Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:26:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How are you hedging the upcoming Segwit2x fork?  (Read 1693 times)
ChromaticStar (OP)

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 06:00:26 PM

It is probably a baked in reality at this point the we will have 3 Bitcoins in a few months after BTC forks again into a Legacy BTC and 2x BTC. This fork is looking to be more tumultuous than the BCH fork and we don't even know the details of any upcoming fork yet.

How are you going to hedge this event? Buy LTC? ETH? XMR? DASH? maybe BCH?

I hate all this childish bickering, but we should all start to place our hedges.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
olubams

Activity: 798
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 06:07:50 PM

It is probably a baked in reality at this point the we will have 3 Bitcoins in a few months after BTC forks again into a Legacy BTC and 2x BTC. This fork is looking to be more tumultuous than the BCH fork and we don't even know the details of any upcoming fork yet.

I hate all this childish bickering, but we should all start to place our hedges.

The details will surely come in the coming days and I am sure the reason why there is no much discussion on the matter is because the community is still concerned about recovery of bitcoin price, the September 30 rumored plan or bitcoin exchange sites in China, the ICO ban thing and several other things taking our attention and maybe that's why the promoters too are taking their time not to come out with that because it won't be the best time really. But when the dust settles, and the day is near, more information will roll.out.
Kanapka

Activity: 818
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 06:13:59 PM

My "hedge" are the free coins that I will have if I hold, just like Bitcoin Cash
Quidat

Activity: 2562
Merit: 537

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 06:56:40 PM

The details will surely come in the coming days and I am sure the reason why there is no much discussion on the matter is because the community is still concerned about recovery of bitcoin price, the September 30 rumored plan or bitcoin exchange sites in China, the ICO ban thing and several other things taking our attention and maybe that's why the promoters too are taking their time not to come out with that because it won't be the best time really. But when the dust settles, and the day is near, more information will roll.out.
Actually im little bit worried on this upcoming on the ending days of the september rather than on the upcoming segwit again on bitcoin but well we do still reaching out on that fork again and im sure dipping of prices will happen on that time.I wont hedge on that time for sure but would rather readying up my money for buying more coins.No need on conversions.
ChromaticStar (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:20:36 PM

My "hedge" are the free coins that I will have if I hold, just like Bitcoin Cash

I don't think free coins is quite the way to look at this one. Most people probably haven't sold their BCH which is why the price is so high; I have not. The combined market value of the two forks might be substantially less than the prefork.

The upcoming fork is bound to be more volatile. Unlike last time big exchanges and miners like Coinbase and Bitpay may end up on 2x, while the developers from Core and quite a few miners may be on Legacy. We won't have a clearly defined "Bitcoin" this time.

If there's any threat to Bitcoin at the moment, it's the upcoming fork.
Fidemoga

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:25:52 PM

I have a bunch of altcoins, but will keep Bitcoin as my main currency. It is protected by a huge community and great technicians for the new upgrade, so that also a second hardfork can't stop the Bitcoin.
leea-1334

Activity: 2240
Merit: 953

Temporary forum vacation

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:28:25 PM

Why the need to hedge? If it forks, you will get equal amounts of Bitcoin and new alt. The BCH already was a free hedge and so will the new alt be. You have all your Bitcoin, and you have all the new alts. Hold all for the perfect hedge.

Of course, I always keep a small LTC and ETH. DASH too expensive for me with no usefulness. Same as Monero.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.....I AM BLACKJACK.FUN.....
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:57:14 PM

The question of the majority chain will likely be decided by the exchanges,
which control the desired BTC ticker symbol.

Whichever fork gets the symbol will win out in the end.

Personally, I intend to hold both coins if both chains survive.
This should maximize the potential return, because even the losing
chain in the long run will most likely experience a huge pump
by the supporters/backers with deep pockets in the short-term.

nsasuiteb

Activity: 406

BAILOUT

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 08:07:11 PM

I will not buy or sell anything because of upcoming segwit2x fork. Don't trade on the news, it may be profitable in short term but will be only loss in the long term. You may win once or twice like a gambling but you will be end up a loser.

wxa7115

Activity: 2702
Merit: 704

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 10:30:24 PM

First of all there is not going to be a legacy BTC, it is simple BTC, the original chain that is all, segwit2x is just another altcoin that is all, and if they decide to make that suicide move then I will enjoy the free coins that I will get and sell them no need to do anything else.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 10:38:36 PM

You know the drill, dump the segwit2xcoin when the opportunity presents itself. This shit can't win, if it does im quitting bitcoin. If bitcoin can be coerced by bribing miners and exchangers with fiat money what's the fucking point? it's over. I guess I would just stick around in case someone comes up with a true bitcoin killer that can't resist vector attacks such as segwit2x and any other hardforks of similar nature. I would need a strong bitcoin to buy that tho, so lets hope the price doesn't go to hell.

I think segwit2x will end up like BCash. If bitcoin's immune system is strong it should get rid of it.
susila_bai

Activity: 1260
Merit: 524

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 11:37:31 PM

Mostly it will be another option of getting a new bitcoin copy of altcoin and what other said is true that it will be free money to earn, so this time no one will be feared by this news.
ChromaticStar (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 12:08:58 AM

First of all there is not going to be a legacy BTC, it is simple BTC, the original chain that is all, segwit2x is just another altcoin that is all, and if they decide to make that suicide move then I will enjoy the free coins that I will get and sell them no need to do anything else.
You know the drill, dump the segwit2xcoin when the opportunity presents itself. This shit can't win, if it does im quitting bitcoin. If bitcoin can be coerced by bribing miners and exchangers with fiat money what's the fucking point? it's over. I guess I would just stick around in case someone comes up with a true bitcoin killer that can't resist vector attacks such as segwit2x and any other hardforks of similar nature. I would need a strong bitcoin to buy that tho, so lets hope the price doesn't go to hell.

I think segwit2x will end up like BCash. If bitcoin's immune system is strong it should get rid of it.

Hard to see in as just another altcoin. Currently, the New York Agreement (Segwit2x) has 95% support among the hashing power:

https://blockchain.info/charts/nya-support

I think day one BCH had only something like 2% of hashing power.

2x will be the clear winner for miners and many exchanges. I don't know what can really be done or what else to say, but we are definitely headed for another fork. Cryptos are here to stay, so if we don't want this, then we need to find another coin to support and hedge.
limopc

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 01:08:58 AM

I am completely new and not that techie, so will appreciate your guidance.

In November, which coin wil split or fork, is it bitcoin, or Bitcoin Cash?
Will it be another SegWit, or an increase in the block size?

There will be a new currency I understand. It wil be like the previous split and holders of bitcoin BTC wil receive an equal amount of the new currency? Or the holders of Bitcoin Cash will receive the new currency?

Sorry if I am asking “silly” questions, I am just a few days old with crypto.
ChromaticStar (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 01:52:47 AM

There will be a new currency I understand. It wil be like the previous split and holders of bitcoin BTC wil receive an equal amount of the new currency? Or the holders of Bitcoin Cash will receive the new currency?

Don't feel too bad, I can't fully understand why there is a disagreement in the first place. Considering neither side wants to back down, I'm at a loss and clearly missing something big.

The current BTC will fork in November into two chains that have different consensus; BCH is unaffected by this. One will use the current BTC consensus rules and continue as normal, the other will adopt Segwit2x and use a different chain with a common history.

If you own BTC you probably don't have to do anything. I would recommend you withdrawal all your BTC to an address for which you control your private key. You will automatically have coins on both chains in this case. If you leave them on an exchange, it is up to them which coins you get; you may get just one chain or both. You may need to be extremely careful about how you send them though in the early days of a fork. When ETC forked (or whatever you want to call it) from ETH, there were replay attacks and some users lost coins. If it forks similar to BCH, there was good replay protection and everyone was fine. Just be careful, follow developments and you should be fine.
suppersz

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

There is a day to be born, and another to die

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 01:59:40 AM

Don't feel too bad, I can't fully understand why there is a disagreement in the first place. Considering neither side wants to back down, I'm at a loss and clearly missing something big.

The current BTC will fork in November into two chains that have different consensus; BCH is unaffected by this. One will use the current BTC consensus rules and continue as normal, the other will adopt Segwit2x and use a different chain with a common history.

If you own BTC you probably don't have to do anything. I would recommend you withdrawal all your BTC to an address for which you control your private key. You will automatically have coins on both chains in this case. If you leave them on an exchange, it is up to them which coins you get; you may get just one chain or both. You may need to be extremely careful about how you send them though in the early days of a fork. When ETC forked (or whatever you want to call it) from ETH, there were replay attacks and some users lost coins. If it forks similar to BCH, there was good replay protection and everyone was fine. Just be careful and follow developments and you should be fine.

This forum will be spammed by people trying to figure out how to get their 2x coins, and a bunch of them will be told they already ruined their chances when they already sent it to exchanges and their 2x is gone. I guess thats a good thing for those of us who can do it correctly, less supply means higher prices

limopc

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 05:19:27 AM
Last edit: September 23, 2017, 09:13:44 AM by limopc

If you own BTC you probably don't have to do anything. I would recommend you withdrawal all your BTC to an address for which you control your private key. You will automatically have coins on both chains in this case. If you leave them on an exchange, it is up to them which coins you get; you may get just one chain or both. You may need to be extremely careful about how you send them though in the early days of a fork. When ETC forked (or whatever you want to call it) from ETH, there were replay attacks and some users lost coins. If it forks similar to BCH, there was good replay protection and everyone was fine. Just be careful and follow developments and you should be fine.

This forum will be spammed by people trying to figure out how to get their 2x coins, and a bunch of them will be told they already ruined their chances when they already sent it to exchanges and their 2x is gone. I guess thats a good thing for those of us who can do it correctly, less supply means higher prices

Thanks for the warm welcome
limopc

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 05:31:56 AM

If you own BTC you probably don't have to do anything. I would recommend you withdrawal all your BTC to an address for which you control your private key. You will automatically have coins on both chains in this case. If you leave them on an exchange, it is up to them which coins you get; you may get just one chain or both. You may need to be extremely careful about how you send them though in the early days of a fork. When ETC forked (or whatever you want to call it) from ETH, there were replay attacks and some users lost coins. If it forks similar to BCH, there was good replay protection and everyone was fine. Just be careful, follow developments and you should be fine.

Thanks a lot for helping me understand more.
FiiNALiZE

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 05:06:26 PM

I am just going to ride it out because I don't really care for all that stuff. Bitcoin will still cost the same when sending to another BTC wallet holder.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 05:16:56 PM

I've kept all my Bitcoincash coins, "just in case". I figure if the segwit2x split is nasty, then BCH might benefit. As long as I come out of it with my overall funds holding their value I'm not fussed.

Also, something that hasn't been touched on - a lot of Japanese miners are going to come onstream starting in October and no-one knows what they think about segwit2x at all, so the uncertainty is huge.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print