Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:45:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PCI-E Extenders -multiple cards per slot  (Read 782 times)
crudcat (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:31:34 PM

I've been reading up on using PCI-E extenders.  My motherboard has one PCI-E 16x slot - is it possible to break this out into multiple 1x or 16x slots and load up a bunch of GPUs, or do I need one PCI-E slot on board per GPU?

crudcat
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jhk753

Activity: 52

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:07:10 PM

This might answer your question:

http://forums.hackaday.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=952

google is your friend ^^
BlazinBeaches

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:05:46 PM

Expensive, nonetheless good to know the options are available.

I'll stick with 6-7 cards per mobo with riser cables Smiley
crudcat (OP)

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 02:40:17 AM

Yes, I've seen the expressbox and those like it.  That wasn't what I was after though - my question was whether you can break out a single PCI-E slot to separate cards or if each card needs its own slot. 

All of the riser cables I've seen look like simple extenders (1:1).  This has me wondering if it is 1:1 or not.

Thanks for the help Smiley

crudcat

greghawk

Activity: 37

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 05:22:42 PM

look here:

http://www.trentonsystems.com/backplanes/bpx6806-pci-express-backplane

Smiley
Alexander The Great

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 05:24:26 PM

PCI-E extender? Never heard of it.
Blockchainz

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 05:38:18 PM

I have a portable gaming station that uses an external gpu adapter. I have a GTX560ti in an enclosure with a power supply that is connected to my Thinkpad x220 via expresscard adapter. There's a few forum communities devoted to this kind of thing, with the new agenda atm is to make use of Thunderbolt ports on new generation laptops.

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4L.html
These aren't the specific parts I used for my portable battlestation, but it would be the ideal start to browse for parts that could be incorporated into an expresscard->usb adapter of some sort if someone were to try some experiments.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: