Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:45:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do ICOS's work?  (Read 1341 times)
tOKENCITY

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2017, 08:59:34 AM

ICO cost is mostly marketing.
If you want to release and maintain good coin, you need to create a market for it.
That means you need spend big amount money for marketing.
oh... and most importantly... how is the initial price calculated?
initial price itself doesn't matter. You can set any price you want.
Thank you, comes in line with my thinking (re:marketing).
Good to know!
fidentiaX

Activity: 187
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 04:44:23 PM

personally, i think a successful ICO needs the following "ingredients":
-strong business case that's disruptive
-well qualified team running the project
-strong marketing to reach the right audience

Needless to say, technology plays an important role as well, however technology is just the 'plumbing" to the business solution unless the technology is a breakthru.

just my humble opinion.
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2111

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 05:23:03 PM

Needless to say, technology plays an important role as well, however technology is just the 'plumbing" to the business solution unless the technology is a breakthru.

just my humble opinion.

Problem being, most ICOs seem to focus mostly on the marketing part while utterly neglecting the first two points.

This leads to the typical ICO business plan looking like:

1) Throw buzzwords
2) Issue tokens
3) ???
4) Profit!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
daggny_taggart

Activity: 896
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 05:54:56 PM

just my humble opinion.

Problem being, most ICOs seem to focus mostly on the marketing part while utterly neglecting the first two points.

1) Throw buzzwords
2) Issue tokens
3) Huh
4) Profit!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is not problems of ICO's only - most of the businesses are like that, be it a start up or corporation that is on the the Nasdaq. They always allocate bigger portion of money and effort to the marketing rather than product,
nick_2017

Activity: 490
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 07:32:56 PM

Hello. Where can I find bounty companies for Newbies ?

I think you will find what you are looking for in the bounties' section of bitcointalk  Smiley

Thank you. Could you give me a link please?

Of course, here it is : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=12.0  Smiley

Thank you very much. I'll try to find something useful Smiley

HeRetiK
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 07:40:12 PM

just my humble opinion.

1) Throw buzzwords
2) Issue tokens
3) Huh
4) Profit!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is not problems of ICO's only - most of the businesses are like that, be it a start up or corporation that is on the the Nasdaq. They always allocate bigger portion of money and effort to the marketing rather than product,

Marketing plays a big role in every industry, that's true, but nowhere is the actual substance as lacking as with your run-of-the-mill ICO.

Startups tend to be overvalued, but they get heavily screened by potential investors before they even see a penny.

NASDAQ companies have actual products and a market share.

Now I'm not saying that all ICOs are bad. I'm just saying that a lot of those ICOs are the tech equivalent of a neighborhood lemonade stand -- only they don't sell you lemonade, but tokens which may or may not be redeemable for lemonade in the future.
fidentiaX

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 05:38:58 AM

just my humble opinion.

1) Throw buzzwords
2) Issue tokens
3) Huh
4) Profit!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Marketing plays a big role in every industry, that's true, but nowhere is the actual substance as lacking as with your run-of-the-mill ICO.

Startups tend to be overvalued, but they get heavily screened by potential investors before they even see a penny.

NASDAQ companies have actual products and a market share.

Now I'm not saying that all ICOs are bad. I'm just saying that a lot of those ICOs are the tech equivalent of a neighborhood lemonade stand -- only they don't sell you lemonade, but tokens which may or may not be redeemable for lemonade in the future.

Grin i like the lemonade analogy.

It is also about the maturity of the investors, we can draw parallel to IPO of a company, not all listed companies have great business solution but investors just punt and hope for a windfall.
xaviervilla

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 06:06:49 AM

I dont have much time in the cryptoworld, but i'm interested on how so many people trust on ICOs and claim them to be a good way to simply x2, x3 or even x10 your money.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but a TOKEN Based ICO sell their unique tokens at a price, just so months later the token gets accepted on an Exchange then you can trade those tokens and double your money.
It it really that simple?

Simply put it this way, in the future, basically, the majority of the businesses and other things that can help you get money will all be connected into crypto currencies. And that is getting a bit more closer with each passing day. That is why people are getting more and more drawn into crypto currencies. Because they see what is comming. But mind you, it isn’t as easy as what you may think. Because a lot of scam coins and other shitty coins are out there. Which can make you lose a lot rather than earn a lot. So better study about it more first before diving into it. Because believe me, knowledge about these things are really important and will always be of use to you. So take time and invest first your time in gaining knowledge before anything else.
fidentiaX

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 06:56:33 AM

just my humble opinion.

1) Throw buzzwords
2) Issue tokens
3) Huh
4) Profit!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't disagree, however i am sure investors are learning day-by-day and getting more knowledgable. They can cut thru all the fluff....hopefully.
KingAzir

Activity: 118

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 08:00:48 AM

It's not always to delivery your free 10x money as your thought. Some of them could be scam or illegal ICO and you could lost all money if invest into them

CrisBrown12121997

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 09:16:41 AM

As I know it works in 2 phases.. How?
fidentiaX

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 05:07:38 PM

As I know it works in 2 phases.. How?

could you explain which 2 phases? then maybe the rest of the community can share their views?
nskendrovic

Activity: 285

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 11:27:53 PM

ICO's are called initial product offerings that use Ethereum's blockchain to launch these ICO's as smart contracts are necessary for the pump and dumps for some reason.
fidentiaX

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 02:27:22 AM

ICO's are called initial product offerings that use Ethereum's blockchain to launch these ICO's as smart contracts are necessary for the pump and dumps for some reason.

i think pump and dump is not unique to ICOs, it happens at IPOs too.
The only difference is that regulators watch THE exchange tightly and "players" have to jump thru more hoops to pump and dump.
cocoinin

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 08:09:18 PM

you just put some buzz words into the blender, man. ICO can be done with any coins, not only ETH-based. Pump&Dump can be made buy any rich person and is not a blockchain invention.
HeRetiK
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 07:11:43 AM

you just put some buzz words into the blender, man. ICO can be done with any coins, not only ETH-based. Pump&Dump can be made buy any rich person and is not a blockchain invention.

Well, now with ICOs anyone with the enough hype, chuzpe and pseudo-expertise can start a pump-and-dump, even without being rich! It's the ultimate democratization of financial scams!
hexojuk

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 08:20:49 AM

ioc is one of the development paths of this period as the publisher called for investment in their projects. It's also possible that at this stage you invest in your project and the coin is not listed, then you lose the money so you should think and learn about it before investing in any. any ico project  Sad
cocoinin

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 01:17:05 PM

Well, now with ICOs anyone with the enough hype, chuzpe and pseudo-expertise can start a pump-and-dump, even without being rich! It's the ultimate democratization of financial scams!
That's why we need regulations. I'm not kidding.
Boseda

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 02:50:25 PM

I dont have much time in the cryptoworld, but i'm interested on how so many people trust on ICOs and claim them to be a good way to simply x2, x3 or even x10 your money.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but a TOKEN Based ICO sell their unique tokens at a price, just so months later the token gets accepted on an Exchange then you can trade those tokens and double your money.
It it really that simple?

yes, basically you understood how ICOs work. It's a mix of old concepts like IPOs and crowd funding. When tokens get listed on exchanges you can trade them to Bitcoin, ETH, etc. depending on the exchange. Is it so easy to double your investment? yes and no. You need to choose the right ICO to put your money in it and then be patient until price rises. But if it rises, you can get very good profits!
HeRetiK
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 04:14:58 PM

That's why we need regulations. I'm not kidding.

Yep! Or rather... that's why traditional financial markets are cluttered with regulations in the first place. It seems like the crypto-world always needs to learn the hard way why the traditional financial system works the way it does.

Which doesn't mean that we can't improve on it without governmental intervention. Who knows, maybe people will learn to be more critical with their investments and the next wave of ICOs will actually be worth their money. Sometimes it takes something like Gox for people to act smarter.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: