Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:29:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The best place for mining  (Read 1008 times)
micle222 (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 01:24:27 PM

When someone plans to do crypto mining one of the most important points is the place.  I want to know where you put your RIG?
let's discuss the size of the room you have and do you put your miner in the bedroom or special room?
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 2092

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 05:15:09 PM

When someone plans to do crypto mining one of the most important points is the place.  I want to know where you put your RIG?
let's discuss the size of the room you have and do you put your miner in the bedroom or special room?

If you value your sleep you definitely shouldn't place a miner in your bedroom. The only viable scenario to put rigs in your bedroom is if it's winter, you want to save on heating and need whirring noises to get rid of your tinnitus.

When I still had rigs running I had a basement to run them in. Dry, low temperature and no one gets bothered by the noise. Before I moved them to the basement I had them in the living room, much to the dismay of my significant other so they didn't stay there long.

I only had 2 rigs at most and that already warranted a room of its own. But it depends on your own noise / heat tolerance I guess. For a proper, large scale operation you definitely need something like a warehouse or at least a garage / large basement / dedicated room.
RichardBTC

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 06:46:13 PM

I have moved both my rigs to my garage due to the hum and my wife not liking that lol. However i did pick up a problem with the dust in the garage and open windows to let in cool air... The gpus got really dirty really quick. If a gpu geta clogged ot can cause overheating and sometimes shorting (read that somewhere). One was in my kitchen when it was winter here lol at least the warmth was greater than the hum

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project  ☞ Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
aborjin

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 08:06:15 PM

I think we definitely needed a private room. There are two reasons for this: warmth and sound. If you think you will not disturb, you can keep it in the bedroom.

.▄███     ██████     ███▄
██████   ███████   ██████
 ██████ ██████████ ██████
  ██████████████████████
   █████████  ████████
    ██████    ██████
    ███████    ██████
   █████████  █████████
  ██████████████████████
 ██████ ██████████ ██████
██████   ██████   ██████
 ▀███     ██████     ███▀
IMPRESSIO     ▄███████████████▄
     ██             ██
     ▀███████████████▀
           ██ ██
           ██ ██
       ▄▄█████████▄▄ ▄███▄
    ▄███▀▀       ▀▀████ ▀██▄
  ▄██▀   ▄▄█████▄▄   ▀██▄ ██
 ▄██  ▄███  █  █████▄  ██▄█▀
 ██  ███         █████  ██
██  ██████  ███   █████  ██
██  ██████  ▀▀▀  ▄█████  ██
██  ██████  ▄▄▄▄  █████  ██
██  ██████  ████   ████  ██
 ██  ███          ████  ██
 ▀██  ▀███  █  █████▀  ██▀
  ▀██▄   ▀▀█████▀▀   ▄██▀
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 2578

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 08:15:10 PM

Read Bitcoin Mining 101
Aside from the CPU/GPU bit (applies only to mining BTC) the rest applies to ALL crypto-coin mining.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
investerS

Activity: 229

Money making legitimately

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 09:59:19 PM

Does it not have any hazard if mining is done in ones living room?
irwanjabryg

Activity: 980
Merit: 512

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 12:08:58 PM

Temperature greatly affect the performance of VGA, I saw on youtube room where the rig store is very open and there is air circulation. or can use a fan to regulate the temperature.
Sev18

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 12:10:56 PM

Need an isolated room with ventilation.
Bedroom,, maybe bad for your health because of noise and electronic wave.

■■■■■■■  Multi-Algo Switching Manager - MULTIPOOL MULTIALGO Profit Switch Launcher  ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■             https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2041971             ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■                           Download Now!                           ■■■■■■■
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2017, 12:52:18 PM

I put all rigs in and old basement, but its ventilation is hard with only a 100x50cm window. I setup several intake and exhaust fans but the room temperature usually stays about 51-53C.
zoufou

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 12:59:05 PM

I've definitely moved from open air rigs (the ones you see everywhere) to closed rigs with air pressure (just like a usual server unit), i've designed and built a bunch of them with wood, the result is satisfying.

I put my rigs in my garage, taking care of not mixing hot/cold air, 2 windows with filters to limit the dust, no fans except the gpu fans and my garage is running 68° all day long with 9 rigs (x6 GPU each), manually regulated GPU fan speeds to the minimum while keeping the temperature of each GPU below 75°, actually you can feel the garage very warm but pretty no big sounds getting out of the rigs.
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 05:59:42 PM

If you value your sleep you definitely shouldn't place a miner in your bedroom. The only viable scenario to put rigs in your bedroom is if it's winter, you want to save on heating and need whirring noises to get rid of your tinnitus.

When I still had rigs running I had a basement to run them in. Dry, low temperature and no one gets bothered by the noise. Before I moved them to the basement I had them in the living room, much to the dismay of my significant other so they didn't stay there long.

I only had 2 rigs at most and that already warranted a room of its own. But it depends on your own noise / heat tolerance I guess. For a proper, large scale operation you definitely need something like a warehouse or at least a garage / large basement / dedicated room.

you must of had some really noisy hardware, ive got 3 rigs plus a partial and there pretty danm quiet, loudest part is the server psu

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Mr_Snipes

Activity: 280

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2017, 08:38:25 PM

With noise dampening pads you can only do so much.
A good test- if you want to test the antminer-noise - is using a vacuum-cleaner.
The noise-level is really very similar. You might not hear it in the daytime, but at night it is a whole different story.
Better test that before your gf wants to throw you out with the miner Wink
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 08:59:13 PM

For a more approximate exstimate, most of my S7s hit 70 decibels or more with a phone noise estimator app. That's pretty damn loud (enough to permeate through the basement to the living room without sound dampening). S9s are pretty similar in terms of fans so expect similar noise levels if you buy one. That being said, data centers are great for mining if you can't deal with the noise that miners make. Garage is also pretty good, but keep in mind a garage is extremely sensitive to temperature changes and it gets stuffy real quick in the summer. I only keep miners in the garage during winters, where temps drop below -10c a lot.
crazydane

Activity: 558
Merit: 194

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 08:59:34 PM

So wait, I have a wife, 5 and 6 year old daughters, a dog, 3 cats and 3 birds.  I have 3 open rigs (each between 7 and 9 GPUs, mostly 1080Tis)  and my plan was to pull them up from the basement and scatter them about the house to heat it during the winter months.  Each draws about 1,500 W from the wall.  So you guys are saying that would be a bad idea?  This will be my first season winter mining.  I had to get a 2 ton mini split and put in the basement to keep it from getting too hot.  I was hoping to negate that expense during the winter months by using the rigs for heat almost exclusively.
Mr_Snipes

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2017, 06:18:36 AM

So wait, I have a wife, 5 and 6 year old daughters, a dog, 3 cats and 3 birds.  I have 3 open rigs (each between 7 and 9 GPUs, mostly 1080Tis)  and my plan was to pull them up from the basement and scatter them about the house to heat it during the winter months.  Each draws about 1,500 W from the wall.  So you guys are saying that would be a bad idea?  This will be my first season winter mining.  I had to get a 2 ton mini split and put in the basement to keep it from getting too hot.  I was hoping to negate that expense during the winter months by using the rigs for heat almost exclusively.

It's every miner's dream to do something good with that heat. Maybe you can just make a test and put one near your fam to see if they are annoyed by it Wink
Some people built cool setups to push the heat from outside into the house as well - if you have a basement that might be a good way to go for you.
The video is made for antminers, but the general method might be applicable for you as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szs-dyxV3jQ
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 06:24:04 AM

Does anybody know which is noisier/louder, 2 x exhaust fans each 83db or 4 x exhaust fans each 60db.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Mr_Snipes

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2017, 08:30:34 AM

Well, 60 DB is like a TV at home or a dishwasher.
80 DB is like an alarm-clock or loud vacuum-cleaner.
The single DB-levels do not add to each other.
Like 4 cars driving next to each other at 50 miles an hour will not drive 200 miles an hour, because there's 4 of them.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 09:02:12 AM

Well that is contradictory, I mean if you have 4 60db, all of them combined will make more noise than 1 but question is how much, is like when you put 2 or more gpus, you may not hear 1 but 2 or 3  you may.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
mx667

Activity: 294
Merit: 114

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 09:45:58 AM

Nice tips, it's good to hear that. But what rigs do you use ? I think it depends on the rigs too. Do GPU rigs and ANTMINER have the same noise and heat ? I think it is okay to place GPU mining in bedroom, unless you have a tons of GPU.

Maybe basement is the best place but, what if we don't have a basement ? What if there is a possibility that our basement may have flood when the rainy days ? For example is my country. Here is a tropical country who often to get rain.
dt8666

Activity: 302
Merit: 102

Mining with noise and without noise is all possibl

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 12:00:26 PM

Antminer at bedroom? Its like have your hairdryer turn on at fan speed number 3. You believe you can sleep with that noise? Dont think so

Nice tips, it's good to hear that. But what rigs do you use ? I think it depends on the rigs too. Do GPU rigs and ANTMINER have the same noise and heat ? I think it is okay to place GPU mining in bedroom, unless you have a tons of GPU.

Maybe basement is the best place but, what if we don't have a basement ? What if there is a possibility that our basement may have flood when the rainy days ? For example is my country. Here is a tropical country who often to get rain.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: