Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:07:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will 2x650w work with 6 GPUs?  (Read 439 times)
Shankar94 (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

DeepOnion ♡

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 09:41:08 PM

I have been wondering. Many people tend to buy a 1200w for mining with 6 GPUs, but would 2x650w not be just as good? If the power draw is max 150w of each card, that is 450w + 20w for HDD and 100w for mobo to be safe right? That is 570w.

Has anyone ever tried this setup?

▀     DeepOnion  |  TOR Integrated & Secured  [ Facebook  Telegram  Bitcointalk  Twitter  Youtube  Reddit ]     ▀
Your Anonymity Guaranteed  ★  Your Assets Secured by TOR  ★  Guard Your Privacy!   ❱❱❱ JOIN AIRDROP NOW!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  File Authenticity Guaranteed by DeepVault  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Shankar94 (OP)

DeepOnion ♡

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 09:56:06 PM

More precisely, I am considering 2x of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FNCIGE2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

That is 1300w in total, and at an incredibly low price (122GBP). I am therefore strongly considering it, if it will run properly that is. Therefore if anyone have had any experience with it and could share it, that would be really good!

▀     DeepOnion  |  TOR Integrated & Secured  [ Facebook  Telegram  Bitcointalk  Twitter  Youtube  Reddit ]     ▀
Your Anonymity Guaranteed  ★  Your Assets Secured by TOR  ★  Guard Your Privacy!   ❱❱❱ JOIN AIRDROP NOW!
Ultegra134

Activity: 1554
Merit: 744

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 09:59:07 PM

Probably they should be enough. However, you haven't posted enough information to judge accurately. It really depends on the GPUs you are going to use. For example, older series like HD7XXX have higher power consumption than newer ones.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Shankar94 (OP)

DeepOnion ♡

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 10:02:25 PM

Probably they should be enough. However, you haven't posted enough information to judge accurately. It really depends on the GPUs you are going to use. For example, older series like HD7XXX have higher power consumption than newer ones.

Yeps that is true, that is a really good point. I will be mixing it with Rx480s and GTX1070s (yeps I do have a mixed bag of cards) Smiley. They typically never pull more than 150w max each anyway and the Rx480s always come in lower than that.

at 122GBP the 2x650w is just so appealing as a setup!

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 10:23:34 PM

A cheap price for a POS Bronze PSU with a 70% efficiency rating 'under typical load' sounds really appealing. LOL. A mining rig that's on 24/7 is NOT a typical load. Do yourself and your rig a favor and buy a PSU that can handle the workload you're asking of it. Go with a EVGA G2/P2 that has a 90% or better efficiency that will also save you money in the long run. You can go with two smaller PSU's as long as there are enough PCI-E connectors for all the cards you want to use.
Shankar94 (OP)

DeepOnion ♡

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 10:29:01 PM

A cheap price for a POS Bronze PSU with a 70% efficiency rating 'under typical load' sounds really appealing. LOL. A mining rig that's on 24/7 is NOT a typical load. Do yourself and your rig a favor and buy a PSU that can handle the workload you're asking of it. Go with a EVGA G2/P2 that has a 90% or better efficiency that will also save you money in the long run. You can go with two smaller PSU's as long as there are enough PCI-E connectors for all the cards you want to use.

Hey thanks. I thought this was rated up to  89% efficiency. Could you link me the page where you find the 70% efficiency rating? If that is truly the case, then yeps you are definitely right, that is not a very good rating at all for a mining rig.

Bakhtra

Activity: 215

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 10:38:00 PM

Hey thanks. I thought this was rated up to  89% efficiency. Could you link me the page where you find the 70% efficiency rating? If that is truly the case, then yeps you are definitely right, that is not a very good rating at all for a mining rig.
I think you can check that at Product Description. More than 70% efficiency at typical load operation and Efficiency  85% Typically.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 10:42:01 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2017, 10:55:00 PM by Vann

Hey thanks. I thought this was rated up to  89% efficiency. Could you link me the page where you find the 70% efficiency rating? If that is truly the case, then yeps you are definitely right, that is not a very good rating at all for a mining rig.

The description says 'More than 70% efficiency at typical load operation' but Coolermaster  says 'up to 88% efficiency @ typical load'. Either way a Bronze PSU is not a good choice for a mining rig and I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it in the trash. Go with a Gold rated or better PSU's from a top tier brand like EVGA or Corsair. They have better components, better efficiency, better warranty, run cooler and save you money in the long run.
Jdope

Activity: 747
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 12:17:07 AM

I was running a 6 gpu rig on 2 700w bronze (Evga) Power supplies, they were steady as a rock, this is (i think) even more efficient than a single 1200w because i'm getting less usage per psu so higher efficiency
hanskan

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 12:30:29 AM

I have been wondering. Many people tend to buy a 1200w for mining with 6 GPUs, but would 2x650w not be just as good? If the power draw is max 150w of each card, that is 450w + 20w for HDD and 100w for mobo to be safe right? That is 570w.

Has anyone ever tried this setup?

I have 2*650W Corsair PSUs for my 6*1060 rig. But 1060 only draws 95W. Works like a charm tho. Another 6*1060 rig is running off 1000W corsair PSU. Depends really on what cards you are planning on running on the rig.
phundred

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 01:00:41 AM

It should be enough, but please beware that your first power supply is working nearly 90% load, so please ensure that your GPU wouldn't spike over 150W.
Shankar94 (OP)

DeepOnion ♡

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 05:23:23 AM

It should be enough, but please beware that your first power supply is working nearly 90% load, so please ensure that your GPU wouldn't spike over 150W.

Hey thanks for feedback! Yeps that is very true, a good point! I will limit them to around 90-120w each (depending on whether it is the Nvidia or AMD ones). I have ordered these two now, so it will be fun to test out and see how they work. If they work well that is an awesome saving, if they don't, well then it isn't much of a saving really, but at least I tried it out Smiley I really hope it works out well!

Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2017, 08:53:45 AM

As always with multi-PSU rigs, be careful about how you distribute the load between the two PSUs. Most of my rigs with dual-PSUs have had one PSU around 700W-850W, and another 500-550W PSU, since that does allow for some additional flexibility in distributing the load. (It's usually best to plug all motherboard connections into the more powerful PSU.)

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Sev18

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 10:34:04 AM

I saw some mining rigs with less power than your plan, it seems enough.
I always use PSU calculator before building mining rigs, it's quite accurate.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

■■■■■■■  Multi-Algo Switching Manager - MULTIPOOL MULTIALGO Profit Switch Launcher  ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■             https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2041971             ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■                           Download Now!                           ■■■■■■■
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: