Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:25:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What type of coding is used in sites like Satoshi Dice?  (Read 956 times)
BIGMERVE (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 08:11:34 PM

I'm eager to learn how to make websites like Satoshi dice, Bitzino, or Pinballcoin.com. However, I don't even know where to start. I don't know anything about coding except for a little HTML and CSS. I don't even know if all the sites I just listed use the same code language.

Can someone point me in the right direction. Should I be learning PHP, python, or Java?

The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 08:12:44 PM

Should I be learning PHP, python, or Java?

You can do that stuff with pretty much any programming language, though a dynamic language like PHP or Python will be easier.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 08:18:54 PM

PHP is a very common choice, one that I personally hate for no good reason Smiley

There's a lot of python behind DICEonCRACK, and pretty much everything I do these days that isn't performance critical, and it is certainly not a waste of your time learning it if you are serious about coding in general. Of course the same thing can be said for any language, like theymos hinted, I just have a personal bias towards python as the barrier of entry is quite low and the possibilities really high.
BIGMERVE (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 08:44:29 PM

PHP is a very common choice, one that I personally hate for no good reason Smiley

There's a lot of python behind DICEonCRACK, and pretty much everything I do these days that isn't performance critical, and it is certainly not a waste of your time learning it if you are serious about coding in general. Of course the same thing can be said for any language, like theymos hinted, I just have a personal bias towards python as the barrier of entry is quite low and the possibilities really high.

So is DICEonCRACK all PHP, or is there a need for database stuff like MYSQL?

nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:38:01 AM

So is DICEonCRACK all PHP, or is there a need for database stuff like MYSQL?

There is no PHP in DoC or anything else I do. I'm just saying it is something most people chose.

There is certainly a need for DBs, otherwise we wouldn't have a way to store the games or the results. You could, however, do without it with a little effort, but I would certainly not advise you to.
matt_boyd

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 02:50:24 PM

If you are looking some code for online btc gambling, I might be able to help you, pm me if you like.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 03:57:57 PM

It's common to use a database abstraction layer, which allows you to do database stuff without writing SQL. (Though I prefer to deal with the database directly.)

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:14:01 PM

Argh! Use Node.js - it's built for server-side applications.

EDIT: I run a gambling bot for CoinChat (see link in sig) and it's coded in Node.js without any DB.

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
BIGMERVE (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 12:19:50 AM

It's common to use a database abstraction layer, which allows you to do database stuff without writing SQL. (Though I prefer to deal with the database directly.)

Thanks for the help. Looks like I have a lot of learning to do. Should be fun.

Zaih

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 12:34:06 AM

Daunting stuff eh  Grin

Good luck, wish I could help. Looking forward to seeing another gambling site.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: