Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:20:19 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do ICOS's work?  (Read 1341 times)
crim3s (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 04:45:57 PM

I dont have much time in the cryptoworld, but i'm interested on how so many people trust on ICOs and claim them to be a good way to simply x2, x3 or even x10 your money.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but a TOKEN Based ICO sell their unique tokens at a price, just so months later the token gets accepted on an Exchange then you can trade those tokens and double your money.
It it really that simple?

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3262

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 05:03:32 PM

An ICO is an investment in the future of a business or technology.

Generally, a group of people will propose a project to build a technology or a business, and they sell the coins that the project will use. If the technology or business is successful, then the coins might have some value in the future.

ICOs are extremely risky. It is likely that most ICOs are just scams, and it is also likely that most of the rest will fail. And even then, the values of the coins for the few projects that succeed may never reach the value that you paid in the ICO.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2017, 05:08:15 PM

That's the mechanics of how it works.

But don't expect to make 2x, 3x, 5x, 10x your money. That's very, very rare. Majority of these cryptocurrency ICOs go no where, they're rubbish, they're hype. Their promises of a great return aren't based in fact.

Take a chance on a flyer bet like this and know that most likely it will not pay off.

Good luck.
mloch17

Activity: 10

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 08:44:40 PM

I dont have much time in the cryptoworld, but i'm interested on how so many people trust on ICOs and claim them to be a good way to simply x2, x3 or even x10 your money.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but a TOKEN Based ICO sell their unique tokens at a price, just so months later the token gets accepted on an Exchange then you can trade those tokens and double your money.
It it really that simple?

If it was that simple, everyone would be doing it. There are tons of ICO's that fail. You only hear about the successful ones. Do your own research. Find ones that you think have long term future potential, and get in on the presales.
iungonetwork

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2017, 09:12:22 PM

Unlike buying a company's stock, where investors simply acquire a share in the company, the token holder's rights may vary greatly from one ICO to another.

In some cases, the buyer is entitled to a share in the company’s profit or in its internal currency. Or tokens are used as utility tokens to pay for provided services.

24Kt

Activity: 1092
Merit: 67

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 10:46:40 PM

i like to think of it like this... you send them cash and they send you coins or tokens that have no verifiable value at the moment you buy them!
shillberting

Activity: 103

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 11:15:03 PM

Originally I too thought ICOs were the way but not anymore. Tons of scams, tons of false promises, tons of changes to terms, and more. It just is not the best for an investor.

Not to mention that most tokens have troubles getting listed on exchanges which in turn provides crappy liquidity. You can imagine what would happen to price with bad liquidity
RenBct

Activity: 233

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 01:11:41 AM

Ico is where the token get it's price, if it will go max cap it would be a bigger price and a easier to be in exchange

razzbee

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Transcodium - The Future of Transcoding

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2017, 01:18:59 AM

Before buying any token from any ico, research very well, example, does the team members expose more about themselves, is the company registered, is the idea cool and also unique, do they have a working prototype, read thoroughly about their whitepaper. What benefits the investors have. Milestone, and alot.. its hard and time-consuming but it pays off
JaredStein

Activity: 379
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 04:54:31 AM

ICO's, or initial coin offerings, are a spin off of initial product offerings, well offered, by companies launching into business. This is the same idea for digital currencies using ETH smart contracts.
MisterKT

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 11:06:47 AM

ICO is similar to Crowd-founding in the conventional for the startup up projects. You invest your bitcoin or cryptocurrencies by send them to them physical address of the project team, and you receive in exchange a number of the company's token.
You become in that way shareholder of the company, and your profit or loss depends hence of how the company is performing.

It is true that most of the ICOs are scams, so be careful before investing. Hereafter are some advice:
1. See if the business roadmap is feasible and coherent
2. Is there any MVP? if no, pass you way. If yes what are the functionalities that are already implemented
3. Are people in the team knowledgeable? do they have a proper linkedin page with real work experience?
Agamemnus

Activity: 267

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 04:54:17 PM

ICOs are, obviously, similar to initial product offerings but this is being done on the Ethereum network now and is almost always used for speculative gains in the end so it's nothing of interest, stick to the Bitcoin network that's where all the serious action is.

nick_2017

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 05:27:27 PM

Hello. Where can I find bounty companies for Newbies ?

Kutum

Activity: 31

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 05:54:36 PM

I think you will find what you are looking for in the bounties' section of bitcointalk  Smiley
nick_2017

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 06:25:58 PM

I think you will find what you are looking for in the bounties' section of bitcointalk  Smiley

Thank you. Could you give me a link please?

Kutum

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 08:44:39 PM

Thank you. Could you give me a link please?

Of course, here it is : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=12.0  Smiley
tOKENCITY

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2017, 07:27:39 AM

I was wondering how much money it takes to start one's ICO. Example given: I want to issue X number of tokens worth $125.000. What will be my expenses like?
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2106

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 07:36:41 AM

Good to see that people are finally looking at ICOs more critically. For a couple of weeks I thought the whole (crypto-)world went mad.

I was wondering how much money it takes to start one's ICO. Example given: I want to issue X number of tokens worth $125.000. What will be my expenses like?

I think there's next to no money needed to start an ICO, you'll probably just need to look up on how to issue a token on the Ethereum network. The value of X tokens will be defined by how much people are willing to pay. How much people are willing to pay depends on what you have to offer.
tOKENCITY

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2017, 07:46:22 AM

Thanks HeRetiK,
so is the going rate updated in real-time depending on how much people buy them?
say, I issue some, they are worth $0.01, somebody buys a few, and they become $0.02?
another question is, how do you make sure there is a limited supply of one's tokens: just take their word for it?
(the point being, limited supply tokens are generally worth more, and someone can use this as a selling point)

oh... and most importantly... how is the initial price calculated?
cocoinin

Activity: 112

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 08:46:51 AM

ICO cost is mostly marketing.
If you want to release and maintain good coin, you need to create a market for it.
That means you need spend big amount money for marketing.
oh... and most importantly... how is the initial price calculated?
initial price itself doesn't matter. You can set any price you want.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: