Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 03:57:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 0.8.2 BETA  (Read 1137 times)
5120-01-518-6126 (OP)

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

< My mining rig >

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:23:18 AM

Received an email alert from Sourceforge that a 0.8.2 update to Bitcoin client was available -- downloaded and installed, then restarted the app from the installer finish button.  Welcome screen showed Bitcoin 0.8.2 BETA, then my AV kicked in saying it had blocked 2 malicious intrusion attempts from checkip.dyndns.org (216.146.39.70) on port 80.  It appears the attack was asking for routing data all the way in to the internal network IP of my PC.  Not good.
jaywaka2713

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:31:12 AM

Received an email alert from Sourceforge that a 0.8.2 update to Bitcoin client was available -- downloaded and installed, then restarted the app from the installer finish button.  Welcome screen showed Bitcoin 0.8.2 BETA, then my AV kicked in saying it had blocked 2 malicious intrusion attempts from checkip.dyndns.org (216.146.39.70) on port 80.  It appears the attack was asking for routing data all the way in to the internal network IP of my PC.  Not good.

What AV do you use? I installed it and see no issues or flags. Probably a false positive.

drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:37:45 AM

I got the email also, and my immediate reaction was one of suspicion.

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
5120-01-518-6126 (OP)

< My mining rig >

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:48:43 AM

What AV do you use? I installed it and see no issues or flags. Probably a false positive.

Using Norton 360.  Same thing happens when I restart the Litecoin client -- so perhaps a false positive.  I'll report it to Symantec and see if they flagged checkip.dyndns.org for something other than routine heuristics.
jaywaka2713

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:52:31 AM

Using Norton 360.  Same thing happens when I restart the Litecoin client -- so perhaps a false positive.  I'll report it to Symantec and see if they flagged checkip.dyndns.org for something other than routine heuristics.

Look at resources such as HackForums and you will see the hoard of viruses out there that bypass Norton products. I suggest BitDefender. Norton certainly has some of the best features, but its actual protection is crap. Also, most anti-viruses (such as BitDefender) do mark anything that ties to minerd at all because of Botnet mining that has been going on these days.

5120-01-518-6126 (OP)

< My mining rig >

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:09:47 AM

Well, that sucks.  Went through 5 minutes of filling out an erroneous detection report at Symantec, waited another five minutes while the stuff uploaded, and then got this:

Server Error
This server has encountered an internal error which prevents it from fulfilling your request. The most likely cause is a misconfiguration. Please ask the administrator to look for messages in the server's error log.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:26:05 AM

Symantec + Norton i.e. the big commercial anti-virus products suck ass big time. They always have.

Use something decent instead of services that promise protection without delivering it.
jaywaka2713

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:26:57 AM

Well, that sucks.  Went through 5 minutes of filling out an erroneous detection report at Symantec, waited another five minutes while the stuff uploaded, and then got this:

Server Error
This server has encountered an internal error which prevents it from fulfilling your request. The most likely cause is a misconfiguration. Please ask the administrator to look for messages in the server's error log.

Likewise, another issue with Norton. When I had it, I was never able to send in detection reports. I tried searching for fixes and solutions but never found one. It is a common error. I think it's time to switch buddy.

5120-01-518-6126 (OP)

< My mining rig >

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:12:43 PM

Likewise, another issue with Norton. When I had it, I was never able to send in detection reports. I tried searching for fixes and solutions but never found one. It is a common error. I think it's time to switch buddy.

Yeah, I think you're right.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: