Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:53:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't focus on GPU panic. Focus on efficiency.  (Read 2117 times)
vc888888

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 08:26:07 PM

There is a lot of types of mining some very trusty while some are not so trusty but it depend on the person choice what he want and which quality he want. Mostly GPU   have no good quality as you are expecting  for which you can paid a very high price.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 06:02:32 PM

There's also a good ROI on platinum/titanium psu. Imagine gold psu = 89% efficient, titanium = 94%.

The psu is 1500W, and you use 1200W. 5% efficiency difference is ~ 60W lost.

60W over a year = 60*24*365/1000 = 525KWH wasted due to poor efficiency.

If your electricity rate is $0.10, thats $52 lost. Over 5 years, that's $250 due to efficiency loss. If you're in mining for the long haul, it makes sense to go for platinum/titanium psu

Most Gold rated power supplies do noticeably better than 89% efficiency across most of their rated power range - EVGA and Seasonic in particular usually just MISS "Platinum" rating on their G2 and X series power supplies.

Also, long term you aren't likely to be profitable at 10 cents / kwh - the last few months have been a noteable exception but NOT the norm - since most of the BIG farms are paying less than 5 and commonly closer to 3.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
blacklig

Activity: 504
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 06:41:22 PM

Wow, that is scarry!

How could this happen? Everything in PC world is usually made of non burnable materials.. cables etc, or at least should be! Do you think it was some respectable brand of PSU? Or did it caught fire from PSU at all?
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 07:09:00 PM

Most Gold rated power supplies do noticeably better than 89% efficiency across most of their rated power range - EVGA and Seasonic in particular usually just MISS "Platinum" rating on their G2 and X series power supplies.

Also, long term you aren't likely to be profitable at 10 cents / kwh - the last few months have been a noteable exception but NOT the norm - since most of the BIG farms are paying less than 5 and commonly closer to 3.

So true, the competing factor still a big thing.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 07:11:37 PM

Wow, that is scarry!

How could this happen? Everything in PC world is usually made of non burnable materials.. cables etc, or at least should be! Do you think it was some respectable brand of PSU? Or did it caught fire from PSU at all?

You have to be very careful, I saw a guy on  a video putting things close to the psu and other components that catch fire. You should never do that. The place you are mining should be zero contact with anything else and needs to be a larger room and most important you must distant them from other things.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 05:54:31 PM

Wow, that is scarry!

Looks like an "overloaded cables" issue.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
SCSI2

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 06:16:28 PM

Also worth noting that most (if not all) PSUs do show their best efficiency at approximately 50%-60% of their maximum rated load capacity.
Clairvoyance

Activity: 412
Merit: 152

Perceiving events in the future and beyond

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 07:05:19 PM

I've been searching this forum for a good advice in mining especially gpu mining. I do want to build a rig someday to farm some profitable tokens. Upon reading your thread it covers most of the questions in my head such as buying 2nd hand gpu's, what is a better psu to use and power or efficiency. Nice thread OP! I'm saving up to buy some gpu's do you have any recommendation for starters?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: