Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 02:04:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: running a mining rig inside a mini fridge  (Read 6138 times)
mxc0bbn (OP)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

Welcome to Miami!

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 02:00:13 AM

Ok, so I wanted to get you in here because I've been thinking a lot about how to best cool a mining rig.  I've started doing research on the electrical usage of a mini-fridge and it looks like with "average use", a relatively efficient model can use between 300-400kw/h per year which works out to between 1 and 1.5kw/h per day.  At ~$0.11/kw/h that's about ~$44 per month.  I know I'm not talking average use for this purpose, but gotta baseline somewhere.

The walls of the fridge are insulated so I figured if you can put the psu on the outside, drill holes for the cables and get good placement of the components inside it might work out...so here are the things of this crazy idea I want sanity checks on:

(1 and 2 I think are equally important)

1.   Keeping a steady temperature with no heat sources fighting you is one thing, but having two heat generators in there will definitely strain components...Can the refrigeration components inside a mini-fridge take the constant usage 24/7 the way a central A/C can or will it kaput in short order?

2.  How do I keep the humidity from condensation low enough where it doesn't damage the rigs? (Is it even possible inside such a small space?)

3.  If 1 and 2 above can be conquered...should I add a fan to vent the heat from the cards while the fridge's blower blows in cold air?

4.  Would it just be saner to build a 6foot x 3foot x 3foot insulated cabinet and use a small window A/C to pump cold air in or is this just as crazy?

Disclaimer: No drugs were involved in the making of this idea   Cool

ninjarobots

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 05:06:40 AM

The Cryonic Bitcoin Mining Machine Is $15,000 Of Pure BTC Power | TechCrunch

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/23/the-cryonic-bitcoin-mining-machine-is-15000-of-pure-btc-power/

Something like this  Smiley
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 05:08:46 AM

It will not work.

4.  Would it just be saner to build a 6foot x 3foot x 3foot insulated cabinet and use a small window A/C to pump cold air in or is this just as crazy?
This is a much better idea.
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 07:16:22 AM

If you area talking about cheap mini-fridges they aren't really designed to cool stuff as much as keep it cool.

I don't think they can even move out all the heat that is generated by almost anything inside...

The later idea is more workable.

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 10:09:11 AM

I don't think it's a good idea as the constant heat coming from the rig would simply screw up the mini fridge.

raze

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:27:37 AM

This idea crossed my mind as well, many moons ago. Of course it works in your head because you want it to, but it turns out it doesn't.

The second idea sounds feasible enough (though it could get expensive?) as long as you set up the airflow correctly.

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
patricktim

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 12:15:19 PM

why dont you buy a cheap second hand fridge~

raze

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 12:41:05 PM

why dont you buy a cheap second hand fridge~

Did you even read anything?

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
Photon939

Activity: 452

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 02:35:44 PM

The BTU removal capacity of a mini fridge compressor is going to be far smaller than the heat output of even a single HD5870, they're also not designed for continuous operation. The condenser would become saturated and the compressor overloaded in less than an hour of running.

A window aircon however has fan cooled heat rejection and a compressor about 20x larger. This is a viable option, although it will use a decent chunk of power.
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 04:13:18 PM

So most designs but cascade-compressors out of question?

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 04:37:53 PM

running a mining rig inside a mini fridge

It is absolutely not recommended to do this. For obvious reasons. 1) It will not work. 2) you will ruin your hardware https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensation 3) I know I said will never link to oc.net ever again, but this is a must read http://www.overclock.net/t/105345/info-fridge-as-pc-cooler 4) You'd be better off with a 2-3 stage phase change cooler.
pand70

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:05:02 PM

2) you will ruin your hardware https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensation

Condensation it's not a problem as long as your motherboard works while submerged into oil.   Shocked Grin

http://www.overclock.net/t/605174/a-mini-fridge-can-cool-a-pc

Eventually he failed but still it was a decent try lol  Cheesy

pekv2

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:06:46 PM

2) you will ruin your hardware https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensation

Condensation it's not a problem as long as your motherboard works while submerged into oil.   Shocked Grin

^^ Title Shocked

RichG

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:19:31 PM

Put your rig in this:

Sorry, forgot to crop image!  Sad
mxc0bbn (OP)

Welcome to Miami!

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:17:19 AM

Wow! so much good stuff here I don't know where to begin...so I guess I'll begin in the 24th and a half century:

Kryoniks?  Really? I think those guys really think the world is full of Homer Simpsons Peter Griffins cause basically those are the only people that would fall for that load of crap!  Mine bitcoins AND litecoins at the SAME HASHRATE with the SAME HARDWARE while MAKING NITROGEN?!?!?  How about a holodeck too while you're at it?

(2 minute pause while I laugh my ass off)

01BTC10:
Thanks for the feedback and I think you're right...but what's with the diagram of the refrigeration system?

Everyone else who said the compressor would burn out
Thanks, I thought as much, but having a consensus removes any doubt...

pekv2
Great link...thanks...That example with the room temp coke bottle illustrates the point beautifully.  
So why don't you like linking over there?  Article seems well written and thought out...

pand70
Condensation it's not a problem as long as your motherboard works while submerged into oil.

Not even the same thing...Mineral oil is not electrically conductive (as water is) so it doesn't short out circuits...just makes them all greasy Smiley ...case in point, all electrical transformers like the ones hanging on utility poles use Mineral oil for coooling.

This is how you really do it though if you're interested:

RichG
I'm assuming that is a sketch of an enclosure?...what are the dimmensions? Can't get a good mental picture from your sketch...

So the bottom line definitely the custom built enclosure would be the way to go.  With adequate airflow as was mentioned.  I already have a crazy design idea in mind for the cabinet...just a matter of building it...

Thanks all for the feedback.

RichG

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:48:59 AM

Wow! so much good stuff here I don't know where to begin...so I guess I'll begin in the 24th and a half century:

Kryoniks?  Really? I think those guys really think the world is full of Homer Simpsons Peter Griffins cause basically those are the only people that would fall for that load of crap!  Mine bitcoins AND litecoins at the SAME HASHRATE with the SAME HARDWARE while MAKING NITROGEN?!?!?  How about a holodeck too while you're at it?

(2 minute pause while I laugh my ass off)

01BTC10:
Thanks for the feedback and I think you're right...but what's with the diagram of the refrigeration system?

Everyone else who said the compressor would burn out
Thanks, I thought as much, but having a consensus removes any doubt...

pekv2
Great link...thanks...That example with the room temp coke bottle illustrates the point beautifully.  
So why don't you like linking over there?  Article seems well written and thought out...

pand70
Condensation it's not a problem as long as your motherboard works while submerged into oil.

Not even the same thing...Mineral oil is not electrically conductive (as water is) so it doesn't short out circuits...just makes them all greasy Smiley ...case in point, all electrical transformers like the ones hanging on utility poles use Mineral oil for coooling.

This is how you really do it though if you're interested:

RichG
I'm assuming that is a sketch of an enclosure?...what are the dimmensions? Can't get a good mental picture from your sketch...

So the bottom line definitely the custom built enclosure would be the way to go.  With adequate airflow as was mentioned.  I already have a crazy design idea in mind for the cabinet...just a matter of building it...

Thanks all for the feedback.

Yes, that is an enclosure. My box fan is about 2 1/2 ft tall, so you would have 3ft to put the rig in, then a vent at the end. I do not know how much power this setup would use, since I don't have a kill-a-watt.
Also, (duh!) put a hole for your power cords on one of the walls on this "mining box". I would go for plywood for the outer shell because it's cheap and durable. Plexi is OK, too.
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:52:52 AM

a relatively efficient model can use between 300-400kw/h per year which works out to between 1 and 1.5kw/h per day.  

If it uses 1 kWh per day that means it can only cool something like 0.85 kWh per day.  If your rig draws more than 35 watts this is going to be a problem.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
pekv2

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:35:43 AM

pekv2

Np.
The mods are censoring loving whores, from the stomachs of censoring whore mothers. I think that's is clean and cut.
mxc0bbn (OP)

Welcome to Miami!

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 05:50:04 AM

Np.
The mods are censoring loving whores, from the stomachs of censoring whore mothers. I think that's is clean and cut.

Stop beating around the bush and tell me how you really feel about them   Cheesy

pekv2

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 01:11:59 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177154.0
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: