Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:33:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitpurse client transactions take upto 20 hours to complete  (Read 1158 times)
rikur (OP)

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:02:30 AM
Last edit: May 30, 2013, 10:18:03 PM by rikur

I tested a Maemo Bitcoin wallet called BitPurse. Seemed to work fine, expect when I tried to send out the Bitcoins. The UI is showing balances as it should, but the transaction is still "unconfirmed" after 8 hours. I added a .0005 to the transaction so it should have been picked up fairly quickly.

Now the deposit address still has the Bitcoins in it:
http://blockexplorer.com/address/12JXh476iY7K5Q4fqQtZE5D56Ma8vX5jwh

But Blockchain.info is listing the transaction I made with the client:
https://blockchain.info/address/12JXh476iY7K5Q4fqQtZE5D56Ma8vX5jwh

Also Blockchain.info still says that the said transaction is unconfirmed. Blockexplorer.com is not aware of the transaction id at all. Notice how the transaction is broadcasted by Blockchain.info around Africa. Also the private key the client exports out fails to import at least in electrum client.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems to me that someone might be holding my BTC hostage. What is unclear to me however is how blockchain.info listing the transaction come into play? Was the the transaction sent only to blockchain.info bitcoind and thus wasn't accepted? Why wouldn't it be accepted, is there something wrong with the transaction? Or is blockchain.info hacked or colluding with scammers?

</tinfoilhat>

Does anyone have any other tools to search to for above address and see if you see the TX that's visible on blockchain.info?

The transaction took almost 24h hours, even with the transaction fee. BitPurse was adding some crap to the TX. Blockchain was working fine.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:44:20 AM

That's a lot of coin to be testing out a client with...

Try the instructions here to import the key into Multibit and then double spend the transaction with a higher fee (0.002 should get miners attention, 0.01 will for sure) to an address you control on a known reliable client.

Then report this issue to the BtPurse developers and if you want to keep playing with this client risk less BTC doing so.

BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:04:57 PM

I wouldn't do anything at all, just wait till the transaction is confirmed.
This is my opinion:
Blockchain.info is way more advanced than blockexplorer.com
Blockchain is actively listening on the network and tries to connect to as many peers as it can to gather transaction information
Blockexplorer is simply representing the information present in a block

What strikes me is that blockchain.info lists itself as the relaying IP of the transaction that you did:
https://blockchain.info/tx/93d9c5d261a3ed6c4fdf839e9a624ea3628bb54190f3d5f2dfda86a8bcda58cf
Ok, I now read that the program you tested is using the myWallet function of blockchain.info.
So it makes sense that they know about the transaction...

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:15:51 PM

I agree. Just wait a few days to see if it eventually gets picked up. It probably will.

more or less retired.
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:50:33 PM

I agree. Just wait a few days to see if it eventually gets picked up. It probably will.

The problem with this approach is that if it isn't constantly being rebroadcasted, it might just not get picked up. Double spending it can get it back to him much faster. BTC2 isn't a vast sum, but it isn't something you want to drop on the ground and forget either...

piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 01:37:56 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2013, 01:49:36 PM by piuk

The transaction https://blockchain.info/tx/93d9c5d261a3ed6c4fdf839e9a624ea3628bb54190f3d5f2dfda86a8bcda58cf has a zero output and will be treated as none standard by the majority of clients. The bitpurse client you used seems to have added an unnecessary change output, please report it to the developer.

My guess is the transactions will likely take several days to confirm, if at all.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:37:09 PM

Nice thread title.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:40:07 PM

Nice thread title.

Agreed.  OP please change the title.  Why not just ask "why does blockchain.info show a tx but blockexplorer doesn't?" instead of making an accusation in the question.

If you had asked that ... the simple answer is:
blockchain.info shows unconfirmed tx.
blockexplorer only shows confirmed (i.e. in a block) txs.

Any transaction (all 3,000 or so which exist right this second) will be listed in blockchain.info but not in blockexplorer.
rikur (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:26:31 PM

Title changed. I apologize for coming to conclusion too quickly, that's just how by brain is hardwired as some might know.. Reporting the bug to the developer now.
Khertan

Activity: 193

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 07:25:40 AM

Hi,

I'm the author of BitPurse.

In case transaction in never included in a block this one is cancelled by Blockchain in 4 or 5 days.
Blockchain.info is only broadcasting the transaction, so that s not their fault. The raw transaction is created and signed by BitPurse and send to Blockchain.info.

The problem happen when you spend all input of a address, there is in this case no return ... and BitPurse add a zero output. Sad
I'll fix that quickly.

Thanks to rikur for reporting the issue on github, as i was notified and can take action.

Regards,

Khertan

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 08:48:56 AM

Issue #4 is now fixed and waiting in queue list of Nokia Store or available in few minutes on MeeGo OBS or my website.
Now you were talking of problem importing the private key in the electrum client. That pretty strange as i got no problem with that. Which version did you use of BitPurse 2.0.1 ? And which version of Electrum ?

Regards,

rikur (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:02:01 AM

Yeah BitPurse 2.0.1 and Electrum 1.7.4 on Linux.

I use the "import private key feature" and manually type in the "unencrypted private key" from Settings. Also tried with the format that Electrum uses for exporting and by adding a 5 to the beginning of the private key (as all electrum generated private keys began with it). Electrum just says that it fails to import the private key.

How did you manage to import the key?

And thanks for such a swift bug-fix, can't wait to download the new version. Is QR code scanning for making payments in the works? Let me take a look at the source too Smiley
Khertan

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 11:36:49 AM

1/ Did you use double encryption on BitPurse ?

2/ How i do to import key in Electrum :

In BitPurse :

Use last option in BitPurse Settings : "See Wallet Unencrypted" . Then entering the double encryption password, then click on view button. That give you the list of keys in a text field :

Label : blabla
Address : the bitcoin address
Private Key : sdlkfLDKFJdflkjlLKDJFLDKJflkdjfl

Label : blabla
Address : the bitcoin address
Private Key : sdlkfLDKFJdflkjlLKDJFLDKJflkdjfl

In Electrum :

Go to settings, import/export feature, Import PrivateKey and enter the Private Key of one address given by BitPurse. No need to edit them. Are you sure you didn't made any type error while entering it ?

And at the end, electrum show you the public address associated with the private key.

EDIT : The problem of using QR in a app on Harmattan (N9/N950) is that some aegis right are required, and so you can distribute only your apps via the Nokia Store or meego obs (which will be shutdown in end of May).
The other solution is to use MeeScan (available from nokia store), when you scan a bitcoin://address qr code you can open it, and it ll open BitPurse with the send To field information of that address. BitPurse register himself as the handler of bitcoin:// url handler scheme. So that works also when clicking in the browser on a bitcoin://address url.

Khertan

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 12:07:36 PM

The transaction https://blockchain.info/tx/93d9c5d261a3ed6c4fdf839e9a624ea3628bb54190f3d5f2dfda86a8bcda58cf has a zero output and will be treated as none standard by the majority of clients. The bitpurse client you used seems to have added an unnecessary change output, please report it to the developer.

My guess is the transactions will likely take several days to confirm, if at all.

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for explanation of the problems.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: