Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:11:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lowest PC specs to mine.  (Read 893 times)
TanyaDegurechaff (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

They say a thin line separates genius and madness.

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 02:32:11 AM

Hello and good day. Iam thinking about mining but I dont have a knowledge about it but I am interested on how to start. ive seen a youtube video that they mine using PC's so i was thinking maybe i can use my old pc. I have some PC here lying around its a amd  Athlon processor 2 cores running at 2.0 ghz with 4 gigs of ram and the gpu is integrated. My question is if I upgrade at least the gpu to Nnidia GeForce GTX 670 which is mostly available to my place. How much ETH will Ill be able to mine for a day?

"Miracles are illusions caused by insufficient observation and understanding. They're just... glorious misunderstandings."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
VegaAISolutions

Activity: 130
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2017, 02:39:03 AM

just google crypto mining calculator and you'll find a wealth of resources on the subject of calculating profitability. the best thing to do is to mine on a profit switching pool so your always using your hardware to it's fullest potential.

joshuajones02

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 02:45:19 AM

start with the GPU's you want to use, as this will be the most costly part of your rig and then work backwards to your mobo and then for everything else. You can get away with pretty much the bare-bones, just don't go cheap on PSU like some do.

| World Fintech Startups | Microsoft Azure Partner | $1,5 M Raised During pre-ICO |
     BANKEX - Proof-of-Asset Protocol     
| WHITE PAPER | BLOGSLACKTELEGRAMBITCOINTALKGITHUBTWITTERYOUTUBEFACEBOOK |☰
Ultegra134

Activity: 1554
Merit: 744

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 03:53:30 AM

You can't mine anything with an integrated GPU, you can only use your CPU, which is a waste of resources, time and electricity. Also, the GPU you've mentioned is way too outdated, not only for Ethereum mining, but for any kind of mining. Not worth it. Even my GPUs which are 2 years old cannot mine Eth.

You need at least 3Gb (Preferably 4Gb) of GPU ram to mine Ethereum, due to Dag size. Even if you manage to get yours running to mine some coin, it won't be profitable. I had a friend's of mine GPU tested (GTX 760), newer generation than yours, couldn't mine with most algorithms on Nicehash, not to mention that it was less profitable than my laptop!

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
joshuaj

Activity: 224

IDEX - LIVE Real-time DEX

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 03:57:05 AM

GTX670 is abit too old, I don't quite know about it, but please ensure it is at least 3GB or you will not be able to mine ETH now.

TanyaDegurechaff (OP)

Activity: 182

They say a thin line separates genius and madness.

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 04:01:04 AM

Thank you so much for your answers  Kiss . It surely saved  my time and money because I was really thinking of using that PC for mining.

"Miracles are illusions caused by insufficient observation and understanding. They're just... glorious misunderstandings."
joshuajones02

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 04:09:32 AM
Last edit: September 24, 2017, 04:43:47 AM by joshuajones02

lot of people would be better off buying crypto during this dip and then using profits to purchase a mining rig when the market comes back, rather than mining right now, profits are pretty low

| World Fintech Startups | Microsoft Azure Partner | $1,5 M Raised During pre-ICO |
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 04:24:04 PM

Even the top-end AMD A10 integrated GPUs are not worth trying to mine on (they work, but CRAZY slow, even on the coins they CAN mine at all).
 I did some testing on ZEC mining at one point with a A10-7890k - it managed something like 11 sol/s (HD 7750 has the SAME number of cores at the SAME clock and managed more like 60 due to the MUCH faster GDDR 5 it uses).

There isn't any point in going with a GPU older than the NVidia 9xx series (exception for the 750ti which was the same Maxwell arch as the 9xx) - way too low performance way too high power usage - and even the 9xx series you had better be getting the card VERY VERY CHEAP to make it worthwhile since they're on the older 28nm tech and much lower efficiency than the current 10xx series on it's 14/16nm tech.

AMD side is a bit better off - any of the GCN-based cards prior to the RX series (except the Fury) are pretty close on efficiency to each other as AMD reused the SAME GPU (with slightly faster RAM and some BIOS changes in each "generation") in most of those cards for 3 "generations", then the RX series got a lot more efficient with the move to 14/16nm tech.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
coinfoundry

Activity: 292

Miningcore

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2017, 07:17:11 AM

Hello and good day. Iam thinking about mining but I dont have a knowledge about it but I am interested on how to start. ive seen a youtube video that they mine using PC's so i was thinking maybe i can use my old pc. I have some PC here lying around its a amd  Athlon processor 2 cores running at 2.0 ghz with 4 gigs of ram and the gpu is integrated. My question is if I upgrade at least the gpu to Nnidia GeForce GTX 670 which is mostly available to my place. How much ETH will Ill be able to mine for a day?

The problem with Ethereum mining is the DAG size which currently requires 4 GB of video memory which older cards usually don't have. And even if you happen to have an integrated card with that much of VRam, performance simply won't cut it to be viable.

Miningcore.pro - Stress-Free, Reliable Crypto Mining. Period.
mitkala

Activity: 68
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 07:42:18 AM

start with the GPU's you want to use, as this will be the most costly part of your rig and then work backwards to your mobo and then for everything else. You can get away with pretty much the bare-bones, just don't go cheap on PSU like some do.

that is right. You have to choose a good GPU and the CPU performance is not very relevant.
IT_AEX

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 04:47:05 PM

You will need atleast:

- HDD or SSD > 120GB
- 1x GB RAM per GPU (atleast 4 GB)
- CPU (As trashy as you can)
- Motherboard with most PCI-e as possible.
- GPU's
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 07:18:58 PM

The problem with Ethereum mining is the DAG size which currently requires 4 GB of video memory which older cards usually don't have. And even if you happen to have an integrated card with that much of VRam, performance simply won't cut it to be viable.

3GB cards still work and will continue to do so for a while.
 As the only CURRENT card model that is worth mining with that has 3GB is the smaller GTX 1060, though, it's not a common option.

It's entirely possible to set up a dedicated mining machine on 30 GB or less of HD space - a 32 GB USB flash drive is entirely practical - if you use LINUX instead of Windows.
 A SSD in a mining machine is overkill - you do NOT need the speed - and the cost tends to be a lot higher per GB.
 Also, many motherboards shut down one or more PCI-E slots when a NVMe type SSD is used.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
joshuajones02

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 12:29:45 AM

As the only CURRENT card model that is worth mining with that has 3GB is the smaller GTX 1060, though, it's not a common option.

It's entirely possible to set up a dedicated mining machine on 30 GB or less of HD space - a 32 GB USB flash drive is entirely practical - if you use LINUX instead of Windows.
 A SSD in a mining machine is overkill - you do NOT need the speed - and the cost tends to be a lot higher per GB.
 Also, many motherboards shut down one or more PCI-E slots when a NVMe type SSD is used.

I wouldn't buy a 3GB card if you plan on mining long term..

noloco

BLOCKCHAIN VERIFIED PRODUCT REVIEWS PLATFORM

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 01:11:11 AM

Standard low end pc and average graphics card = loss in electricity costs vs mined value.

Motherboard, hard disk an CPU will consume more electricity than the coins produced on the GPU...

joshuaj

Activity: 224

IDEX - LIVE Real-time DEX

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 01:48:50 AM

I know SSD is not neccesary for mining rig, but I didn't know it will shut down PCIE slot on some mobos.

imstillthebest

Activity: 1638
Merit: 122

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 03:44:33 AM

lot of people would be better off buying crypto during this dip and then using profits to purchase a mining rig when the market comes back, rather than mining right now, profits are pretty low

yeah totally agree with this,  i see some miners are quiting and switching to other jobs like trading/investing,  because mining nowadays are much harder and not verry profitable unless you got a free electricity and a good quantity of mining rigs and hardwares.
yugyug

Activity: 616
Merit: 256

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 03:55:58 AM

for a starter and a newbie like you and eager to learn the basic process and set-up of cryptocurrency or altcoins mining, that Pc is still acceptable just for hobby and educational and reference purposes, don't jump directly to a "profit" mindset but study the building blocks of mining which is the "blockchain" , the protocol, the ports settings, batch  files processing, algos,command arguments, and if you always think for a profit per day, then you will end up quitting mining. Crypto is not all about profit but the beauty of how it was made .
hous26

Activity: 462
Merit: 115

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 04:03:35 AM

I think your PC is quite a bit too old to mine now.  A GTX 670 will consume more electricity and deliver less hash rate.  I don't know this for a fact but that GPU is very much outdated.  Buy a 1060 if you're on a budget.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 07:07:57 PM

Depending on the type, a NVMe interface SSD will use up to 4 PCI-E lanes - and those lanes are commonly "shared" with one or more PCI-E card slots.

AM4 motherboards in particular like to send 16 of the Ryzen's 20 PCI-E 3.0 lanes hardwired to the first graphics slot, and the other 4 tend to feed everything else (most commonly the M.2 "Ultra" slot then the chipset PCI-E 2.0 lanes get spread around a lot for everything else).

crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 07:20:36 PM

I think much better to try them and test what hashrate can gives you.
you can use this cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/eth
and put your hashrate speed and you will know how much you can earn you can choose other crypto or bitcoin to calculate how much you can earn with your machine specs. .
Or if you wanted to calculate your earnings into bitcoin you can try to use this site nicehash.com/profitability-calculator
and look for a GPU you are using and caculate how much you can earn bitcoin. .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: