Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:13:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This sums it up well.  (Read 6171 times)
myrkul (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 08:08:08 AM

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LewiesMan

Activity: 384
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:19:02 AM

Truer Words Were Never Spoken! Cheesy
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:26:13 AM

So how many coats the guy has and did he use slave labour?

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 09:32:24 AM

So how many coats the guy has and did he use slave labour?
Slave labor? Slavery is wrong.

But that aside, what difference does the number of coats the man owns make? If he has a lot of coats, does that make it OK, somehow, to steal one from him?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:36:55 AM

If I'm rich enough to own more than one coat, I should be entitled to my coats.  I could have a hundred coats and it wouldn't matter; they're my coats, and I'll burn them if I wanted to.  Forcing me to be generous is not the way to go.  Force at all is not the way to go, and welfare, as is the case in all of politics, is just a band-aid on the actual issue at hand, being, a disproportionate amount of rich people and a disproportionate amount of poor.  Welfare only solidifies these two social classes, it doesn't get rid of them, and yet, do the rich give more coats than the average two-coat Joe?  It hurts two-coat Joe a lot more to give up a coat than it does me, the guy with a hundred flaming coats, 'cos fuck it, I don't need all these coats, and I already gave my "fair share" away, just like everyone else.

In other words, with welfare, we're trying to keep the two-coaters and the no-coaters poor by forcing the two-coaters to make proportionally huge donations to the no-coaters.  Now the one-coaters can more easily fall into being no-coaters and then we can say, "Hey bub, you look cold--would you like a free coat?"  And by then they'd forgotten why they had no coats to begin with.

bitcryptonit

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:01:44 PM

the problem in capitalism is that when you have big amounts of money its way easier to earn for a living than having none or little. and much more options.

Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:03:29 PM

the problem in capitalism is that when you have big amounts of money its way easier to earn for a living than having none or little. and much more options.
the problem in capitalism is that if you have more money it is easier to make more money, while if you have to start from scratch you're doomed.

also, if you have more money it is easier to circumvent the law.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:03:44 PM

Why is that a problem?

myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 04:11:34 PM

Well, that's a "problem" with the nature of reality. The more resources you have, the more options you have to increase those resources. Of course, that coin has an opposite side that hardly anyone ever actually looks at: The more resources you have, the easier it is to help your fellowman voluntarily. Think about it. Isn't it more likely that a man with 100 coats is going to hand over one without the gun in his face, than the man with only two?

That doesn't make stealing the coat from the man with 100 any better than stealing from the man with 2, and worse, it makes it counterproductive. It makes the man with 100 want to resist giving to the man with no coat, because it's being done by force.

No 1

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Ad Infinitum Et Ultra

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:36:30 PM

The poor will depend on the system. No way around it when you're born in a mud hole and told you won't be shit EVER. Not saying this is always the case but I'm surely seen it with my own eyes.. Most people that start at the bottom stay there because:

1. their born into poverty
2. lack education
3. skill-less and unmotivated

The third being a direct effect of the previous.

12wqXQuExLnWoWWQy7j35hzBEW91bUz1YS
LcbBQ5oXtTjyKK4V8iaDqgUAAtahv9nsHR
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:42:38 PM

also, if you have more money it is easier to circumvent the law.

Abolish law?
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 11:48:42 PM

The poor will depend on the system. No way around it when you're born in a mud hole and told you won't be shit EVER. Not saying this is always the case but I'm surely seen it with my own eyes.. Most people that start at the bottom stay there because:

1. their born into poverty
2. lack education
3. skill-less and unmotivated

The third being a direct effect of the previous.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime. Give a man a fish every day, he'll depend on your good graces to survive.

oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 01:17:48 AM

Not to mention that now that you force me to give away my coat to a poor guy, I may feel it justified to not care about other poor guys out there anymore. So if big nanny handles everything well, cool. If she messes things up, don't bother with me.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 01:35:41 AM

pic OP
Too much of a simplification. It doesn't discuss how the coat came into existence.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 01:54:22 AM

pic OP
Too much of a simplification. It doesn't discuss how the coat came into existence.
Someone used a machine they owned, and thread and cloth that they owned, to make a coat. The man then bought the coat from that person (apparently as part of a suit, since it matches his pants).

Doesn't change the morality of any of the actions depicted.

oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:03:45 AM

Who should be in a place to judge if I accumulate my wealth morally? The majority? They used to believe being a Jewish is immoral.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 02:17:53 AM

Who should be in a place to judge if I accumulate my wealth morally? The majority? They used to believe being a Jewish is immoral.
Yeah, deciding laws by majority decision is stupid. It's better to have a simple principle, that everyone can agree on, like, say, "No person has the right to initiate the use of force, threat of force, or fraud on another person or their property," and let people choose what other additional rules, if any, they want to live under, and who they would like to enforce those rules.

FinShaggy

Activity: 196

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 02:20:54 AM

That would make more sense if the first guy had 2 coats. Taxes take 10%-ish, not everything you have. And not even all of it goes to welfare.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:23:15 AM

That would make more sense if the first guy had 2 coats. Taxes take 10%-ish, not everything you have. And not even all of it goes to welfare.

It makes sense as-is.  The man has a coat, possibly more coats at home, and he's being "relieved" of his coat for a man who doesn't have one.  It's politics in its purest form: rob Peter to pay Paul.

FinShaggy

Activity: 196

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 02:24:59 AM

We'll give the kids a coat (Education system)
Violent people or people who have been tricked get a coat (Military)
Politicians get coats (Public Service Salary)
Even Bankers get a coat (Bailouts)

But you're worried about the POOR guy getting a coat!?!?!??!?!?

Did you know most Wal Mart employees qualify for welfare? How bout you stop bitching at poor people, and tell Wal Mart to get THEIR employees off welfare. And they aren't the only ones.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: