Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:27:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU Mining Litecoins - GTX 970  (Read 2984 times)
AkaSnake (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 02:16:47 AM

Hello guys, I am looking to mine Litecoins using my GTX 970 until I invest in some hardware, I would like to know the best software to use, which website should I use for my wallet and currency. Also, if I should go for pooling or just use Litecoin Core for solo mining, thank you in advance for your help! Smiley
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 02:19:57 AM

GPU mining LTC hasn't been profitable for years. It's ASIC only. If you want to accumulate LTC by GPU mining, you can mine another coin that is more profitable and trade for LTC.
AkaSnake (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 02:23:35 AM

What would be your recommendations for which currency to GPU mine and then trade for LTC ? Smiley
Vann

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 02:54:00 AM
Last edit: September 26, 2017, 03:35:48 AM by Vann

What would be your recommendations for which currency to GPU mine and then trade for LTC ? Smiley

I don't have a GTX 970, but my guess would be an Equihash coin like ZEC would be a good choice. You can also download the NiceHash miner and run the benchmark feature. That will give you your cards hash rate for various algorithms and how much you can expect to make per day. The NiceHash miner automatically mines the most profitable coins and pays out in BTC. That may be a good option for you since you want to trade for LTC. With NiceHash you do make ~10% less than mining on your own for the convinience. Once you have your cards hash rate, if you want to mine on your own you can use whattomine.com to figure out what would be the most profitable to mine.
AkaSnake (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 03:09:29 AM

Alright I'll check that out, thanks! Smiley
Phantoms001

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 03:16:58 AM

Yeah, your not going to have any luck with Litecoin.  Personally, if you are only using 1 card I'd give winminer a try.  I get about .85 to 1.10 a day without any overclock or mod.  You can withdraw it to bitcoin, eth, paypal starting at $10.00.  Nice Hash is okay, but they are slow to pay and you have to get bitcoin.  Because I'm not saving coins it is cheaper for me to go straight to paypal.   It is a simple way to start.  You could be mining in 10 mins and work out the wallet thing as you go.
AkaSnake (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 03:22:09 AM

WinMiner looks nice, I'll give it a go.
Phantoms001

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 03:32:50 AM

Its a good way to start.  It is more work than you think to figure out the miners, mods, wallets, ect.. Every day you aren't mining is money you could have had.  Just download, put in your email, benchmark, and your off to the races.  Nice hash is okay, but like I said, you are forced to take bitcoin which you may decide later you really don't want.  Also, I got to the point I was getting paid every 2-3 weeks 100-200 when I should have been paid every week.  Kind of turned me off.  Also, You pay a fee to nicehash, then have to transfer from your wallet to an exchange (2nd fee), then a big fee to sell (3rd fee).  I'm far better off with going to paypal. 

From there, you can start reading and reading. 
AkaSnake (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 03:35:27 AM

I tried Winminer, my cpu is i7-4770k but like you said I was getting around 0.50 per day when I benchmarked it, it doesn't seem much if I look at all the strain being put on my CPU/GPU. So yeah, I'm open to more suggestions :p
Phantoms001

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 04:16:23 AM

I tried Winminer, my cpu is i7-4770k but like you said I was getting around 0.50 per day when I benchmarked it, it doesn't seem much if I look at all the strain being put on my CPU/GPU. So yeah, I'm open to more suggestions :p

lol,

You can't mine anything with a cpu.  We are taking about a GTX 970 video card correct?  You need to uncheck the CPU box so you are only using the GPU.  If all you see is the CPU maybe update your drivers.
AkaSnake (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 04:25:23 AM

I had both on, I'll try with just the GPU. Do I leave the "all coins" option on ?

Edit: 6.29 Mh/s: only 0.24$/day with my GPU
Vann

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 04:40:53 AM

I had both on, I'll try with just the GPU. Do I leave the "all coins" option on ?

Edit: 6.29 Mh/s: only 0.24$/day with my GPU

Yes, you want it to benchmark all coins so it can pick the most profitable option for your card.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 07:54:46 PM

Install Nicehash Legacy.
Run benchmarks.
Check benchmarked hashrates in mining calculator (WhatToMine is probably the best "comparison" one) to see what's most profitable - or just go "lazy" and use Nicehash itself, it'll usually be close to that.

One of my GTX 950 is currently pulling about 50 cents/day, my pair of GTX 960 about $1.35 between them, on one machine I'm just being lazy and running Nicehash on.

(CPU and iGPU side of the A10 in that machine are doing other stuff at this time).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Ultegra134

Activity: 1596
Merit: 785

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 08:11:21 PM

I will also agree with the Nicehash Legacy version. The latest versions that up after the recent updates contain a wide variety of Algorithms, it will automatically choose the most profitable at that time.

Keep in mind that your GPU is a little outdated, the GTX 10XX series perform quite better, so, it's normal if some algorithms do not function. Also, it's no need to disable mining for your CPU, unless you are working on the computer at the same time.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:51:38 PM

I will also agree with the Nicehash Legacy version. The latest versions that up after the recent updates contain a wide variety of Algorithms, it will automatically choose the most profitable at that time.

Keep in mind that your GPU is a little outdated, the GTX 10XX series perform quite better, so, it's normal if some algorithms do not function. Also, it's no need to disable mining for your CPU, unless you are working on the computer at the same time.

In my case, the CPU is working a BOINC project that DOES use as much of the entire CPU as it can, as is the iGPU on the CPU.
 I'm pretty sure that counts as "working on the computer at the same time".

9-)

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
IaneCedrick

Activity: 10

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:56:03 PM

Hello guys, I am looking to mine Litecoins using my GTX 970 until I invest in some hardware, I would like to know the best software to use, which website should I use for my wallet and currency. Also, if I should go for pooling or just use Litecoin Core for solo mining, thank you in advance for your help! Smiley

Try Nicehash I'm using it and its easy to use.  They have so many algo for your gpu and make more profit.
bearsworth

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 11:22:15 PM

Imo mine zcash and trade for litecoins. I have two 970s making $1.60+ a day after electricity. At current moment its $2/day on zcash. Awesome Wink.

Bitrated user: cryptomark.
danielogalue

Activity: 241

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 12:13:29 AM

At first I minied litcoin withCPU, then it became unprofitable. I moved to GPU, after a while it also lost ptofit. Now i use ASIC only. this things keep moving, someday another mining machine that is faster will be out. Am not a tech guy. I only buy and use.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY ($PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Bounty]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: