Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:31:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Namecoin prices plummeting - opinions?  (Read 15548 times)
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 11:18:35 PM

During their 41 conference in Singapore last week, ICANN approved the motion to allow new generic top level domains (gTLDs) to be registered with their organization. That means any 'established' company would be allowed to register .WAHATEVER domain name. If .bit gTLD is registered through ICANN how head-to-head collision with namecoin network will be resolved?

The easiest solution I can see is to simply become so large before this option is made available that others won't *want* to register a .bit address for fear of collisions. I'd imagine the TOR folks are having this problem too, since .onion won't be unique to the TOR network any more. It might be worth asking them how they're getting around it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 11:54:53 PM

Wondering when Silk Road will start accepting Namecoins as well as Bitcoins?   A extra layer of abstraction wouldn't hurt ... how hard would it be to trace something simultaneously through btc and nmc blockchains back and forward like?

doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:09:23 AM

A browser plugin is not really possible as DNS is set much deeper in any operating system, and for a good reason. It's the registry in Windows, specific files under /etc in Linux and so on. If a browser would be able to change the DNS resolution process, the Internet would be a much more dangerous place. Hacks galore !!! I run a commercial e-learning site, and within a few months of operation, we already had cases of DNS hijacking of registered clients asking them to pay more money. If the browser would be allowed to be "creative" with DNS, a thousand problems can emerge.
Browsers already do this. When you enter a domain in the URL bar of the browser they can interpret this however they want. Sometimes they lookup the domain in DNS. Sometimes they use a search engine. Sometimes they use 'keywords'.

Ten years ago there was a system called RealNames. This was a way for people to register a 'name' with a location. It was effectively a DNS replacement. Browsers built this in and you could go to sites by just entering the 'RealName'. At one point they had $130 million of funding. Namecoin is similar to this in concept but is decentralized. From the wikipedia entry:

In effect, to users of Internet Explorer, RealNames became a domain registry which was capable of registering names that worked without needing to belong to a top level domain such as ".com" or ".net". RealNames and its backers expected this to be a lucrative source of income, and it raised more than $130m of funding for its venture.

It would be interesting to learn from the RealName experience - why it didn't succeed.
Fakeman

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:12:57 AM

Namecoin is essentially filling a need that does not yet exist.  The US gov't has been meddling with the internet more and more and wants to control whatever they can.
But to look at it another way, the benefit of dns seizure immunity doesn't necessarily have to be a key selling point in order for there to be an appeal for namecoin domains. The internet as seen from Google becomes progressively stupider over time, overflowing with SEO fluff and populated by high schoolers testing out their arguing skills. There can be a certain appeal to a site/server being a little out of the way, even if doesn't relate to anything remotely illegal or controversial.

16wEsax3GGvJmjiXCMQUWeHdgyDG5DXa2W
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:19:15 AM

Namecoin is essentially filling a need that does not yet exist.  The US gov't has been meddling with the internet more and more and wants to control whatever they can.
But to look at it another way, the benefit of dns seizure immunity doesn't necessarily have to be a key selling point in order for there to be an appeal for namecoin domains. The internet as seen from Google becomes progressively stupider over time, overflowing with SEO fluff and populated by high schoolers testing out their arguing skills. There can be a certain appeal to a site/server being a little out of the way, even if doesn't relate to anything remotely illegal or controversial.

This is real ... exclusivity through obscurity. Hard to find corners of the net are now .... well hard to find, not like the good old days ... out of site of the googly-eyed all-seeing monster is nice.

Dobrodav

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 08:49:45 AM

If Wiki topic on Realname anyhow true, they suffered from behavior of their partner, - Microsoft. But it is not fully clear.

Fakeman

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 02:22:06 PM

Their long term strategy didn't seem to account for the possibility of MS dropping support. Sounds like a lot of stories from around that time where it was so profitable to just coast on stock price increases that nobody worried too much about the longer term outlook. There probably are some parallels to namecoin in there, speculative investment is all well and good but what really matters at the end of the day is whether some user base can actually access the name service and find some content they consider worthwhile.

Fuzzy

Activity: 560

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 12:31:23 PM

What kind of content is going to need protection from DNS seizures

Mostly sites that practically contain evidence of crimes against young human beings.

This is one of my chief concerns. There are some things that simply should not be allowed just because "that's how the system works".

And believe me, these degenerates will flock to any safe harbor.

HOWEVER, wont a server hosting such material still be traceable? I mean physically, via IP/ISP?

All the .bit namecoin address does is resolve an IP address, right?
Fuzzy

Activity: 560

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 12:39:48 PM

If someone will buy the .bit domain namecoins will be over also to resolve a .bit domain you need specific software.

Not much useful for now.

I read that if such were the case, an update to the client could change the url extension to whatever, all throughout the block chain, though .BIT sound good and simple as is.
JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 04:15:24 PM

I read that if such were the case, an update to the client could change the url extension to whatever, all throughout the block chain, though .BIT sound good and simple as is.

There's no need to change the client as far as I know, only the nameservers would have to update.
Aristotle

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 01:02:45 AM

Remember lawmakers talking about 'tax' on email like 15 years ago?  I think domain name seizures will become increasingly common (we already saw major poker sites and seizure of a botnet earlier this year) and the need for a P2P DNS will be realized.

I still don't understand the need for Namecoin.  Governments can still take down any servers they want to, or block access to them like the Great Firewall.  These sites need a way to not only protect domain names, but also their servers.  And there are already networks for that; i2p and Tor.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 03:16:30 AM

Remember lawmakers talking about 'tax' on email like 15 years ago?  I think domain name seizures will become increasingly common (we already saw major poker sites and seizure of a botnet earlier this year) and the need for a P2P DNS will be realized.

I still don't understand the need for Namecoin.  Governments can still take down any servers they want to, or block access to them like the Great Firewall.  These sites need a way to not only protect domain names, but also their servers.  And there are already networks for that; i2p and Tor.
Yes, but the great unwashed don't use Tor or i2p and probably never will since they don't give a rat's about going deep black for privacy ... e.g. facebook. BUT they will click en masse to a "forbidden" link that has titillating details about what scandal their congress critters or State Dept. have just gotten up to or a simple 1-click link to a low-risk site serving up on-line poker, etc, etc ...

... .bit domains will serve those grey markets just fine. Not so much about clandestine operations and secrecy but freedom of speech and transparency.

JohnDoe

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 04:17:33 AM

By that logic there's no need for Bitcoin either since governments can take down any node/merchant/exchanger they wish.
Aristotle

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 05:01:48 AM

By that logic there's no need for Bitcoin either since governments can take down any node/merchant/exchanger they wish.

Well, Bitcoin's strengths aren't only in anonymity; and yes, without Tor or i2p, if anonymity is to be maintained, there is no need for Bitcoin Smiley  For instance, if Silk Road wasn't on Tor and used Namecoin, the servers probably would have been taken down by now.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 05:10:00 AM

Well, Bitcoin's strengths aren't only in anonymity; and yes, without Tor or i2p, if anonymity is to be maintained, there is no need for Bitcoin Smiley  For instance, if Silk Road wasn't on Tor and used Namecoin, the servers probably would have been taken down by now.

You could be confused, namecoin and bitcoin would provide exactly the same level of anonymity/traceability for transactions .... depending on how you use them.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 07:51:15 AM
Last edit: July 01, 2011, 02:34:47 PM by markm

Plum eating, you say? Absurd. Namecoin seeds not all germinating as swiftly surely and strongly as some might have hoped, maybe.

But plum eating? Sheesh, first you gotta grow the plum-sapling, then let it grow into a plum-tree, then some harvest time see if it is that harvest time or next cycle's that will see an actual plum appear.

If, in fact, the seeds are plum seeds at all in the first place.

-MarkM- (Beaglecoin prices plummeting! Beagle Brother Snoopy wants to know why! Oh my gosh!)

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
JohnDoe

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 01:01:07 PM

Namecoin has all the strengths of Bitcoin. Anyway, each business is able to choose their level of protection so your argument is invalid.
Spirals

Activity: 15

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 11:49:48 PM

As a user, I would prefer to be able to buy domains with BTC and not have to deal with namecoins.

Fortunately this service is already available, at http://register.dot-bit.org/.

I expect many more services will spring up to facilitate the purchase, administration and trading of .bit domains, in time.
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 03:17:50 AM

Namecoin prices have been increasing this past week... they were at 0.025 BTC and are now 0.035 BTC. Keep in mind that their peak was at 0.14 BTC.
Fakeman

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 03:58:59 AM

Trading volumes seem pretty low at the moment but it's good to see the price going back up. Seems like a great time to do some easy mining if you think the price will keep rising.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: