Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 03:53:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Do People Buy Bitcoins On Ebay?  (Read 1018 times)
BitCoinzRUS (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 02:43:34 PM

Why Do People buy Bitcoin Off Ebay? Why do so many people pay such over inflated prices on Ebay? I've seen electronic Bitcoins, sell for as much as $220+ dollars each. Why do people pay such high prices when you can just get them on Mt. Gox for less.

I happen to be an Ebay Bitcoin seller by the way. Just curious as to what makes people so desperate for Bitcoin that they would be willing to pay almost twice the Market Value.
pennypig

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 03:07:33 PM

My only guess is because they are either:
A) scammers who intend on reversing the paypal transaction
B) already have a bunch of money in paypal / no easy way of getting btc otherwise.
BitCoinzRUS (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 04:57:59 PM

B) already have a bunch of money in paypal / no easy way of getting btc otherwise.

I doubt they are scammers as I have sold bitcoin on ebay and not had any problems. And many seller's have an have been selling Bitcoin on ebay for a long time now.

It Is a hassle to wire the money to MT.gox. Have you ever been denied by an American bank who refused to deal with Gox? I heard many of the big American banks will not deal with Mt.Gox. I sent my wire through a small bank that specializes in international transactions.
URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 05:06:33 PM

I doubt they are scammers as I have sold bitcoin on ebay and not had any problems. And many seller's have an have been selling Bitcoin on ebay for a long time now.

It Is a hassle to wire the money to MT.gox. Have you ever been denied by an American bank who refused to deal with Gox? I heard many of the big American banks will not deal with Mt.Gox. I sent my wire through a small bank that specializes in international transactions.

You can easily send USD to Gox thru BitInstant.  Smiley
lunixbochs

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 05:21:47 PM

My (major US) bank marked it as fraud after the third wire, but I went in and talked to them and haven't had any problems since.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 05:24:03 PM

Escrow is the best method, safer than Paypal because paypal ppl tend to send as Gifts, and that avoids any responsibilities from Paypal to secure the transaction.

Have a look at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219412.0 Referral discount: Jag
jmutch

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 05:24:52 PM

hey there,

when i first got started with bitcoins a year ago i started buying off gox and selling on ebay.

Let me tell you it didn't last long. There were so many scammer. scammers selling. scammers buying with hacked paypal...

It's for people who don't know much about the www. like older ladies or something. or it's just full of scammers
Beastlymac

Activity: 630
Merit: 501

Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:07:38 PM

Because eBay is simple for people that have used it before and mt gox requires information eBay does not.

Message me if you have any problems
nor9853

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:11:14 PM

Paypal is the easiest and safest way to buy bitcoin for them.
Ethicoin

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:16:31 PM

Exactly what I was going to say (pretty much)

They are:

1.) Scammers
2.) People who don't know how to buy Bitcoins elsewhere (think of your grandma)
ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 11:11:17 PM

If they're not trying to scam you, I'd guess it is because they don't know better, saw some speculative TV report and immediately went to eBay to buy the 'next big thing that will make them rich'. Sigh
BitCoinzRUS (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 06:08:02 AM

hey there,

when i first got started with bitcoins a year ago i started buying off gox and selling on ebay.

Let me tell you it didn't last long. There were so many scammer. scammers selling. scammers buying with hacked paypal...

It's for people who don't know much about the www. like older ladies or something. or it's just full of scammers

What happens when someone sends you a payment as a gift from a Hacked Paypal. Does it get reversed? Is it possible to reverse gifts?
mullick
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 06:37:52 AM

I have bought about 25 litecoins on ebay recently. When I build pc's I get a ton of mail in rebates on visa prepaid cards. I forget there is a dollar or two on each and evey once and a while i pile them all together and buy some coins on ebay. I average buying them at $3.50 to $4.00 which the price has risen to above my buying price a few times Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: