Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:45:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which hardware have i to buy to start mining?  (Read 4907 times)
simpic (OP)

Activity: 1237
Merit: 789

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:05:21 PM

Hello, sorry for my newbie question but i would like to start mining for Bitcoin.

I make a lot of searches on forum and i figure out this:

- mining with CPU is a loss of time
- mining with GPU is a waste of money (because video card are expensive and they consume to much power)
- mining with Butterflay products is not possible because the site is probably a SCAM and even it isn't it is stupid make a purchase and wait months for receive it!
- mining with Avalan products is not possible (no products available on its site)

So... what could i buy to seriously start to mining?

Thank you in advance for your reply and sorry for my english.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheUnk

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:13:51 PM

You buy nothing.

Meanwhile a few elite groups will take over mining.

Very long time before average joe can buy an ASIC miner, and when that time comes difficulty will be so high it will probably not be worth it.

Are ASIC bad for Bitcoin?
simpic (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:22:04 PM

I would like to buy a bitcoin miner right now.
Is it possible?

redcomet

Activity: 52

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:36:58 PM

When bitcoins were worth $1 regular joes could mine them without investing thousands.
When bitcoins are worth $100 then it becomes more of an investment to mine.

Makes perfect sense to me - and imo more than enough people have enough money to keep the network decentralized. 

More than likely you already have the equipment to be able to mine coins, if you have a desktop computer with a video card then check out the alt-coin section to mine some cheap coins that don't have very high difficulty.  Or, you could also buy from a hosted mining service to get started asap.
simpic (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 07:06:22 PM

I don't have a desktop computer, just a laptop.
I'm searching the web for some USB FPGA cards, like Cairnsmore, Ztex, Terasic and so on that i would like to use with my BitMinter account.
None of these cards could be a good investment for me?
Theirs cost is under USD 1,000.

ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 08:05:21 PM

You buy nothing.

Meanwhile a few elite groups will take over mining.

Very long time before average joe can buy an ASIC miner, and when that time comes difficulty will be so high it will probably not be worth it.

Are ASIC bad for Bitcoin?

It won't be a very long time.  It's just new technology now and those who got on board early and risked with the right producers will profit most, as they should.

As the technology is easier to produce, more will do so and that supply will drive down the price of the technology in line with profitability similar to what GPUs have seen over the past few years.

The specificity of the hardware is a legitimate concern, as is how difficult it is to currently get an ASIC, but both will work themselves out through market forces.

Through all of it, and even right now, current miners have a vested interest in saying:

difficulty will be so high it will probably not be worth it."
razorfishsl

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 10:13:13 PM

I'm searching the web for some USB FPGA cards, like Cairnsmore, Ztex, Terasic and so on that i would like to use with my BitMinter account.

No they would be a VERY BAD investment for you.

go here:
http://tpbitcalc.appspot.com

Type in the details, BUT remember that the difficulty is generally changing about 9-13% UP each month....

It would take AT LEAST a year to regain your investment(if you ever do).
Far better you take that $1,000 buy bitcoins and sell with a 10% change, that way you make 10% in a week or so........
Wait for it to fall 10% re-buy.... then sell with a 10% gain..... (5-8% is currently the swing on bitcoins in a DAY...)

If you are good then you could make 100% of your money in a few months, just because the cash is burning a hole in your pocket no need to do something stupid......

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
madmax_ger

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:15:23 AM

simpic, (valued at the performance) I would not suggest to invest USD 1,000 in FPGA or comparable devices at this point. Although I did too, I can not recommend this anymore. Please take a look at the calculator in my signature, you'll easily find out that just buying BTC would be the best kind of invest compared with ANY mining device you could have on hand the next days.

there are only very few pro's, e.g. you can sell the FPGA in case of bitcoins will become worthless.

http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php - check it out!next difficulty + time leftcustomizable monthly (diff + USD/BTC) increasements device lead timeupdate: auto-compares device costs to BTC-buy profit ♥ 1btciBCKb59TbzNj5QzC2EXWDARxtJL1f
simpic (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:33:47 AM

Thank you for your reply!
...what about do the same (buying any FPGA) for mining alternative coins?
Could this be more convenient?

middlemarkal

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:34:16 PM

no fpga can mine script  Cry

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
simpic (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 09:48:11 AM

What about buying Butterfly miner (800 MHash/s) on eBay?
Their prices are about 1000-1500 USD but in this case i will get it in few days!

I used this calculator http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php and it should be profitable.

What do you think?

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 10:11:24 AM

Their prices are about 1000-1500 USD but in this case i will get it in few days!

I used this calculator http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php and it should be profitable.

What do you think?
800mh/s will NOT be profitable when the difficulty doubles very soon.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Preschoolv2

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 11:25:46 PM

Buy a bfl preorder and jump the huge line.
ganabb

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:05:50 AM

a HD7870 has a maximum TDP of 210W, so while your GPGPU bit-coining probably wont hit more than 85% loading.

massnerder

Activity: 308

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:25:56 AM

I am also watching out for ASIC availability, but nothing is really there yet.  I would suggest you either save more cash and wait for a good company to start putting out ASICs (which others have said could be a long wait and/or questionably profitable with difficulty rising)  or just go with a GPU.  Yes a GPU will cost more in electricity to run, but it is still profitable, it is available, it can do scrypt coins, and it will have resale value if/when you can't mine with it anymore.
simpic (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 01:30:02 PM

What do you think?

Have you tried that link? Even the difficulty grows it is still profitable...
Please have a look and let me know what you think about my idea.

Thank you.

madmax_ger

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 01:42:49 PM

What do you think?

Have you tried that link? Even the difficulty grows it is still profitable...
Please have a look and let me know what you think about my idea.

Thank you.

simpic, please dont forget to try the diff increase at 40%. the diff will jump round about 25% the next days, it will be more than 40% up in total within less 4 weeks timespan.

EDIT: and as no one can know for sure the future btc/usd value, you should consider all mining investments as BTC to BTC investments.

http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php - check it out!next difficulty + time leftcustomizable monthly (diff + USD/BTC) increasements device lead timeupdate: auto-compares device costs to BTC-buy profit ♥ 1btciBCKb59TbzNj5QzC2EXWDARxtJL1f
yunixon

Activity: 21

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 10:06:27 AM

to up hashrate look - myminer.info
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 10:22:58 AM

The different level is 15.6 million now, a jump of 28% from the previous one.
madmax_ger

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 12:44:14 PM

The different level is 15.6 million now, a jump of 28% from the previous one.

And the next jump will be about +33%

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: