Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:50:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fixing Bad Risers  (Read 585 times)
siforek (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 06:58:08 PM

It used to be pretty typical to get 1/3 or even half bad risers. These days I don't know if I've just been lucky or if their quality is just getting better. Either way we've all had a few bad risers & will continue to, specifically the PCI-E 1X riser board:

This one isn't actually bad, but you can see how the top-right pin isn't as good.

It takes longer for my soldering iron to heat up than to do the fix:

Nothing fancy, just add a little more solder(I use Kester 63/37) & I also clip/shorten the 2 larger pins & add some heat shrink:

This helps on motherboards like the ASRock H110 Pro BTC+ where the 1x/PCI-E ports are closer together.

I started doing this on just a couple bad risers I had but now I do it to every one as a precaution/preventative. As for the 16x riser adapter I've been fortunate not to get any bad ones, however if I ever do I'm sure a similar fix would suffice Smiley

Anyway, hope this helps someone that might otherwise toss their bad risers Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Set Ready Go

Activity: 273
Merit: 17

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:14:42 PM

Heatshrink nice idea! Cheesy
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 09:18:38 PM

All of my bad risers have been on the x16 pin side, usually they got a little sloppy on soldering. 
So I take my knife and run it between the pins to knock any bridges that may have happened.
siforek (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 01:42:01 AM

All of my bad risers have been on the x16 pin side, usually they got a little sloppy on soldering. 
So I take my knife and run it between the pins to knock any bridges that may have happened.

Nice! Breaking bridges is easy. I'll remember that if/when I get one like that. Thanks!
MFahad

Activity: 2464
Merit: 644

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2017, 03:57:27 AM

What is the question here? Are you just posting easy fix jobs that everyone knows how to do? Well, thanks, been there and rebuilt entire systems, that is what we do here in crypto land, because we learned and did what we had to do. It is not rocket science and anyone here can handle doing this on there own. But, next we need easy DIY stuff, we know where to find .

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2017, 05:53:47 AM

These fucking risers... I order mine from china, that means the delivery time is about 4 weeks. About 2 out of 10 are broken on delivery. Now i order large quantities only becourse i count on some of them being broken. Seems like im not the only one Cheesy
siforek (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 11:31:41 PM

These fucking risers... I order mine from china, that means the delivery time is about 4 weeks. About 2 out of 10 are broken on delivery. Now i order large quantities only becourse i count on some of them being broken. Seems like im not the only one Cheesy

I like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072XCSGZZ

What is the question here? Are you just posting easy fix jobs that everyone knows how to do? Well, thanks, been there and rebuilt entire systems, that is what we do here in crypto land, because we learned and did what we had to do. It is not rocket science and anyone here can handle doing this on there own. But, next we need easy DIY stuff, we know where to find .

There is no question. Yes I posted an easy fix in hopes that it could help others that may not know how to do it. Glad to hear you're the crypto God of rig building. Feel free to contribute something helpful yourself without the ego please & thanks Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: