Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 08:19:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crypocurrency at the acedemic levels  (Read 1575 times)
3nrg (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 07:03:58 AM

Any computer scientists in the house??  Have a few questions if you do not mind.

I'm wondering about the level of study/effort/interest currently going on at the academic levels into cryptocurrencies.  Is this a common area of study?  Taught at undergrad or graduate level?  Do most computer scientists have a background in this?

From going over Satoshi's first paper it appears that some of the main ideas in the references stemmed from around the year 1998.  So has this been a hot topic or small niche in universities for the past 15 years and will it continue to grow?  I studied a bit of cryptology in math many years ago now and I find it fascinating what these bright computer people have done with the theories and how they have applied in to finances.

Oh, and last question... It seems clear that bitcoin was designed to solve a direct problem... ie lowering costs of certain transactions by getting rid of human moderators.  What are some of the other fundamental problems yet to be solved that are distinctly different? 

Thanks in advance to any of you that reply  Cheesy
JSMill

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:40:21 PM

In my opinion bitcoin is about much much more than just lowering transaction costs.  It is a huge paradigm shift--moving from centalized exchanges to a decentralized p2p system.  Lower transaction costs are just one benefit.

Also here are all the articles that are listed on Google Scholar that cite Satoshi's paper:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?cites=9372423383988544578&as_sdt=5,33&sciodt=0,33&hl=en
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: