Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:27:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Distributed ownership  (Read 2331 times)
Stn (OP)

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:18:51 AM

I have got an idea in my mind and partially it relies on this topic. I learned that there is technology of distributed private key exists. Private key split and distributed among several parties. When necessary the key can be assembled back.

Unfortunately I have no detailed view on deep principles of Bitcoin. I wonder is collective ownership can be somehow applied to the existing Bitcoin network? Say employing special client software. As I see it there is one peer who have to do all the work creating address and private key for it. Then this peer gets dominance over others, owner of the peer may peep the key.

Am I missing anything? May be there is a way to create true distributed key?
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stn (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:33:18 AM

Just for better understanding. I think of Bitcoin address the owner can't spend until certain conditions met.
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:57:22 AM

Am I missing anything? May be there is a way to create true distributed key?

There are N of M signing rules.  Anyone can create the a transaction spending the coin.  It is only valid if at least N of the M owners sign it.

This has to happen off chain, so as you say, it would require special software.  The final transaction signed by N owners is then submitted to the chain.

As for a distributed key, it is possible to take a key (or any number) and split it into a "shared secret".  This works the same way, if you only have (N-1) of the required shares, then you have zero information about the secret.  However, once you have N shares, you can easily compute the key.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
mr_john

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:28:10 PM

Maybe this 2-of-3 example is helpful:
https://gist.github.com/gavinandresen/3966071

john Smiley
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:54:30 PM

Might be useful https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Contracts

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Stn (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:57:30 AM

Thanks guys. It is more or less clear how distributed key works. My problem was how to generate this key off center (no single worker which owner have probably seen all parts of the key).

It looks promising. I'll learn it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: