Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:19:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning Mining Equipment  (Read 637 times)
RichardBTC (OP)

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 02:34:56 PM

So i checked out on of my rigs i put in my garage and it was filthy. I read this can lead to instabiltity and oblver heating?

How do you guys clean your equipment?

Air compressor would be one way but what about the dust that gets past the fans and doesnt get blown away by the air compressor? Do you dismantle and clean that way?

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project  ☞ Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 03:33:12 PM

Cleaning with a compressor is fine, just make  sure that there is no water in the tank from condensation, you dont want to spray mist on the hardware.

Another thing to do is put a pen or something to stop the fans from spinning if you hit them with a strong compressor blast.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
RichardBTC (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 07:56:11 PM

Cleaning with a compressor is fine, just make  sure that there is no water in the tank from condensation, you dont want to spray mist on the hardware.

Another thing to do is put a pen or something to stop the fans from spinning if you hit them with a strong compressor blast.
yea the pen thing sounds like a good idea.

My rig was switching on and off recently and couldnt figure out why... Then i checked the gpu fans and they were full of dust (prob becuase it was in my garage).

Ill be investing in the compressor and doing regular cleaning to stop any hardware faults

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project  ☞ Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
Philopolymath

Activity: 558
Merit: 295

Walter Russell's Cosmogony is RIGHT!

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 02:11:23 AM

My experience with GPU's was that air blowing is not very effective.
I used isopropyl alcohol...to much better effect...DON'T use cotton swabs they leave fibres that WILL need to be blown out when dry.
Use NON woven fibres or micro fibre cloth..

I also gave many a GPU a vigorous bath in a large tub of Isopropyl. Works great to clean out hard to reach places like cooling fins.
THEN I use air to blow out and dry the units.

(FYI I used this method routinely as official procedure for VERY EXPENSIVE delicate and sensitive Fibre Optic Components  at JDSU R&D)

The experience with GPU's taught me to be MUCH more disciplined to providing clean filtered air for my Asics.
(As did working in an ULTRA CLEAN ROOM)

I have NOT tried this method on my ASICS yet. But I plan to..

So I'm also looking for recommendations or warnings..

Support Alien Beer Circle research...www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRXDk2RMQ4A
RichardBTC (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 06:43:10 PM

My experience with GPU's was that air blowing is not very effective.
I used isopropyl alcohol...to much better effect...DON'T use cotton swabs they leave fibres that WILL need to be blown out when dry.
Use NON woven fibres or micro fibre cloth..

I also gave many a GPU a vigorous bath in a large tub of Isopropyl. Works great to clean out hard to reach places like cooling fins.
THEN I use air to blow out and dry the units.

(FYI I used this method routinely as official procedure for VERY EXPENSIVE delicate and sensitive Fibre Optic Components  at JDSU R&D)

The experience with GPU's taught me to be MUCH more disciplined to providing clean filtered air for my Asics.
(As did working in an ULTRA CLEAN ROOM)

I have NOT tried this method on my ASICS yet. But I plan to..

So I'm also looking for recommendations or warnings..

Wow that sounds very intriguing, ill definitely google that substance.

So its a liquid that you did the entire gpu in?

flameruk

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2017, 08:02:41 PM

I clean my S9 miners every 8 weeks.

Turn off and unplug, allow to cool.
Remove fan near power supply connectors, take the adapter plate off the miner body X 4 screws.
Remove cables connecting hash cards to control card X 3.
Slide out hash cards.

Carefully brush hash cards using anti static brush, remove all dust and debris.
Blow with canned air.

Remove other fan and clean with brush, wipe blades with suitable cleaner.
Clean inside of case if necessary.

Put back together in reverse order, cross fingers and run up.

Pretty easy to do after a couple of tries.

Find my P2POOL node at www.ukp2pool.uk:9332

Donations for operating node?
BTC  1CYevtGy3aqr1reuq7CFceNFAT7snsz3VM
parkers

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 10:11:07 AM

Air compressor is your friend indeed. But for dust that is on coolers, i use alcohol wipes.
If you don't want to mess much with cleaning your mining devices you should consider to have clean your place. Or you have air intake from outside then make dust filter for that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: