Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:08:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Android wallet balance viewer  (Read 8139 times)
willphase (OP)

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 10:17:28 PM

Just pushed 1.3.0 to the Android Market!

New Features:
 * Now displays your balance in a fiat currency of your choice (data feed courtesy of the fine folks at bitcoincharts.com)
 * Widget on homescreen now displays total balance of your linked wallets
 * Can now import from the output of many other tools such as pywallet.py - making it even easier to load your public address keys into your phone!

Remember, Bitcoin Wallet Balance does not need your private keys, but links a live feed of your wallet to your phone - no need to download the block chain either!

Please read the FAQ or the Quick Start Guide.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements, or if you encounter any issues.

Will

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
InstaGx

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 10:34:55 AM

I've got a problem with the app. In detail:
I exported the public keys and imported them via sdcard into the app. Next I pressed update. I think I saw the correct balance for a second. After that - force close.
Now it's instantly force closing every time I try to open the app.

I'm using Android 2.1. Also I changed the currency to EUR after the first start (and before loading the keys).
You can PM me if you need any additional details.

Buy High - Sell Low
willphase (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 10:56:16 AM

I exported the public keys and imported them via sdcard into the app. Next I pressed update. I think I saw the correct balance for a second. After that - force close.

I'm using Android 2.1. Also I changed the currency to EUR after the first start (and before loading the keys).

Thanks for your post!  Can you send the bug report to Google if it gives you the option? - then I get the stack trace then and it should tell me exactly what the problem is.  I'm going to be relasing a new version on Sunday so I'll try and get the fix in before then.  I know of some issues related to invalid Date Formats - so you could try deleting the app configuration (settings->applications->manage applications->wallet balance->Clear Data) and see if that makes a difference?

Will

InstaGx

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 11:17:09 AM

Thanks for your post!  Can you send the bug report to Google if it gives you the option? - then I get the stack trace then and it should tell me exactly what the problem is.  I'm going to be relasing a new version on Sunday so I'll try and get the fix in before then.  I know of some issues related to invalid Date Formats - so you could try deleting the app configuration (settings->applications->manage applications->wallet balance->Clear Data) and see if that makes a difference?

Will

After clearing the data the app can be started again. But the wallet is gone and the key file has to be imported again. After the update the app fcs again.
I've send the bug report.

Buy High - Sell Low
willphase (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 11:24:09 AM

Will

After clearing the data the app can be started again. But the wallet is gone and the key file has to be imported again. After the update the app fcs again.

Thanks - I got the bug report - it seems to be the same issue I saw on the morning of 3 Aug (was that you?) which is related to something to do with date parsing... I think the issue might be the date format you are using - might I ask which language your phone is set to...?  I'll make some fixes to the app this weekend and it should solve the issue anyway.  Until then please accept my apologies for the problems and thanks for submitting the bug report.

Will

InstaGx

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 11:33:49 AM

Will

Thanks - I got the bug report - it seems to be the same issue I saw on the morning of 3 Aug (was that you?) which is related to something to do with date parsing... I think the issue might be the date format you are using - might I ask which language your phone is set to...?  I'll make some fixes to the app this weekend and it should solve the issue anyway.  Until then please accept my apologies for the problems and thanks for submitting the bug report.

Will

I tried the app for the first time today. My phone language is German and my timezone MESZ (which is UTC+2). I looked into the wallet data file in the app directory with Root explorer and found the date format that is saved. Sat Aug 06 13:22:09 MESZ 2011 is an example.

Also it seems that the force close might be triggered every time the app tries to load this file. I noticed that an initial update isn't necessary to get a fc. Restarting the app after importing the addresses has the same effect.

Buy High - Sell Low
willphase (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 12:01:32 PM

I tried the app for the first time today. My phone language is German and my timezone MESZ (which is UTC+2). I looked into the wallet data file in the app directory with Root explorer and found the date format that is saved. Sat Aug 06 13:22:09 MESZ 2011 is an example.

Also it seems that the force close might be triggered every time the app tries to load this file. I noticed that an initial update isn't necessary to get a fc. Restarting the app after importing the addresses has the same effect.

Yes it's definitely related to the way I store the date in the file, I was already planning on changing it to a unix datetime this weekend based on the a few bug reports from 3 Aug (identical to yours) so it should solve the issue.  When I set my timezone/language to German/+2 GMT I could replicate the FC as well.  Thanks again for the detailed report.

Edit: in my defence, arguably this is a bug in Java Date... I was assuming that date.equals(new Date( date.toString() ) ); but obviously not... Smiley

Will

willphase (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:20:25 PM

I've pushed version 1.3.1 to fix this date parsing issue - it's already on the Android market.  This is just a bugfix release, I'll push 1.4 once I have some new features.  If you currently have a unreadable wallet because of the parsing bug then you will need to update the balance once to fix the dates.

Will

simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 08:32:21 AM

No joy here.  Installed it this morning but I just get an error message about the JSON.  No details are downloaded.
willphase (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 03:52:24 PM

No joy here.  Installed it this morning but I just get an error message about the JSON.  No details are downloaded.

when do you get this error?  When updating your balance?

JSON error at that point probably means the response from blockexplorer has been mangled in some way.  Possibly a proxy cutting the request?  I'm going to release a new version soon where you get to specify the length of the GET request to avoid this issue with some transparent proxies.

Thanks for letting me know the issue.

Will

simonk83

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 07:58:54 PM

No joy here.  Installed it this morning but I just get an error message about the JSON.  No details are downloaded.

when do you get this error?  When updating your balance?

JSON error at that point probably means the response from blockexplorer has been mangled in some way.  Possibly a proxy cutting the request?  I'm going to release a new version soon where you get to specify the length of the GET request to avoid this issue with some transparent proxies.

Thanks for letting me know the issue.

Will

Yep, when updating balance.  "JSON Parse Error".

Hopefully the new version fixes it, this is a good idea Smiley
willphase (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 10:22:28 PM

Just pushed 1.4.0 to the Android Market.

This fixes the issue that simonk83's (and others, I suspect) was having where the application was not correctly handling coinbase transactions (e.g. those from Eligius).  It also adds some options for setting the maximum number of addresses to request at a time (for those people who have reported being behind proxies that are truncating the GET request) and also allows you to pick the number of decimal places to show when displaying balances.

Thanks for all those giving feedback - I do try to listen to my users so if you have any suggestions please post here or raise an issue on the Google code page.

Cheers,

Will

simonk83

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 12:51:45 AM

Works fine, thanks Smiley

Quick question, and I'm not sure if this is possible at all.  Are you able to show the "simple" names we've assigned to addresses in our client?  For example, I've assigned "Slush" to an address so I can easily see which particular payments are from them.

Is that possible to pass over at all?
simonk83

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 03:41:07 AM

Ok, bit of feedback Wink

It (the individual transaction view) appears to be combining payments.  This is a little annoying.

For example, yesterday I got three payments from three different pools, all to three different addresses.   At first, only the last payment appeared in the app.  I left it for a while, and eventually found that I had to do a Force Update before the rest appeared, but now it grouped the second two txns into one amount.    It's done the same this morning with two other payments.

Right now it's very handy for seeing at a glance how much total you have, but it's not great for seeing individual payments that come in.

Not sure if that can be fixed up?  (and my suggestion in the post above would be awesome) Cheesy
willphase (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 09:45:26 PM

It'll group transactions that occur in the same block.  This was done to avoid seeing both the out and the change transaction in different columns in the transactions list.  I'll see if I can work out a better way to do this based on the txhash rather than just on block timestamps.

Your other suggestion is a good one, but I can't easily get the friendly names from the bitcoin client - even pywallet (whose great JSON wallet export my app now happily accepts) doesn't seem to export the friendly names.  I think what I'll probably do is allow you to just label the names again in the client and it'll persist those names.  I'll try and get that in the next release.

Will

DannyM

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 02:44:13 AM

This would make a nice PC app for use without a phone.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 08:54:15 AM

Hi,

Can you make a decode tool that also exports the private keys? Something much simpler than currently available, and works just like your existing decode tool for public keys.

Thank you.

willphase (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 05:55:05 PM

Hi,

Can you make a decode tool that also exports the private keys? Something much simpler than currently available, and works just like your existing decode tool for public keys.

Thank you.

Hi - pywallet is pretty simple to use, and what I recommend for everyone, since it has all the crypt to decode the encrypted private keys.

Will

aneutronic

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 08:53:51 PM

Great app Will!   Thanks for your efforts.
JakeGold

Activity: 96

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 11:49:13 AM

Is anyone else getting the "Warning: unable to obtain currency information" error when trying to update the currency equivalent?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: