Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 10:16:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Motherboard suggestion  (Read 838 times)
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 12:34:48 AM

Do not go with any MSI motherboard, I unfortunately learned the hard way and after spending a couple days trying to troubleshoot what was wrong with my machine (PSU, risers, GPUs, etc...), slowly learned that there are LOTS of people in the mining community who have issues with majority of MSI boards, which was unfortunate because I was originally recommended this board..

Anyways, I'm trying out these 2 now.. Both were recommend to me from several miners.. ASRock tends to be a very popular brand, but these are what I went with

This one holds 6 GPUs using risers of course and
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157748

This one holds 13 but I wouldn't recommend going over 6 per rig just out of stability and maintaining it to stay online...
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157781&cm_re=h110-_-13-157-781-_-Product

I haven't used the ASRock mobos yet but they are being delivered today, I can report back later tonight after I have everything setup if you'd like.. or send me a message

Thanks for your valuable info, I never knew that MSI mobo is bad for mining. I would like to try asrock 13 gpu model on my next mining rig too, please do share us your experience with it, thanks Smiley

Even GPU mining is a losing game. Forget getting a motherboard and possibly get an ASIC. You may not have the knowledge base for all that and could be throwing your money away, but the process will be quicker and the set up will be easier than building a system.

Yeah, I wish I could get my hands on an ASIC, they are especially nice for those who have lower electricity cost. But right now mining profits are at an all time low, hopefully the market will come back and change that up and also bring us some new profitable coins.
Maybe an all time low for you if you started mining in the last 3-4 months. Last time I checked, whattomine showed all the top minable coins were profitable. Many close to 0.75-$1 per day for a RX 580 after power. That is nowhere near an 'all time low'. When I stopped mining after the Scrypt/X11 crash in 2014, you would pick coins based on how little you would LOSE per month by mining.
joshuajones02

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 12:39:04 AM

Do not go with any MSI motherboard, I unfortunately learned the hard way and after spending a couple days trying to troubleshoot what was wrong with my machine (PSU, risers, GPUs, etc...), slowly learned that there are LOTS of people in the mining community who have issues with majority of MSI boards, which was unfortunate because I was originally recommended this board..

Anyways, I'm trying out these 2 now.. Both were recommend to me from several miners.. ASRock tends to be a very popular brand, but these are what I went with

This one holds 6 GPUs using risers of course and
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157748

This one holds 13 but I wouldn't recommend going over 6 per rig just out of stability and maintaining it to stay online...
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157781&cm_re=h110-_-13-157-781-_-Product

I haven't used the ASRock mobos yet but they are being delivered today, I can report back later tonight after I have everything setup if you'd like.. or send me a message

Thanks for your valuable info, I never knew that MSI mobo is bad for mining. I would like to try asrock 13 gpu model on my next mining rig too, please do share us your experience with it, thanks Smiley

Even GPU mining is a losing game. Forget getting a motherboard and possibly get an ASIC. You may not have the knowledge base for all that and could be throwing your money away, but the process will be quicker and the set up will be easier than building a system.

Yeah, I wish I could get my hands on an ASIC, they are especially nice for those who have lower electricity cost. But right now mining profits are at an all time low, hopefully the market will come back and change that up and also bring us some new profitable coins.
Maybe an all time low for you if you started mining in the last 3-4 months. Last time I checked, whattoine showed all the top minable coins were profitable. many close to 0.75-$1 per day for a RX 580. That is nowhere near an 'all time low'. When I stopped mining after the Scrypt/X11 crash in 2014, you would pick coins based on how little you would LOSE per month by mining.

*slow clap*

| World Fintech Startups | Microsoft Azure Partner | $1,5 M Raised During pre-ICO |
     BANKEX - Proof-of-Asset Protocol     
| WHITE PAPER | BLOGSLACKTELEGRAMBITCOINTALKGITHUBTWITTERYOUTUBEFACEBOOK |☰
joshuajones02

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 12:40:25 AM

Anyways, this is a thread to help someone start mining and we are trying to give them the truth that it may not be the best option to mine right now as GPU prices are still somewhat high and profits are down. Thanks for your input

| World Fintech Startups | Microsoft Azure Partner | $1,5 M Raised During pre-ICO |
     BANKEX - Proof-of-Asset Protocol     
| WHITE PAPER | BLOGSLACKTELEGRAMBITCOINTALKGITHUBTWITTERYOUTUBEFACEBOOK |☰
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 01:02:33 AM
Last edit: September 26, 2017, 01:15:20 AM by Vann

Anyways, this is a thread to help someone start mining and we are trying to give them the truth that it may not be the best option to mine right now as GPU prices are still somewhat high and profits are down. Thanks for your input

Mining is long term investment. If you are looking to make quick cash by investing in a mining rig, then yes, you are probably going to be dissapointed. On the other hand if you don't care about making a quick profit and looking to accumulate coins for the long term instead, then mining is most certainly an option. Nobody knows where the market is going to be next week or next month. There are only costs and benefits to any descision you make. If I had just kept mining instead of stopping back in 2014 when the market REALLY crashed, I would be a lot better off than I am and I regret having made that descision. Fortunately, I did keep most of the coins I  mined back then, so in the end it worked out.

In the video below BBT explains from the persepective of someone thats been mining for a long time and built hundreds of rigs, why you should keep mining, even when it's not the most profitable time to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCSdLSP1sv0&feature=youtu.be&t=364

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: