Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:35:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Network Switch?  (Read 1293 times)
siforek (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 07:37:36 PM

I've got 3 different Netgear switches here, all of which suck big time. Idk why but I have to reset them every other day or more. Sure the $30 one I figured was a junk consumer switch so tried one of their business class ones with POE even though I didn't need it. Now I'm about to head to Fry's & just buy the most expensive/highest rated switch I can get, unless you guys can suggest a good one? I've got 6 rigs so 8 ports would do fine.

OR maybe there's something else I could be doing here to solve this issue. Resetting the switch is the only thing thus far that 100% fixes it(for a while).
Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zer0k

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2017, 07:56:05 PM

What's the exact problem you're facing?

Netgear switches are used in all sorts of networks from tiny home setups to corporate networks without major issues.
They're definitely not a Juniper or Cisco, but they do make solid hardware at a low price point

I use a MikroTik CSS326-24G-2S+RM that costs ~$135 and has full management and 24x 1GbE and 2x 10GbE Smiley

siforek (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 08:52:03 PM

I figured I'd just buy a Cisco. The problem I'm facing is losing connection to my rigs. Everything will be fine, then can't connect to my pool & only by resetting the switch does everything work again. It's been these 2 specific switches I bought recently, maybe I was unlucky & got 2 bad ones but was curious what others were using or if anyone else had similar issues with consumer switches.
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2017, 09:19:50 PM

I've got 3 different Netgear switches here, all of which suck big time. Idk why but I have to reset them every other day or more. Sure the $30 one I figured was a junk consumer switch so tried one of their business class ones with POE even though I didn't need it. Now I'm about to head to Fry's & just buy the most expensive/highest rated switch I can get, unless you guys can suggest a good one? I've got 6 rigs so 8 ports would do fine.

OR maybe there's something else I could be doing here to solve this issue. Resetting the switch is the only thing thus far that 100% fixes it(for a while).
Thanks!

never had any problem with Netgear switches , except a few times when they just stopped working after 4-5-6 years .
I built a lot of home network for my customers , mostly used NETGEAR GS105NA  or NETGEAR GS108, that extra 4-7 Gigabit port give them enough extra port for they wired connections.

Are you sure you have problems with the switch ? not with your modem or your router ? its very unusual to have the same problem with 3 different switches ...

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 10:10:56 PM

Netgear pro switches are great or Unifi
siforek (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Thanks!

never had any problem with Netgear switches , except a few times when they just stopped working after 4-5-6 years .
I built a lot of home network for my customers , mostly used NETGEAR GS105NA  or NETGEAR GS108, that extra 4-7 Gigabit port give them enough extra port for they wired connections.

Are you sure you have problems with the switch ? not with your modem or your router ? its very unusual to have the same problem with 3 different switches ...

You make a good point. I did consider my router. Probably best to try replacing that first.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 07:35:49 PM

I've got 3 different Netgear switches here, all of which suck big time.

Are they the plastic-case consumer grade junk, or are they the metal-case PRO grade gear that tends to work VERY reliably and last a VERY long time?

It's a night and day difference between the 2 lines - almost like Netgear farms out the plastic-case junk to DLink or Linksys.....

FS108, GS108, GS105 are all very reliable switch lines - some of my "original style" FS108 are pushing 20 YEARS of usage despite rarely having the luxury of living in an air-conditioned environment.

I too would tend to suspect issues with whatever router you are using before I'd consider a pro-line Netgear switch to be bad.

Could also be the cable(s).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
xxcsu

Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2017, 11:02:15 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2017, 11:12:18 PM by xxcsu

You make a good point. I did consider my router. Probably best to try replacing that first.

Im not sure what country are you located , and maybe a lot of members here not going to agree with my advice on this one...
If you are a home user , i would consider a modem/router/wireless gateway all in one , so you dont have to deal with setting up a modem with the router , and deal with your wireless settings , dhcp configuration ...

If you are in the usa , there is some cheap all in one solution for you :
NETGEAR N300 (8x4) WiFi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C3000) for 86$

or for more advanced user :
ARRIS SURFboard SBG7580AC Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem/ Wi-Fi AC1750 Router for 199$

and if you want the newest one , with more advanced future ,and you have some extra $ to spend :
NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S DOCSIS 3.1 Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem Router (C7800) for 400$

There is a few more out there Smiley

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
Phantoms001

Activity: 135

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 01:12:27 AM

My kneejerk response to the OP is to buy used gear.  I'd rather go with something like used Cisco routers.  You can buy them for next to nothing on Govdeals.com.  Just search for your zipcode and how many mile radius.  I buy all different kinds of servers and switches for 1.00-5.00 to scrap out. 
sevenmiles

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 03:12:00 AM

TP-Link 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch | Plug and Play | Desktop/Rackmount | Fanless | Limited Lifetime (TL-SG1024D)
$93.99

Features

Innovative energy-efficient technology saves power up to 20%
Supports IEEE 802.3x flow control for Full Duplex mode and backpressure for Half Duplex mode
Non-blocking switching architecture that forwards and filters packets at full wire-speed for maximum throughput
48Gbps Switching Capacity
10K Jumbo frame improves performance of large data transfers
Auto-MDI/MDIX eliminates the need for crossover cables
Supports MAC address auto-learning and auto-aging
Store and forward Switching scheme
Auto-negotiation ports provide smart integration between 10Mbps, 100Mbps and 1000Mbps hardware.
Desktop and Rack-mountable design
Plug and Play design simplifies installation

toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 03:19:04 AM

I use this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AX8XHRQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i bought it for the 10/100/1000 and 16 ports . why the speeds i move a lot of big files around my home network and found out a 10/100 won't cut it for fast moving and even some fast downloads i know i only need 10 for mining i use it for more then mining over a 150up/150 down fiber line.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 11:36:46 PM

Used Cisco, Netgear Blue Box, and 3Com gear tend to be good - I've got an old 3Com 100BaseT switch that I bought used at least 15 years back, still working reliably.

I'm distinctly NOT fond of TP-Link or D-Link stuff, had too many issues with both over the years, though TP-Link seems to have done some work on reliability in recent years.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 05:23:01 AM

Used Cisco, Netgear Blue Box, and 3Com gear tend to be good - I've got an old 3Com 100BaseT switch that I bought used at least 15 years back, still working reliably.

I'm distinctly NOT fond of TP-Link or D-Link stuff, had too many issues with both over the years, though TP-Link seems to have done some work on reliability in recent years.

its that way why any switch that the company name has link in it, there all honestly crap. netgear pro line all the way, or cisco

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
bouldou

Activity: 403
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 06:14:33 AM

I use this one, really switch and VERY reliable : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B001FWYGJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I change the firmware to a DD-WRT one, no issue in 4 months Smiley

Vous voulez une Lambo ? Investissez dans le YENTEN : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2706079.0
Smoikata

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 01:05:06 PM

Unifi is the best price/quality in the market.
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 03:19:50 PM

When it comes to network products there is only one number one in the world. That is without a single doubt the CISCO NETWORKS SYSTEM. Their routers, modems and switches are the best in class and cannot be compared to anything else in this field. These costs a lot compared to other switches devices. I would suggest for a medium  price/quality range the D-Link switch, it works very well and if your internet connection and your cables are of good quality you don't need to restart it almost everyday. I speak from personal experience, I have all work switches of this brand and rarely we have had to restart them.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 03:09:03 AM

When it comes to network products there is only one number one in the world. That is without a single doubt the CISCO NETWORKS SYSTEM.

Cisco has had a few turkey products over the years mostly in their "consumer-grade" gear, but overall in routers they are generally the best (their "consumer-grade" stuff though isn't nearly as good as their "pro-grade" stuff).
 For switches, they WERE at least matched by 3Com (I'd actually argue the 3Com SWITCHES were better but it was very close) and are still CURRENTLY matched by Netgear pro-level hardware.

Cisco DOES get argued with on the high end for routers - but it's by other high-end companies most folks have never heard of because they ONLY make high-end gear.

toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 05:11:00 AM

When it comes to network products there is only one number one in the world. That is without a single doubt the CISCO NETWORKS SYSTEM.

Cisco has had a few turkey products over the years mostly in their "consumer-grade" gear, but overall in routers they are generally the best (their "consumer-grade" stuff though isn't nearly as good as their "pro-grade" stuff).
 For switches, they WERE at least matched by 3Com (I'd actually argue the 3Com SWITCHES were better but it was very close) and are still CURRENTLY matched by Netgear pro-level hardware.

Cisco DOES get argued with on the high end for routers - but it's by other high-end companies most folks have never heard of because they ONLY make high-end gear.

they all have had turkey products...... no one company is immune to bad products no matter how much others like to  think different .
a lot would be amazed if they knew who really made a lot of the cheaper stuff or even some of the high end stuff..

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Chicago

Activity: 592
Merit: 259

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 05:38:31 AM

If you want to be pretty certain about not having the router's firmware crash on you and interrupting your connectivity within the LAN; try using an unmanaged switch for those critical devices and then linking the unmanaged switch to the router.  As long as you're not relying on too many of the advanced features on a managed switch - this should provide you with the simplest, most robust Ethernet possible.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 03:04:33 AM

If you want to be pretty certain about not having the router's firmware crash on you and interrupting your connectivity within the LAN; try using an unmanaged switch for those critical devices and then linking the unmanaged switch to the router.  As long as you're not relying on too many of the advanced features on a managed switch - this should provide you with the simplest, most robust Ethernet possible.

There is no point to buying a managed switch for a mining situation (unless you get a used one DIRT cheap).

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: