Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:11:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best and safest way to store passwords?  (Read 2187 times)
2Pac

Activity: 749
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 05:14:29 PM

There are a lot off password or note applications for mobile and pc.
You can choose one of them for use to quick enterence via copy-paste.
But i also prefer to write on a paper.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allycn

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 05:24:53 PM

I will go for old school as well. I don't think I could trust a program for this, what if you are hacked? or, what if at some point the program fails, what would you do? If you didn't memorize it as well, you would be screwed. For example, ages ago we would all memorize most of our friends' phone numbers, but since now a days we store them in our phones there is no need for our memory to do the job, however if the phone stops working and you really to contact someone you are screwed.

For me, memory is best, but since that could fail as well, write them down in a piece of paper with a code you identify as password. Store a couple copies of these document in safe places ... and don't forget about it!
overboost

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 08:11:18 PM

If you want ONLY to store them, I would recommend to keep them in an encrypted volume (truecrypt?).
You can still download it from GitHub. Be sure do download version 71a.
Make a backup of the file, preferable in 2 different locations.
If you want to acces the passwords daily, than this setup is no longer valid. You loose time mounting the volume and so on.

What about Firefox Sync? I use it since a few years, no troubles at all.
I still have some of my important passwords on paper in multiple locations.

Good luck.
onesalt

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 08:39:14 PM

1) Prepare an excel file, add all of the passwords you have and you will have.
2) You can use a specific password for different websites, changing it slightly may help you for example:
specific part: 12345678 (do not use it, it is mine)
change part: 1234HERE5678

for a website, get two-three letters to change part: for bitcointalk for example 1234bi5678
for facebook: 1234fa5678

this way, you will have different passwords for each website, which is safer than having same in all of them.
3) Lock your excel file with a password that you remember very well.
4) Print your passwords regularly, in case you lose that file (with cloud computing, hard to manage it, but just in case)

I myself do first 3 steps. Hope that helps.
Ging

Activity: 504
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 08:45:25 PM

personaly i use LastPass Password it is an app available to save all your passwords and personal and confidential data.
subG

Activity: 770

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 08:55:45 PM

The best and safest way to store passwords are in your head by memorization.   Memory passwords are the safest as long as you don't forget them.  Use words and number combinations that relate to your life or lifestyle and it shouldn't be too hard to memorize. 
Bittoshi

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 09:10:11 PM

I suggest to use keepass. It is free, open source (so everyone can check that the source code is clean and secure) and easy to use.

1. Download the portable version
2. Unzip it to a new folder
3. Start the .exe, create a new datase, give the database a name.
4. Set a strong master password for the database. Use upper and lower case password with numbers and do not write it down somewhere else.
5. Now enter all your passwords, links and other secret stuff like private keys and adresses and save the databse. It is encrypted now with your master password.
6. Check that you can open your database only with your strong master password. Then copy the folder with your portable installation on several hard discs (backup) and on a USB stick to take all your stuff always with you.

Noone can access the database without the strong master password. So you should be safe should anyone steal your USB stick. And you can always run the password manager on every machine without the need of an installation. But be careful when you use it on public machines. They could be infected with a virus and log everything you do.

Bitgesell (BGL):  A modern and truly scarce store of value. Burn rate is 90% of tx fee. Yearly block reward halving.

It's just the beginning!
BartS

Activity: 980
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 10:00:50 PM

Hey thanks for the info but im looking for something that is preferrably free like maybe encrypting a file?
KeePass is probably the best it is free and it can generate passwords for you that way you do not have to create the passwords yourself, also you can protect those passwords if you encrypt them and then you will only need to remember one password instead of all the password you have, this could be a good option to store your private keys or seed words instead of writing that information in a piece of paper that can be destroyed very easily.
sweetbet

Activity: 961
Merit: 110

SweetBet.com

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2017, 10:12:49 PM

I always store very important passwords on paper.

Maricel2017

Activity: 448
Merit: 103

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 02:13:37 PM

The best and safest way to store passwords are in your head by memorization.   Memory passwords are the safest as long as you don't forget them.  Use words and number combinations that relate to your life or lifestyle and it shouldn't be too hard to memorize. 
I think you should have also a note maybe in your celpon or in a notebook that can see it anytime. Password may be your birthday or a special day of yoir life that you cannot forget that everytime you use your password we always remember.

cryptothreads

Activity: 1274

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 02:19:23 PM

I only store accounts on paper and restrict not putting important information on the computer because now there are many viruses can penetrate into our computer easily. I think saving the password and account on paper is the best
sch_lau

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

🌟ATLANT ICO: 7/09/17🌟

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:55:44 PM

you can create an XL file with all your passwords that you store on a stick or a card and then secure with Veracrypt Smiley but really the safest thing is to remember :/

TrueAnon
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 06:26:41 PM

you can create an XL file with all your passwords that you store on a stick or a card and then secure with Veracrypt Smiley but really the safest thing is to remember :/

That's actually not bad. Saving passwords in a file on Veracrypt is an idea. However you should also check out KeyPass;)
mkhadazz

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 06:50:02 PM

I write all passwords on paper, then i put into pendulum of bracelet that i have never removed since have it. Because, storing passwords on any modern device in its form, i think it isn't safe yet.
Mi5h0

Activity: 560
Merit: 273

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 07:18:31 PM

I think you should have also a note maybe in your celpon or in a notebook that can see it anytime. Password may be your birthday or a special day of yoir life that you cannot forget that everytime you use your password we always remember.

What? Nooo!
This is the worst advice ever. You should never use personal information even as part of your password. Avoid a password based on information easily obtained about you (like your birthday, your child or pet's name, phone number, license plate number, school name, automobile brand, or street name). Don't use a password you already use for another account, such as your bank account PIN. Instead of writing your passwords on paper where someone might find them, you can use a password manager to store them securely. If you must write it down, keep it safe away in a place only you can access. Treat it as if it were cash.
bebejhen

Activity: 182

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 02:43:03 PM

i am sending sms to my friend  Grin it is safest way for me. i forget if i don't do that.

Did your friend knew that the sms you send to her is your password? If so, what if she hacked your account? I don't mean anything. I am just concerned because I think passwords are really personal so we must keep it in private. We must not trust it to anyone.
magz

Activity: 268

World's First Chain Balancing Token (CBT)

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 03:51:16 PM

Hello

Does anyone know or can reccomend the best way to store passwords? Is there a program you can use or a way to encrypt a file with all your passwords on it?

Thanks

I prefer to store your private keys and passwords in cold wallet. Cold wallet is also called paper wallet. You have to write or print multiple copies of your passwords. This is safe for me to those hackers who wants to trespass your pc.

███ TWITTER WapSwap Finance WHITEPAPER ███
███ ANN World's First Chain Balancing Token (CBT) FACEBOOK PAGE ███
███ TELEGRAM AMM MEDIUM ███
ngefek berat

Activity: 504
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 03:59:16 PM

Hello

Does anyone know or can reccomend the best way to store passwords? Is there a program you can use or a way to encrypt a file with all your passwords on it?

Thanks
I suggest you try to use notes on your own Android phone so it's easier every time you want to use it rather than hesitate if you want to keep the key in online condition like in wallet.
flag39

Activity: 364
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 04:00:11 PM

I would suggest you to use PGP encryption and the best open source, free and simple with instructions is found here:

http://openpgp.org/software/kleopatra/

You can encrypt anything big or small. read instructions first or you can as well find video tutorials on YouTube for this application
aywin

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 04:21:08 PM

There's no perfect way of storing passwords.

Passwords must be complex so they can't be cracked. But complex passwords are hard to remember, especially if one uses tens or even hundreds of complex passwords. At least it's recommended to use different password for every account. Using single password for all logins is very insecure, because if someone gets a hold of the password he can access all the accounts. Another problem with remembering passwords is one can get injured and loose memory, so it's very wise to store them somewhere else except in

Writing them on paper is good because paper is small and easily hidden so burglars can't find it. But in case of accidents like fire, earthquake or flood it's destroyed very easily. It's also inconvenient to have to go get the piece of paper with passwords from the hiding place and type passwords by hand every time one wants to login. To avoid this one could also store the passwords in browser. But that's bad because if computer/phone gets stolen or damaged, passwords can be lost forever. It's possible to store them on some cloud storage, but company that runs it can go bankrupt and shuts down storage without notice. You also have to trust administrators of the cloud storage, that they won't steal your passwords. Using passwords managers like Keepass is very useful. All the passwords are encrypted in a file. If you protect that file by a strong uncrackable password, you only have one complex password to remember. But the data or private key file can become damaged because of failing hard drive.

So there's no single good way of storing passwords. One should always choose at least two different ways of storing/backing up passwords.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: