Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:18:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ELECTRUM WALLET AND OTHER CRYPTO CURRENCIES?  (Read 938 times)
XEVEN. (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 07:05:13 AM

I am guessing the answer to this is NO as it has been five days since I sent the funds, but can I send Lite-coins from my coin-base account to by ELECTRUM wallet? Also if not are there any services that provide cold storage of various types of crypto currencies not just one, like only BTC or only ETH...?

Thanks
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4923

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2017, 07:10:38 AM

I am guessing the answer to this is NO as it has been five days since I sent the funds, but can I send Lite-coins from my coin-base account to by ELECTRUM wallet? Also if not are there any services that provide cold storage of various types of crypto currencies not just one, like only BTC or only ETH...?

Thanks

Sorry, one step back, can you tell us what happened?

From what i can tell, you bought litecoins from coinbase... So far, so good...
But when you sent them to electrum, i do hope you mean "Electrum Litecoin" and not Electrum? Electrum itself is a bitcoin wallet. It has been cloned by somebody and adapted for litecoin, so i hope you used this version, and not the original one.

IF you used "Electrum Litecoin", you should be able to fund your electrum address from your coinbase account without any problems. If something went wrong, posting a txid might help us find out what happened.

As for cold storage of many types of coins, i recommand either a trezor or ledger nano S. Both these hardware wallets cost less than $100 (excluding shipping) and support a limited amount of altcoins. You'll have to search their FAQ's to find out which altcoins they support.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
XEVEN. (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 08:19:26 AM

Good answer and thank you. Na I am newbie in the crypto realm thus trying to learn the ropes. So apparently my little $1 experiment didn't work. I just sent one dollar worth of lite-coin to my regular Electrum/bitcoin wallet to verify if that was possible, as in, would it do the automatic conversion from lite-coin into bitcoin... so evidently not. It showed sent form my coin-base account but I never seen any deposit into my electrum wallet, thus my question.

Thanks again for the reply  Smiley
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4923

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2017, 08:26:37 AM

Good answer and thank you. Na I am newbie in the crypto realm thus trying to learn the ropes. So apparently my little $1 experiment didn't work. I just sent one dollar worth of lite-coin to my regular Electrum/bitcoin wallet to verify if that was possible, as in, would it do the automatic conversion from lite-coin into bitcoin... so evidently not. It showed sent form my coin-base account but I never seen any deposit into my electrum wallet, thus my question.

Thanks again for the reply  Smiley

What actually should have happened, is that a bitcoin address generated with your regular electrum wallet *should* have started with the number "1". Coinbase should have realised that an address starting with a 1 is not a valid litecoin address, and should have refused to let your enter said address...

However, you can also generate P2SH addresses with electrum. These addresses start with a 3. Litecoin's P2SH addresses also start with a "3". So, if you generated a "special" kind of bitcoin address with your electrum wallet, coinbase had no way of knowing it wasn't a litecoin address, and couldn't have denied your withdrawal.

As for your experiment: you are correct, wallet's don't automatically convert coins.

For your reference, here's a list of bitcoin address prefixes: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/List_of_address_prefixes

I'm not really into altcoins, but AFAIK, litecoin address prefixes are: L, 3 or M... So there can be confusion between a litcoin P2SH address and a bitcoin P2SH address.

Just to make things a bit confusing for you  Tongue

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀