I could try it in Japan.

Not that I will actually go to the police myself, I don't have time for that Smiley
Any lawyer interested to try a BitCoin case, do a good deed and make some cash?

If anything this would be small claims.  Read: you aren't gonna see this money anytime soon.
nottm28

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:12:34 AM

I'm a graduate student who is in his 13th hour of cramming for finals next week.  I might need a break cut to me...

Break cut to you - good luck with the exams.

donations not accepted
WuLabsWuTecH

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:13:23 AM

Yes, but MtGox does log my send transaction, and does know about the received transaction from SatoshiDice. For each transaction they know about the exit point, the following entry point, and they can trace the final point at an MtGox address tied to an MtGox account.
Right, but the problem is that it traces to a MtGox account that is not yours. MtGox uses Bitcoin accounts to receive money. When they spend that money, it comes from their receiving addresses. So your payment went to someone else's receiving address.

I have a deposit address at Mt. Gox. Say I send 10 BTC to that account. The 10 BTC will be sent to *my* Mt. Gox receiving address. Now, say you send 1 BTC to SD. If it uses some of my 10 BTC, which it might, then your transaction's sending address will be my transaction's receiving address. To Mt. Gox, it will look like I am depositing more Bitcoins.

IMO, it is SD that is broken. It does not make sense to automatically send Bitcoins to an address just because it sent Bitcoins to you. There is no way to know that the recipient will bear any logical relationship to the actual sender.

Well, SD is probably assuming that money is coming from a wallet that you control--which is not a bad assumption.  The alternative would be to require a return address somehow and creation of accounts and that's probably just a lot more trouble than it's worth.  But yes, the hard part is proving that the money isn't someone else's.  Gox is well within the realm of logic to assume that the BTC that was sent back to you from SD was a deposit to someone else's account.
glebm (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:15:48 AM

If anything this would be small claims.  Read: you aren't gonna see this money anytime soon.

You are right, then of course this is not about money, but this is about teaching MtGox proper manners! And for the lawyer, trying a BTC case (of which many will follow), doing a good deed, and doing their job.
nottm28

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:18:05 AM

If anything this would be small claims.  Read: you aren't gonna see this money anytime soon.

You are right, then of course this is not about money, but this is about teaching MtGox proper manners! And for the lawyer, trying a BTC case (of which many will follow), doing a good deed, and doing their job.

Might be better to encourage people to 'learn' rather than forcing your 'teachings' upon them. Never more so when it comes to gambling and other addictions.

donations not accepted
glebm (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:19:21 AM

Might be better to encourage people to 'learn' rather than forcing your 'teachings' upon them. Never more so when it comes to gambling and other addictions.

I will still "gamble", I will just not do it with MtGox anymore!  Tongue
WuLabsWuTecH

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:21:27 AM

Thank you kind sir! Smiley
WuLabsWuTecH

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:23:47 AM

Hey it's only an addiction if you have a problem!  And I don't have a problem!!! o_O

But yes, please for the love of God learn from this and learn how to use your own wallet and it's purposes vs what the wallets on exchanges are used for.  And yes, you are a newbie (hence posting in this forum) so do take some time to read around to avoid the mistakes others have made.  Hopefully others behind you will read this thread and will learn from your mistakes as well.
WuLabsWuTecH

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:24:46 AM

And regardless of me defending GOX today, I still don't use them and don't plan on ever trying to use them again--they have some terrible customer support in regards to how long it takes to get issues resolved!  The one time I tried trading with them, over a month later and my account still was not all the way set up!
nottm28

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:27:30 AM

Good luck with that Smiley

donations not accepted
nottm28

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:28:25 AM

Thank you kind sir! Smiley

You are very welcome - I remember (vaguely) that stress.

donations not accepted
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3235

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:29:19 AM

Thanks Joel. That was a very clear explanation.

It unfortunate that the Mt. Gox reps were unable to come up with any explanation.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 12:34:48 AM

Well, SD is probably assuming that money is coming from a wallet that you control--which is not a bad assumption.  The alternative would be to require a return address somehow and creation of accounts and that's probably just a lot more trouble than it's worth.  But yes, the hard part is proving that the money isn't someone else's. Gox is well within the realm of logic to assume that the BTC that was sent back to you from SD was a deposit to someone else's account.
Right. The point is that Gox did the right thing. You can argue endlessly over whether Bitcoin is broken because it doesn't provide a return mechanism, SD is broken because it acts as if Bitcoin did provide such a mechanism, SD is broken because it didn't provide adequate warnings, the user is at fault because they didn't pay attention to the clear warnings, and so on. But there is no way this is Gox's fault. Either SD didn't provide adequate warnings that they make unusual assumptions or the user didn't pay attention to adequate warnings. Gox's behavior here is completely normal and, most likely, they credited the deposit to another user because SD sent the deposit to some other user's deposit address.

There is no simple way Gox can make this work.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: