Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 10:14:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If the Chinese government takes over bitcoin mines  (Read 603 times)
MiddleFingerToTheMan (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 07:20:43 PM

So lets say that the Chinese government declares mining illegal & takes over the mines (likely to happen). Seeing that the vast majority of mining takes place in China, couldn't the government hypothetically reach over 51% of the bitcoin hashing power and basically centralize global bitcoin?
What cryptos, if any, are immune to this "51% attack" ? Is it even an issue? I'm not that well informed on the details of this subject so excuse my ignorance.

emuLOAD

Activity: 328
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 07:27:15 PM

if it were to happen, very unlikely, there are a few things Bitcoin could do to protect itself, including banning certain nodes (for the short term). worst case scenario, change algo and roll back. (that would be something acceptable only in case of a monumental disaster).

this said, won't be easy for them to get to 51%. and 51% doesn't automatically make you god.
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 07:33:06 PM

A government declares something illegal, takes over the "illegal" business.. only to continue running it.

Lacks principle. Big Hypocrisy and very immoral
Cryptoraptor

Activity: 26

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 07:53:11 PM

A government declares something illegal, takes over the "illegal" business.. only to continue running it.

Why would that stop them though? All China has to do is declare that Bitcoin is a foreign currency and for the Good of the People (!) they are going to take it over and nationalize it.  
MiddleFingerToTheMan (OP)

Activity: 37

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 07:57:29 PM

if it were to happen, very unlikely, there are a few things Bitcoin could do to protect itself, including banning certain nodes (for the short term). worst case scenario, change algo and roll back. (that would be something acceptable only in case of a monumental disaster).

this said, won't be easy for them to get to 51%. and 51% doesn't automatically make you god.

Banning certain nodes and changing the algo? Who makes those decisions and who has the power to do that? Is it a vote? If the Chinese have 51% then how would the vote get through?
Voice-Of-Reason

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:06:18 PM

Sounds exactly like something China would definitely do...
EthereumPY

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:09:38 PM

so lets the ww3 begin, nuke those fancy hair asian leader at once
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:10:54 PM

I don't think the chinese really care what the rest of the world gets up to.

They want to isolate their people, not get ijvolved with everyone else.

If the chinese government did try to 51% then it's pretty much the only thing the rest of the bitcoiners could unite on. Theyd be attacking nothing pretty rapidly.
emuLOAD

Activity: 328
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:16:36 PM

Banning certain nodes and changing the algo? Who makes those decisions and who has the power to do that? Is it a vote? If the Chinese have 51% then how would the vote get through?

doesn't have to be a vote. developers implement a new algorithm, and publish it. people are suffering from a chinese 51% on the "original" network, they move quicker than lightning to the new client(s), and so will miners. Yes, you'd still have the previous bitcoin as a forked chain, but that would be completely irrelevant as people will use the secured chain primarely.
rb26

Activity: 247
Merit: 101

OPEN GAMING PLATFORM

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:27:18 PM

So lets say that the Chinese government declares mining illegal & takes over the mines (likely to happen). Seeing that the vast majority of mining takes place in China, couldn't the government hypothetically reach over 51% of the bitcoin hashing power and basically centralize global bitcoin?
What cryptos, if any, are immune to this "51% attack" ? Is it even an issue? I'm not that well informed on the details of this subject so excuse my ignorance.

If the Chinese government took over the mining facilities and companies in their country regardless of what scheme they've done to do so, they will not get the majority of Bitcoin. Even they literally own the 50%+1 of the hash power required, a Hard fork will be made immediately and will kill the chain which China holds. This is the most probable defensive act that will happen. So in the end, Bitcoin will still be decentralized.

jak3
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:30:58 PM

I think yes Chinese government can do this easily but they do not need to do this as their government is not showing so much interest in bitcoin but the people are scratching the network for all the money. it's scary but that is the reason the bitcoin network is running without any hitch I expect developers can somehow manage to lower the transaction fees or we should have to start using altcoins soon.
11-BitNinja

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:44:18 PM

If the Chinese government took over the mining facilities and companies in their country regardless of what scheme they've done to do so, they will not get the majority of Bitcoin. Even they literally own the 50%+1 of the hash power required, a Hard fork will be made immediately and will kill the chain which China holds. This is the most probable defensive act that will happen. So in the end, Bitcoin will still be decentralized.

I agree with this...or the price of BitCoin would go str8 to the s#itter...
sloworm

Activity: 30

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:51:52 PM

this is like gold reserve of a country.

brilliant idea if a country hold bitcoin, Chinese are clever people
Astvile

Activity: 1484
Merit: 276

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:53:06 PM

Thats automatic my dear,if a government declared something illegal then they must  continue it  because they see better potential of earning money through it that was what always happen.If that happen then dont expect drops because they will continue it

[ monero.cx ]        CREATE A NEW EXCHANGE
  Contact Us            PGP Key            Mirror URLs  |
████████████EXCHANGE ████████████
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 2148

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 09:24:07 PM

51% attack allows attacker to do 2 things - double spend coins and freeze the network (but not at the same time). Assumption that 51% attack gives you full control over the network is a popular misconception. So far there was no case of such attack on the Bitcoin network because its extremely expensive and attacker loses more than they would gain. But using seized equipment may brought down the spending to practical levels, however it's not possible to seize all mines in one moment and switch them to attack mode - we might have some time to prepare. Also, it's very unlikely that China would do it, as openly engaging in a big scale hacking would be bad for their public image on international level.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 09:31:05 PM

POS coins like PPC, NXT, XSPEC or (future) ETH will go through the roof.

Truth is the new hatespeech.
Zarbout

Activity: 168

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 09:35:30 PM

If they ban mining, the other miner will have better rewards. I heard that Russia welcome miners near to nuclear power plants.

BitcoinPanther

Activity: 1918
Merit: 564

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 09:38:12 PM

51% attack allows attacker to do 2 things - double spend coins and freeze the network (but not at the same time). Assumption that 51% attack gives you full control over the network is a popular misconception. So far there was no case of such attack on the Bitcoin network because its extremely expensive and attacker loses more than they would gain. But using seized equipment may brought down the spending to practical levels, however it's not possible to seize all mines in one moment and switch them to attack mode - we might have some time to prepare. Also, it's very unlikely that China would do it, as openly engaging in a big scale hacking would be bad for their public image on international level.

What would be ruined in the public image of CHINA?  They had been double standard ever since.  Especially the water territorial dispute between China and Japan and China and Southeast Asian nation.  They cry for UNCLOS on Japan issue and ignoring it on the SEA issue.  It is more likely China would do this stuff stated by Ucy.  Since I believe they care less for their public image but rather they want to secure their power.
CroDam

Activity: 209

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 09:39:34 PM

Miners will move to Russia or Japan.
skorupi17

Activity: 490
Merit: 256

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 10:13:45 PM

Essentially a change of algorithm or some sort of check of IP to block the miners in china (if possible).

I cannot see how to change the algorithm of Bitcoin. Is this doable? In regards to the blocking of IP address from the miners in China, this is a very weak defense for Bitcoin mining. They can easily use VPN and then they will appear to be mining in another country.

The best possible action for this is to have a hardfork then the remaining 49% separate from these Chinese and kill the other chain where the Chinese miners are.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: