Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:45:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to cryptos - wallets/coins  (Read 322 times)
Kurko (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:49:41 AM

Hi everyone,

I am new to the crypto space but have done some weeks of research into the the topic and various coins/ICO's, the whole topic is fantastic and hopefully the sector will grow substantially in the future.

I have few questions I hope someone could assist me with:

1 - what are the best wallet options? Web and desk based are not secure I have read from multiple forums/articles which leaves Nano Ledger etc as the best options?

2 - Based on what I have researched/read, I am getting a feeling privacy coins/concepts will probably gather quite a bit of momemtum in the future, would anyone agree with this? especially in the light of all the Chinese FUD etc, this is probably an area that will gain more attention in the future?

3 - ICO's, seem to be nearly impossible to get in (e.g Monetha sold in some 15 or so mins, lottery to get tokes) and it seems after hitting exchanges theres quite often a fair bit of dumping and prices come down a lot - best strategy to wait and see how they develop (and of course support the ones you believe in from the ICO stage if you get them..)

Any help/views would be great!

Thanks!
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
escapefrom3dom

Activity: 1932
Merit: 288

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 09:06:42 AM

Hi everyone,

I am new to the crypto space but have done some weeks of research into the the topic and various coins/ICO's, the whole topic is fantastic and hopefully the sector will grow substantially in the future.

I have few questions I hope someone could assist me with:

1 - what are the best wallet options? Web and desk based are not secure I have read from multiple forums/articles which leaves Nano Ledger etc as the best options?

2 - Based on what I have researched/read, I am getting a feeling privacy coins/concepts will probably gather quite a bit of momemtum in the future, would anyone agree with this? especially in the light of all the Chinese FUD etc, this is probably an area that will gain more attention in the future?

3 - ICO's, seem to be nearly impossible to get in (e.g Monetha sold in some 15 or so mins, lottery to get tokes) and it seems after hitting exchanges theres quite often a fair bit of dumping and prices come down a lot - best strategy to wait and see how they develop (and of course support the ones you believe in from the ICO stage if you get them..)

Any help/views would be great!

Thanks!

1. general rule: if u don't manage private keys - u don't own ur coins. local wallets – best choise.

2. speed and anonymity of transactions – one of the most important criteria.

3. ICO is a lottery – it's very difficult to find a promising project at the stage of it's inception.

sabbathhawk

Activity: 266
Merit: 106

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2017, 09:07:05 AM

1. The best wallet for cryptocurrency is hardware wallet. There are several trusted companies like Ledger, Trezor and KeepKey. At the moment Ledger is the best. All of them support different cryptocurrencies. Next option after hardware wallet are wallet on ios, but not all only opensource and trusted. The best one for bitcoin is Breadwallet. But anyway if you want to sleep calm please buy hardware wallet
2. Yes and no. Privacy one of good features of coin but not the most important. Scale ability, smart contracts, infrastructure etc. all of them add value to coin
3. There are tons of ICO, some are hyped some are undervalued. You don't have such amount of money to invest in all ICOs for now. Research and find your ICO. Here on bitcointalk there is separate topic for ICOs and altcoins. Check it out    

▐▐   ▬▬▬▬▬   DeepOnion   ▬▬▬▬▬   ▌▌
████    40 PUBLIC AIRDROPS COMPLETED    TOR INTEGRATED    ████
▬▬▬▬   (✔) DeepVault Blockchain File Signatures  •  VoteCentral Your Vote Counts  •  deeponion.org   ▬▬▬▬
Kurko (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 09:14:47 AM

Thanks for your quick replies!

Wallets - I think I will place my nano order in Smiley How does Myetherwallet rank in terms of security, I do hold my private keys right?

Privacy - need to expand my research to cover and combine the other aspects to identify good options

ICOs - Agreed, there way too many ICOs taking place now, impossible to research and cover all. I will go deep into the ICO/altcoins threads to educate myself and will try to focus on few ICOs which tick the boxes in terms of team, roadmap etc.

Thanks!
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 09:23:23 AM

Thanks for your quick replies!

Wallets - I think I will place my nano order in Smiley How does Myetherwallet rank in terms of security, I do hold my private keys right?

Privacy - need to expand my research to cover and combine the other aspects to identify good options

ICOs - Agreed, there way too many ICOs taking place now, impossible to research and cover all. I will go deep into the ICO/altcoins threads to educate myself and will try to focus on few ICOs which tick the boxes in terms of team, roadmap etc.

Thanks!

Myetherwallet is fine if you know what you're doing, and yes you hold your private keys. But ofcourse you're always better off with a hardware wallet like trezor/ledger nano.

Just a heads up on looking for ICOs: don't jump in and invest a huge amount on ICOs just because alot of people are getting in on it. I'm almost 100% sure a good number of ICO investors don't read shit about a project, they just go with the hype. If you're in some facebook cryptocurrency groups you would get what I mean. Tongue   Goodluck!

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DariaPT

Activity: 85
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:45:05 PM

.... I'm almost 100% sure a good number of ICO investors don't read shit about a project, they just go with the hype.
haha...fair enough  Grin
altcoinbeat

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2017, 03:43:10 AM

1. Cold storage is the most secure way to go (offline wallet).

2. Anonymous transfers are a big draw of crypto but the blockchain has much greater applications. We haven't even begun to scratch the surface.

3. ICO's are a total crapshoot. Buyer beware.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: