Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:55:34 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: running a mining rig inside a mini fridge  (Read 6138 times)
ondratra

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 03:09:20 PM

O.M.G. I want his aquarium Cheesy:D looks amazing
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 03:53:56 PM

Forget cooling the air unless you live on or in the sun. It's much more cost-efficient to just blow more air (or liquid) in from outside over the heat sinks. You want heatsinks with lots of fins made of a material very able to conduct heat, you want effective thermal paste (I hear mayonnaise outperforms a fair number of proprietary pastes...), and you want a lot of air moving over the heat sink. You want to move heat, not create cold -- no reason to snub the fine ambient-temperature air you already have (again - unless you live on or in the sun).

The absolute last thing you want to do is restrict airflow to the device, even if the air which is still able to move over the device is colder.
cryptopi

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Want some pi with that?

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:23:57 PM

#4: yes, I believe it would be saner

www.hosterbox.com - really good web hosting (accepts bitcoins)
(disclaimer - I am not affiliated with hosterbox in any way)
johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 03:12:37 AM

Wow! so much good stuff here I don't know where to begin...so I guess I'll begin in the 24th and a half century:

Kryoniks?  Really? I think those guys really think the world is full of Homer Simpsons Peter Griffins cause basically those are the only people that would fall for that load of crap!  Mine bitcoins AND litecoins at the SAME HASHRATE with the SAME HARDWARE while MAKING NITROGEN?!?!?  How about a holodeck too while you're at it?

(2 minute pause while I laugh my ass off)

01BTC10:
Thanks for the feedback and I think you're right...but what's with the diagram of the refrigeration system?

Everyone else who said the compressor would burn out
Thanks, I thought as much, but having a consensus removes any doubt...

pekv2
Great link...thanks...That example with the room temp coke bottle illustrates the point beautifully.  
So why don't you like linking over there?  Article seems well written and thought out...

pand70
Condensation it's not a problem as long as your motherboard works while submerged into oil.

Not even the same thing...Mineral oil is not electrically conductive (as water is) so it doesn't short out circuits...just makes them all greasy Smiley ...case in point, all electrical transformers like the ones hanging on utility poles use Mineral oil for coooling.

This is how you really do it though if you're interested:

RichG
I'm assuming that is a sketch of an enclosure?...what are the dimmensions? Can't get a good mental picture from your sketch...

So the bottom line definitely the custom built enclosure would be the way to go.  With adequate airflow as was mentioned.  I already have a crazy design idea in mind for the cabinet...just a matter of building it...

Thanks all for the feedback.

LMFAO you should put a couple fish in there!
raze

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 03:39:52 AM

You can find the cooling performance and everything else for this beast here. It's a pretty good read Smiley

EDIT: "Under full load with Prime 95 (16 threads) and FurMark (multi-GPU mode), our test system pulls a staggering 820W from the wall! That is a lot of heat to dissipate. We used Antec tri-cool fans on the radiator, and we tested the system with the fans on low speed (very quiet), and on high speed (no so quiet). Even with the fans on low, the system maxes out at just over 60C." Jealous yet? I know I am!

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 12:45:03 PM

You can find the cooling performance and everything else for this beast here. It's a pretty good read Smiley

EDIT: "Under full load with Prime 95 (16 threads) and FurMark (multi-GPU mode), our test system pulls a staggering 820W from the wall! That is a lot of heat to dissipate. We used Antec tri-cool fans on the radiator, and we tested the system with the fans on low speed (very quiet), and on high speed (no so quiet). Even with the fans on low, the system maxes out at just over 60C." Jealous yet? I know I am!
So is it possible to put fish in there or not?  Cheesy

raze

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:34:14 PM

I'm going to say no, 60C is quite warm.

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 12:33:22 PM

Ohhhh... Sad

brooklynite

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 07:00:57 AM

Hey its been over 8 months already, is the oil BOILING yet?
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 11:46:57 AM

I think the BTCminifridge is a great idea. I have similar technology for making soup with the radiator in my apt.
first get a can of campell's cheese soup
remove lid
place on radiator
wait half hour
voila
compro01

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 02:41:50 PM

It will not work.

4.  Would it just be saner to build a 6foot x 3foot x 3foot insulated cabinet and use a small window A/C to pump cold air in or is this just as crazy?
This is a much better idea.

Most minifridges I've seen don't use phase-change for cooling like full-size fridges.  They use a peltier effect system.

Put your rig in this:

Sorry, forgot to crop image!  Sad

I'd recommend sticking a furnace filter between the box fan and the case, otherwise that much airflow is going to make for dust problems.  Conveniently, a 20x16" filter is almost exactly the size of the side panel of most ATX midtowers and a 25x20" is about right for a full tower.
apsvinet

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 12:24:28 AM

I support the mini fridge idea to 1000%. Please provide us with pictures of your progress, or perhaps a video blog.
I need them for…research..

∎               GAWMiners The Hashlet World's first digital cloud miner!
∎∎∎   No pool fees Instant activation Never obsolete Always profitable
cookiemonsterwhat

Activity: 252

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 12:31:57 AM

Wow! so much good stuff here I don't know where to begin...so I guess I'll begin in the 24th and a half century:

Kryoniks?  Really? I think those guys really think the world is full of Homer Simpsons Peter Griffins cause basically those are the only people that would fall for that load of crap!  Mine bitcoins AND litecoins at the SAME HASHRATE with the SAME HARDWARE while MAKING NITROGEN?!?!?  How about a holodeck too while you're at it?

(2 minute pause while I laugh my ass off)

01BTC10:
Thanks for the feedback and I think you're right...but what's with the diagram of the refrigeration system?

Everyone else who said the compressor would burn out
Thanks, I thought as much, but having a consensus removes any doubt...

pekv2
Great link...thanks...That example with the room temp coke bottle illustrates the point beautifully.  
So why don't you like linking over there?  Article seems well written and thought out...

pand70
Condensation it's not a problem as long as your motherboard works while submerged into oil.

Not even the same thing...Mineral oil is not electrically conductive (as water is) so it doesn't short out circuits...just makes them all greasy Smiley ...case in point, all electrical transformers like the ones hanging on utility poles use Mineral oil for coooling.

This is how you really do it though if you're interested:

RichG
I'm assuming that is a sketch of an enclosure?...what are the dimmensions? Can't get a good mental picture from your sketch...

So the bottom line definitely the custom built enclosure would be the way to go.  With adequate airflow as was mentioned.  I already have a crazy design idea in mind for the cabinet...just a matter of building it...

Thanks all for the feedback.

Damn, that looks so awesome lol.

nitehawk

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Worldcore - Banking for the Future

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 12:34:12 AM

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy a portable ac unit?

▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄█████████████████████▄
      ▄██████████████████████████▄
    ▄█████████████████▀▀▀██████████
   █████████████████       ███████
  ██████▀▀▀████████   ███   ██████   █
 █████       ██████   ███   ██████   ██
 ████   ███   █████   ███   █████   ███
█████   ███   █████   ███    ████   ████
█████   ███   █████   ████   ████   ████
████    ███   ████   █████   ███   █████
████   ████   ████   █████   ███   █████
▀███   ████   ████   ██████       █████
 ███   █████   ███   ████████▄▄▄███████
  █   ██████   ███   █████████████████
      ███████       █████████████████
     ██████████▄▄▄█████████████████▀
     ▀███████████████████████████▀
       ▀▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

Worldcore
▄▄
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
▀▀  ██
    ██
    ▄▄
    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ▀▀
██   
ahmedjadoon
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:52:59 AM

Naughty idea but don't think it would work.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: