Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:10:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Global warming  (Read 1131 times)
bitfriend (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:56:30 AM

Just wondered what cost to environment of all these computers using power to mine bitcoin until all coins are mined.  Has anyone come up with any estimates?
wimschim

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:31:46 AM

Global warming is a hoax! It has never been this cold in Europe before... So please add more miners, it might get warmer next year.
VeeMiner

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:34:01 AM

Global warming is a hoax! It has never been this cold in Europe before... So please add more miners, it might get warmer next year.

yep
evilscoop

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:35:07 AM

there was an article on it, someplace......but GW is a hoax..move on
Birdy

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:35:41 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2013, 10:54:56 AM by Birdy

Besides being false (ever heard about the ice age?), this doesn't mean a thing. We could very well have a global warming and have very low temperature in Europe. The climate in Europe is heavily influenced by the Gulfstream and a lot of other factors.

there was an article on it, someplace......but GW is a hoax..move on
Yeah, I'm sure there is a article that the internet is a hoax, somewhere in the internet.

That being said, the current financal system doesn't run without a cost either.
Ghost42

Activity: 51

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:37:15 AM

Someday we can settle down on Greenland again Smiley
wimschim

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:03:57 AM

@Birdy, You're completely right.Global warming is something real, I cannot deny that. I just don't think we will notice any effect in our lifetime.
 The funny thing here is that all the comps crunching BTC will only account for 0.000001%(give or take some) of all energy consumption worldwide. . I don't think BTC is using more energy than an average banking corp.
Birdy

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:11:22 AM

@Birdy, You're completely right.Global warming is something real, I cannot deny that. I just don't think we will notice any effect in our lifetime.
The funny thing here is that all the comps crunching BTC will only account for 0.000001%(give or take some) of all energy consumption worldwide. . I don't think BTC is using more energy than an average banking corp.
I also think there is too much worry about the CO2 emissions and too less about the stuff that is really important right now (e.g. too much fishing, fish populations are collapsing right now)
lerelerele

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:12:28 AM

In Spain we will have the clodest summer until 1816 http://www.hoy.es/20130529/mas-actualidad/sociedad/verano-2013-frio-lluvioso-201305291010.html ¿Golbal warming? nope, that was for money ¿We havent to do nothing? nope, the UV hole is bigger every time but not for hot, the problem is the radiation.
Birdy

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:14:19 AM

In Spain we will have the clodest summer until 1816 http://www.hoy.es/20130529/mas-actualidad/sociedad/verano-2013-frio-lluvioso-201305291010.html ¿Golbal warming? nope, that was for money ¿We havent to do nothing? nope, the UV hole is bigger every time but not for hot, the problem is the radiation.
There are thousands of charts "proving" and "disproving" global warming all over the internet...
Also the belief in global warming changes with every too cold or too hot season at your local place (no kidding, over 20% of the people seem to change their minds when the season is hotter or colder than usual), thats not how it works. It's called global for a reason.
jlsminingcorp

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

Hooray for non-equilibrium thermodynamics!

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:42:50 AM

The BBC ran a story on this that may be of interest (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22153687). Seems like we're not that bad, bitcoin is consuming 0.025% of the US household electricity supply apparently. Not sure if these numbers are accurate.

Bitcoin can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
BitFury ASIC miner hosted group buy [DONE MINING]
WikiLeaksLover

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:47:18 AM

If you don't believe climate change is real, come on down to the good old southern united states. Every summer we set a record high temperature. 10 years ago in the part of the southern us i live in, it would get in the low 90s at most. the last 5 years, that number has rose to last summer, a high of 107 degrees Fahrenheit plus humidity. you don't know what global warming is until you step out of your house and immediately feel dizzy woozy and nauseus. we've had record draughts in my area every year for the last several years. Global Warming is real. Scientific fact, not fiction. The bright side is that the plants seem to absorb alot of the excess carbon dioxide. but the heat is so immense it kills most of the plants during the summer.
Edelrid

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:49:14 AM

The energy consumption of the mining is indeed a lot. Anyhow, the other option is to continue with the global corrupted banking (slavery) system, which gives power to the hands where there's already power. That makes it an incredibly conservative system of power distrubution. Conservative power distribution leads to the maintenance and protection of existing business. What is the existing business?

I'd say the existing business is
a) war
b) oil
c) coal

Now let's talk about the global warming caused by Bitcoin mining...

The bitcoin mining also is a system that equilibrates its costs (consumption) along with the price of bitcoin if I understand correctly.

Edelrid

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:51:05 AM

...and along with the challenge of mining new coins ..which increases over time untill it's virtually impossible.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 02:31:40 PM

Just wondered what cost to environment of all these computers using power to mine bitcoin until all coins are mined.  Has anyone come up with any estimates?

I would guess a lot. A ton of carbon footprints. It's not just all these miners, you got a/c units that pull a lot as well to keep these miners cool. But then you got more and more semi's, vehicles on the road. In legal states, you got legally licensed in door grow operations, that pull massive electric. But what I can say from, a person that knows what he is talking about, the filters at coc/coal power plants, restrictions are getting hardened, and filters are becoming more advanced to basically, what gets released into the sky is vapor. For power produced by dams and wind mills, probably has no effect. This is really a great topic to speak about. People will disagree and will agree at what is happening, with proof or not. I am guessing this is a biased subject? I think bias is the correct term, if not, I apologize.
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 02:56:36 PM

Global warming is the biggest pump and dump scheme of  our times. Rising temperatures have stalled for 15 years despite rising atmospheric CO2 levels.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/04/15/scientists-baffled-as-report-proves-global-warming-has-stopped/

Now they have to call it Climate Change instead. It is absurd to think we can predict global climate change or what the costs vs. benefits might be in the longterm.

Birdy

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 03:07:32 PM

Global warming is the biggest pump and dump scheme of  our times. Rising temperatures have stalled for 15 years despite rising atmospheric CO2 levels.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/04/15/scientists-baffled-as-report-proves-global-warming-has-stopped/

Now they have to call it Climate Change instead. It is absurd to think we can predict global climate change or what the costs vs. benefits might be in the longterm.

Oh nice, you've found a article to "prove" it's hoax.

Well here is a chart "proving" it's not:
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/indicators/weather-climate/temperature.html#fragment-2

Like I said, there are thousand of charts&articles about this. Sadly it's more politic than science.
Climate analysis is so complex that it's easy to create "proofs" for every opinion.

I don't know why a lot of people start with assuming that there is no influence whatsoever though, when the amount of CO2 in the air, doubles, triples etc.
bitcoinscanada

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 03:12:04 PM

Forecasters can't ever predict the weekly forecast correctly..
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 03:28:40 PM

Global warming is the biggest pump and dump scheme of  our times. Rising temperatures have stalled for 15 years despite rising atmospheric CO2 levels.

Oh nice, you've found a article to "prove" it's hoax.

Well here is a chart "proving" it's not:
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/indicators/weather-climate/temperature.html#fragment-2

Like I said, there are thousand of charts&articles about this. Sadly it's more politic than science.
Climate analysis is so complex that it's easy to create "proofs" for every opinion.

I don't know why a lot of people start with assuming that there is no influence whatsoever though, when the amount of CO2 in the air, doubles, triples etc.

That chart shows the same thing.  No increase in average global surface temperature over the last 15 years. Rising CO2 is one factor affecting climate among many.
I agree it is politics and funding that drive the discussion more than science.
Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 03:33:08 PM

Far less than your bank. Exponentially less than all banks. Next to infinitely less than all banks, money transmitters and llikes put together.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: