Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:48:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Namecoin prices plummeting - opinions?  (Read 15556 times)
Fakeman

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 05:22:58 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2011, 06:05:25 PM by Fakeman

It is an open source project that has been alive for less than 8 weeks and you want what ... a fully functioning distributed DNS service with browser pugins available for download from all major repositories ...  Roll Eyes

... reality check chaps.
Why not? Nobody said it will happen tomorrow. But until/unless the dns aspect matures there is not much setting the project apart from bitcoin except as an alternate speculative token with 'potential' to become more useful.

16wEsax3GGvJmjiXCMQUWeHdgyDG5DXa2W
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 06:43:50 PM

Which is why it should be as simple as explaining how to configure your browser to view flash or pdf content. Obviously there is only a reason to do so if it enables access to some content that's useful to the user. Such content could be expected to be developed more readily if it was at least easier to get to the sites.

What kind of content is going to need protection from DNS seizures (besides the gambling example that's going to be used here, I do believe people have a right to gamble their money be it on the internet or Las Vegas and wont argue about that)?

To my mind springs instantly certain sites & services, not talking about Silkroad.

Mostly sites that practically contain evidence of crimes against young human beings.
Those people are batshit crazy and paranoid about security & anonymity due to prison realities against their kind.

Then again, I could see legitimate activity as well that could be at risk of seizure in the future such as Bitcoin business, prepaid cell phones/visas, online payment processors similar to e-gold, or torrent sites.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 06:55:29 PM

Bitcoin has the "care about it" factor. I just don't care about Namecoins. That's why I don't care what the difficulty of mining a Namecoin is right now, the people who jumped into Namecoin first were opportunists/miners that were looking for a quicker buck than what Bitcoin was going to give them. This is ALWAYS going to be the case. You are buying Namecoin from people who didn't think it was a good enough idea to mine Bitcoin itself. This means the difficulty isn't a good way to determine what the value of the coins are, IMHO.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 07:13:41 PM

Which is why it should be as simple as explaining how to configure your browser to view flash or pdf content. Obviously there is only a reason to do so if it enables access to some content that's useful to the user. Such content could be expected to be developed more readily if it was at least easier to get to the sites.

What kind of content is going to need protection from DNS seizures (besides the gambling example that's going to be used here, I do believe people have a right to gamble their money be it on the internet or Las Vegas and wont argue about that)?

To my mind springs instantly certain sites & services, not talking about Silkroad.

Mostly sites that practically contain evidence of crimes against young human beings.
Those people are batshit crazy and paranoid about security & anonymity due to prison realities against their kind.

ah, the old "anti-privacy troll" angle ... like we didn't see that one coming ... why don't you just say "namecoins are for paedophiles, terrorists, money-launderers, druggies and gang-rapists" ...?

yawn ... we've been through all this back when bitcoin was starting, you guys are going to have to go back through the archives to check your originality ... with privacy comes great freedom and responsibility, if it is not for you go back to your gubmint scrip and the debt-slave mind-prison that has become your security blanket .... pants-wetting at first sign or trouble is not cool.

MikesMechanix

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 07:33:59 PM

What kind of content is going to need protection from DNS seizures

Who need anonymous, decentralized DNS?

How about:
Sites like Wikipedia
Chinese freedom of speech sites
Muslim women's rights organizations

Then, who do you think might like almost free DNS?

Please send your extra Bitcoins to 17miTorGDBUh3yNTYJtodJPw9wzrcNcf6y. Thank you!

Sign up on TradeHill Instant Bitcoin Exchange using this link to get a lifetime 10 % discount on trades!
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 08:07:22 PM

Then, who do you think might like almost free DNS?

I already listed a bunch of legitimate sites and businesses that might need it at the end of my post.
Nothing against the idea in general.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:39:35 AM

Guys, 99% of people don't even know what the hell a browser is either, and yet 45% of the people use Firefox or Chrome. How do you think that happened? Well that's simple, the nerds installed them on every computer they were asked to fix. Same thing could happen with a browser plugin or whatever that resolves .bit domains.

the people who jumped into Namecoin first were opportunists/miners that were looking for a quicker buck than what Bitcoin was going to give them.

Actually my reason for jumping into Namecoin was that I truly believe it is the superior block chain. I'm convinced that if Bitcoin and Namecoin both had started at the same time nobody would know about Bitcoin today. The only thing that Bitcoin has going for it is popularity.
MikesMechanix

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 12:46:34 AM

I'm convinced that if Bitcoin and Namecoin both had started at the same time nobody would know about Bitcoin today. The only thing that Bitcoin has going for it is popularity.

Not really. Bitcoin has a lot sexier name.

"Namecoin" is awful.

Please send your extra Bitcoins to 17miTorGDBUh3yNTYJtodJPw9wzrcNcf6y. Thank you!

Sign up on TradeHill Instant Bitcoin Exchange using this link to get a lifetime 10 % discount on trades!
JohnDoe

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 09:16:35 PM

Not really. Bitcoin has a lot sexier name.

"Namecoin" is awful.

Quite right, that's a very strong point in favor of Bitcoin. Totally forgot that a sexy name is one of the most important prerequisites for the widespread adoption of a new technology.
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 09:58:36 PM

Namecoin is not only for DNS.

The plan is to make it a generalized distributed namespace.

There are a lot of uses for that.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
saadtariq30

Activity: 107

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:33:24 AM

seriously...bitcoin is sexier...

what would you guys prefer, bittorrent or nametorrent?
JohnDoe

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 02:18:48 AM

seriously...bitcoin is sexier...

what would you guys prefer, bittorrent or nametorrent?

I gotta stop coming to this forum.
3phase

Activity: 313

Third score

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:31:19 PM

Guys, 99% of people don't even know what the hell a browser is either, and yet 45% of the people use Firefox or Chrome. How do you think that happened? Well that's simple, the nerds installed them on every computer they were asked to fix. Same thing could happen with a browser plugin or whatever that resolves .bit domains.

A browser plugin is not really possible as DNS is set much deeper in any operating system, and for a good reason. It's the registry in Windows, specific files under /etc in Linux and so on. If a browser would be able to change the DNS resolution process, the Internet would be a much more dangerous place. Hacks galore !!! I run a commercial e-learning site, and within a few months of operation, we already had cases of DNS hijacking of registered clients asking them to pay more money. If the browser would be allowed to be "creative" with DNS, a thousand problems can emerge.

Actually my reason for jumping into Namecoin was that I truly believe it is the superior block chain. I'm convinced that if Bitcoin and Namecoin both had started at the same time nobody would know about Bitcoin today. The only thing that Bitcoin has going for it is popularity.

I agree with that, and the possibilities that namecoin offers apart from DNS is its biggest strength. An alternative currency like Bitcoin can and will be very volatile because people can't help hot thinking about it as money, whilst a generic naming service can be extremely valuable (and not only as money) as soon as a killer application is discovered for it.

And BTW, I agree with previous posters that it's only a couple of months old, let's give it a little more time. Think that DNS itself took several years to be finalized and standardized (and it's not considered complete yet).

Fiat no more.
Δoκιμάστε τo http://multibit.org - Bitcoin client τώρα και στα Eλληνικά
bitclown

Activity: 185

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:39:49 PM

Bitcoin has the "care about it" factor. I just don't care about Namecoins.
Not even the creator of Namecoins cares about Namecoins...
bitebitebite (OP)

Activity: 95

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 02:00:30 PM

Bitcoin has the "care about it" factor. I just don't care about Namecoins.
Not even the creator of Namecoins cares about Namecoins...

Interesting... more info?
Fakeman

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:17:09 PM

A browser plugin is not really possible as DNS is set much deeper in any operating system, and for a good reason. It's the registry in Windows, specific files under /etc in Linux and so on. If a browser would be able to change the DNS resolution process, the Internet would be a much more dangerous place. Hacks galore !!! I run a commercial e-learning site, and within a few months of operation, we already had cases of DNS hijacking of registered clients asking them to pay more money. If the browser would be allowed to be "creative" with DNS, a thousand problems can emerge.

If the goal was just to have namecoin links in some standardized form (e.g. nmc://) work properly within the browser, do you really need to make low level changes just to do that?

3phase

Activity: 313

Third score

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:45:16 PM

If the goal was just to have namecoin links in some standardized form (e.g. nmc://) work properly within the browser, do you really need to make low level changes just to do that?

It doesn't mean much if it's a different URI. The browser needs to be instructed to translate such a URI and then perform DNS resolution to find the target address. Therefore this would have the same results - and problems. Or should we rewrite DNS for our purposes?

I'm as frustrated as you are about the lack of a smart solution, but I don't lose my hope.

Fiat no more.
Δoκιμάστε τo http://multibit.org - Bitcoin client τώρα και στα Eλληνικά
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:51:22 PM

During their 41 conference in Singapore last week, ICANN approved the motion to allow new generic top level domains (gTLDs) to be registered with their organization. That means any 'established' company would be allowed to register .WAHATEVER domain name. If .bit gTLD is registered through ICANN how head-to-head collision with namecoin network will be resolved?
Fakeman

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:58:22 PM

I probably have a pretty vague idea of the workings of DNS resolution or browser plugins but intercepting addresses at least seems like plugin level stuff (ad blocker, net nanny style plugins) even if the next stages are not. Would it help if some intermediate server was involved, selectable by some setting in the plugin like how you might subscribe to an ad blocking list? It might not satisfy purists or those concerned about maximum anonymity, but it would let those nontechnical grampa users at least get a taste of web 1.95 as it were. Also, users who happen to desire a certain degree of 'filtering' for whatever reason could choose a server that caters to that.

Freakin

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 11:13:31 PM

Namecoin is essentially filling a need that does not yet exist.  The US gov't has been meddling with the internet more and more and wants to control whatever they can. 

Remember lawmakers talking about 'tax' on email like 15 years ago?  I think domain name seizures will become increasingly common (we already saw major poker sites and seizure of a botnet earlier this year) and the need for a P2P DNS will be realized.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: