Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 01:56:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you ever recieve payment by mistake?  (Read 1340 times)
xIIImaL
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 05:05:08 PM

I also heard/ read that people gets coins by mistake some of them received big amount of coins.
But I never get .
When I heard about them I start thinking that one day I will receive more than 10 Bitcoin by mistake but it never happens from, ( still sometime think same from last 2 years)

That means they are lucky bee for the reason received the bitcoin fortunately, sadly I didn't receive any money incorrectly since I am being here in the forum for 2 years.
I believe most luckiest person is who got 10000 bitcoin for pizza at early stage in 2009.
One time I lost bitcoin from my blockchain wallet when trying to google it and get into the site with wallet id and password.
Martisor-Sobru

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 06:05:53 PM

Indeed, the probability of a transfer going to an existing address are similar (or the same?) to the possibility of generating an address that already exists. Astronomically small.

Correct.
Your posting settles discussion.
MisterKT

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 06:09:06 PM

I don't think it is possible since the succession of letters and numbers of address is very precise
tk808
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 06:12:37 PM

https://blockchain.info/address/1CounterpartyXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXUWLpVr

Get this address/private key, and your kids, grandchildren, and their grandchildren will always honor your name.
parat8t9

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 06:16:28 PM

I did receive a very small amount of Neo <0.01 and a few hundred Lumens on Bittrex out of no where. I'm not really sure how this happen, but it turned out to be a few bucks worth of crypto.
Koadharber

Activity: 1065
Merit: 510

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 06:24:17 PM

There are a lot of ppl who has sent money to the wrong address. But I curios, is there somebody who received payments by mistake? How much if yes?
I have a friend which do recieved funds which he didnt expect and as far as i remember it was 0.5 btc back in the past on where the price isnt too high as of now.I know  there are lots of people do have this kind of situation on recieving something from those people who do send amounts mistakenly.Well lucky for those people who do got some free blessings,its up to them if they would give it back or not.
I havent encountered this kind of situation. Receive payment by mistakes is something you cannot controlled and in this case I dont know how to track where the payment from. And yes it depends on a person if they will return it back.
I bet most people wont really give those funds back considering that this is a free money and no one would able to find out on who are you or the holder of such address.Those transfers cant really be reversed this is why im careful on typing addresses when im paying someone so that it wont go on other wallets.
Wingo

Activity: 686
Merit: 107

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 06:26:40 PM

I have never experience that and the probability that it would happen is very low. That's why the wallet addresses are encrypted. It is for the reason to avoid these things from happening.
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 06:30:09 PM

There are a lot of ppl who has sent money to the wrong address. But I curios, is there somebody who received payments by mistake? How much if yes?
I have a friend which do recieved funds which he didnt expect and as far as i remember it was 0.5 btc back in the past on where the price isnt too high as of now.I know  there are lots of people do have this kind of situation on recieving something from those people who do send amounts mistakenly.Well lucky for those people who do got some free blessings,its up to them if they would give it back or not.
I havent encountered this kind of situation. Receive payment by mistakes is something you cannot controlled and in this case I dont know how to track where the payment from. And yes it depends on a person if they will return it back.
I bet most people wont really give those funds back considering that this is a free money and no one would able to find out on who are you or the holder of such address.Those transfers cant really be reversed this is why im careful on typing addresses when im paying someone so that it wont go on other wallets.

Well why not?
I received some "extra" funds from a campaign manager once due to accidentally putting in BTC0.1 instead of BTC0.01 and they immediately contacted me the next minute they committed it. I agreed to pay the remaining BTC0.09 back to them without arising any difficulties for them. All it takes is honesty to deal with such situations and it's all a matter of honesty and greed only because for many, money maybe important but for those like me, trust is priceless.
bucksman5233

Activity: 264

TV TWO - Connect your TV to ETH Blockchain

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2017, 06:37:24 PM

I've never recieved any payment by mistake instead I've made many mistakes when sending payment like I had sent BTC to wrong address later I realised that the copied address is wrong. Same thing like this was also happened, I sent ETH to an exchange instead of OMG but it was recovered and they charged small fees.

rytyr

Activity: 473
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 06:45:51 PM

I always wondered that and my kid said that I should just create new addresses all the time and keep them empty in the wallets so that it increases the chances of having coins sent by mistake Roll Eyes
CosaNostra

Activity: 843
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 06:50:33 PM

The probability of getting funds by mistake to own adress may be calculated from the algorithm, how bitcoin addresses are created and may lay at 1:2^160. The probability of sending BTC to any valid adress by typing the wrong characters even lays at 1: over 4 Billions. So I can't imagine, that we would find here many people, who got funds in that way except by copy paste errors.

Due to this probability the person who received money by mistake can be called the chosen one Smiley) But if we want to calculate real probability we should multiply 1:2^160 for count of transaction at choosen period of time. If we take the whole period of existence (BTC, ETH, etc...) the probability of mistake would be much higher!

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
coinfoundry

Activity: 292

Miningcore

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2017, 09:19:26 PM

It didn't happen to me & I have never read about that....but am still waiting Smiley

Made my day buddy  Grin

Miningcore.pro - Stress-Free, Reliable Crypto Mining. Period.
NoMar02

Activity: 180

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 09:33:02 PM

I wonder the possibility to receive any tokens by mistake is real high and would be awesome.  Smiley
frumjanet

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 09:42:25 PM

It seems like the odds of that happening are so infinitesimally small, due to the fact there are only so many valid addresses out there, and yet there's some incredible amount of potential addresses (something like 2^160), so you'd have such a small chance of that happening; you would probably have a better shot of winning the lottery while getting struck by lightning at the same time.

I'd rather spend my time digging in landfills trying to find old HDD's with BTC's.
J. Cooper

Activity: 294
Merit: 125

Alea iacta est

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 09:47:45 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2017, 05:09:05 PM by J. Cooper

I haven't and I probably never will. The chances of actually getting an accidental payment are so slim considering the fact that there are millions of addresses out there. But of course there's always that small chance of you getting lucky but I'm not really counting on that.
Mariya03

Activity: 124
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 05:48:36 AM

No, I haven't receive any payment because I am only a new member here in Bitcoin. But I think the possibility of sending payments are very high due to population of receivers and the percentage of the address's similarities.

Martisor-Sobru

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 06:27:42 AM

I did receive a very small amount of Neo <0.01 and a few hundred Lumens on Bittrex out of no where. I'm not really sure how this happen, but it turned out to be a few bucks worth of crypto.

airdrop
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2017, 06:57:16 AM

I received 0.1 either ontop of the 0.01 i was owned or instead in a loan i gave out a while back, My address attached to my account got sent a really small amount as well which im not sure where it came from unless i did some campaign and cant remember =p

xiaohang07

Activity: 392
Merit: 253

Open and Transparent Science Powered By Blockchain

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:09:18 AM

I once joined a ICO, and they payed me more than I should get. For example, I purchased 2000 tokens with 0.5 bitcoin and they actually delivered 4000 tokens to me by mistake, I assume. It happens.  Smiley

renes

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:10:53 AM

But the chance to receive a payment that is sent by mistake should be very little so I never think about something like that.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: