Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:33:25 PM

Paid $1300
Mine ~100 BTC (guesstimated)
Sell for 220 BTC

Riding the ASIC buyer's wave ~

Good decision placing that batch 1 order!
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:41:56 PM

Paid $1300
Sell for 220 BTC

+1 Cheesy
alchimista

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

ars longa, vita brevis

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:42:15 PM

Paid $1300
Sell for 220 BTC

+1 !!

"Ab tam tenui initio tantae opes sunt profligatae"
Vendo Bitcoin a mano a Pisa \ Firenze .:. Compro e Vendo Bitcoin postepay|sepa
tyler26

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:58:06 PM

I would buy this in a second if I had enough BTC.
redcomet

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:09:17 PM

Well, it was far from a certain bet at the time... remember, Avalon was supposed to ship 5 months AFTER the BFL initially...

Yeah I am not trying to be rude - just a little facetious.

Personally I would think very seriously about buying something with more than 1 month ROI.  If people are right about growth 73ghs will only get 1 btc a day in a month  Cry

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:38:27 PM

Are all submodules hashing good. Does the unit crash frequently? Possible to post a cgminer API summary after lets say 1 day of continuous hashing?

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 10:07:53 PM
Last edit: May 31, 2013, 11:00:23 PM by Qoheleth

Where are you in California?

How heavy is the equipment?

The offer ITT is the best thing price/performance-wise on the open market right now, but 200 coins is a lotta dough.

Edit: Would you accept in-person pickup? Depending on a couple factors it might be easier than traditional shipping.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
matauc12

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:17:14 PM

Well, it was far from a certain bet at the time... remember, Avalon was supposed to ship 5 months AFTER the BFL initially...

Personally I would think very seriously about buying something with more than 1 month ROI.  If people are right about growth 73ghs will only get 1 btc a day in a month  Cry

That would mean tripling difficulty in a month. Sorry, won't happen.

The price/performance is right in line with asicminer blades currently, so neither a good deal or overpriced.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 11:41:19 PM

Would you be willing to do in-person pickup instead of shipped?

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
detail3

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:45:14 AM

I started an auction thread for this item, please place your bids there:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=156709.0

I think that's a link to your FPGA auction thread, if that was intentional, you may want to start a new thread in order to eliminate any possible confusion.
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 11:57:22 PM

It's a fairly reasonable asking price considering unit in hand, escrow available and significantly quicker ROI then the ASIC USB miners I just received. I think a few bids will come in closer to auction end time.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 07:34:53 PM

asicminer sells blades 50 btc per 10ghash, so 230s not crazy high.  Still think 2.5 btc per ghash is my entry point.
I'm you will probably find someone that will pay around your 'opening' price because there's still the Bitcoin ASIC fever going on but I highly doubt much more. I'd have started the auction a bit lower.

Considering ASICMINER blades pricing of 50btc * 7 = 350btc for the same GH/s, it's clearly a bargain. Especially keeping in mind that those blades will be shipping god-knows-when while this unit can start mining for you tomorrow. If no one is willing to make a reasonable bid for this unit, I'm quite content keeping it to myself. I'm not in any hurry to sell it at all. 

I don't think it's a bargain at all, you are comparing it with ASICMINER blades which are hugely overpriced and that will NEVER reach ROI, so...

I think you know that probably your Avalon won't mine 230BTC in its remaining life-span, and that's why you are good to sell it at that price.

This is perfectly legit, no problem with that, but I have to say that I'm amazed to see how sellers clearly send confusing messages that can very much trick gullible noobs in making an impulsive buy... For "confusing messages" I mean calculating ROI at current difficult without taking into account any profitability decline rate, or comparing it with a piece of hardware (like the ASICMINER blades) that nobody sane, or at least looking for a ROI, would ever purchase.

Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 10:46:56 PM

I think you know that probably your Avalon won't mine 230BTC in its remaining life-span, and that's why you are good to sell it at that price.

Actually, I'm quite confident that Avalon will mine much more than 230btc in the next months, and it's resale value won't be 0 after that either. Just do your math, it's quite simple really.

In order for it to mine LESS than 230btc, the difficulty needs to rise more than 3.1% PER DAY for the next 40 WEEKS, increasing about 150 times from current level by September. Increasing the total network hashpower 150 TIMES in just 4 monts?! Sorry, but I just don't see this as even remotely realistic scenario.

In any scenario where the difficulty raises less than 3.1% per day every day month after month, gives you mining profit. Plus, why do you assume that resale value of Avalon will be 0 after that? GPUS and FPGAs miners still sell quite well even though they are barely competitive, why would Avalon be suddenly worthless in 4 months?!

Your math is wrong. For it to be unprofitable the difficulty has to gradually go x90 in the next 12 months.

Here:

1,000,000,000 difficulty for June 2014 sounds extremely high, but it's not out of the question, just look here:

And consider that in the calculations above, apart from the increase in difficulty, all the other variables are in their "best case scenario" for you:

- 71GH/s, and we all know that 100% uptime is impossible
- 0,15usd/kwh, which is an electricity rate impossible to get in many countries

230BTC for 71GH/s delivered today may get a ROI, or may not. But I can tell you definitely that it is not a bargain as you suggest.

drlukacs

Activity: 854
Merit: 253

l0tt0.com

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 11:56:16 PM

The profitability decline ration of 0.61 does not strike me as realistic in the current period when hashing power increases so quickly.

WHIRLWIND
|
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █
     ▄▄██▀▀▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄        █A
    ▄██▀▄██▀▄▀▀▀ ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄     █
   ███ ██▀▄▀     ▄▄▀▄▄ ▀█▄   █
  ███ ███ █        ▀▄ █▄ ██  █
  ███ ███ █         █ ██ ██  █
  ███ ███ █        ▄▀ █▀ ██  █
   ███ ██▄▀▄     ▀▀▄▀▀ ▄█▀   █
    ▀██▄▀██▄▀▄▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀     █
     ▀▀██▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀        █
        ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀         █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
  No Fee    Ultimate Privacy  
ANONYMITY
MINING CAMPAIGN
MIX NOW
|
drlukacs

Activity: 854
Merit: 253

l0tt0.com

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 11:56:52 PM

What I really want to know is this: if this machine can generate so much revenue, why would its owner want to sell it for even as much as 230 BTC?

WHIRLWIND
|
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █
     ▄▄██▀▀▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄        █A
    ▄██▀▄██▀▄▀▀▀ ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄     █
   ███ ██▀▄▀     ▄▄▀▄▄ ▀█▄   █
  ███ ███ █        ▀▄ █▄ ██  █
  ███ ███ █         █ ██ ██  █
  ███ ███ █        ▄▀ █▀ ██  █
   ███ ██▄▀▄     ▀▀▄▀▀ ▄█▀   █
    ▀██▄▀██▄▀▄▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀     █
     ▀▀██▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀        █
        ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀         █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
  No Fee    Ultimate Privacy  
ANONYMITY
MINING CAMPAIGN
MIX NOW
|
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:51:25 AM

1,000,000,000 difficulty for June 2014 sounds extremely high, but it's not out of the question, just look here:

Sure, just punch in any arbitrary assumption of your choosing, and you can arrive at any answer that fits your argument. Garbage in, garbage out. Using the SAME profitability calculator (http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/), just not messing with the assumptions, I calculated the following:

Garbage in, garbage out? Ok, let's see where the garbage is:

• First, you keep the 71GH/s as hashrate, as it was possible to achieve 100% uptime
  • Secondly, you keep the 0.15usd/kwh - ok, maybe your buyer is from the USA and can enjoy that price
  • And thirdly, AND MOST IMPORTANT: you have the default 0.61 profitability decline on the calculator, which either means that a) you don't know what that variable means or b) you want some ignorant noob to be blinded by greed. The 0.61 yearly profitability decline, that's the garbage in you are talking about. A yearly profitability decline of 0.61 means that in twelve months, difficulty will only grow by x1.64. Are you really saying that you believe than in June 2014 the difficulty will only be 19 million?

OK, willing to accept an escrowed bet? I give you 3:1 odds on your favor, and I bet that difficulty in June 2014 will be at least double than 19million. But I know you will not accept, because you know very well that a x1,64 increase (or x2,32 as I propose in my bet) in difficulty in the next 12 months its just impossible.

Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:55:42 AM

What I really want to know is this: if this machine can generate so much revenue, why would its owner want to sell it for even as much as 230 BTC?

You are right, 230BTC does not even look very appealing to me given the revenue potential of the unit. In fact, I hoped that the bids will run much higher because of this potential and the simple fact that this is the ONLY offer on the market right now allowing you to start mining with 71,000 MH/s ASIC hashing power right away.

Seems like I was wrong, people either do not understand the real revenue potential of the unit or are not able to do the cost/benefit analysis properly. So, maybe I just wind down this auction and keep mining with the unit. I will keep track of its REAL performance, and once it hits 230 BTC, I'll let Rampion & co know how wrong they are with their FUD.

As I told you earlier: it may reach 230BTC, or it may not. In my opinion it will probably b/e if it's delivered today, but the profit after b/e will be very low compared to the high investment. Personally, it's a risk I wouldn't take.

Don't need to get mad, Arvicco: You said publicly that your Avalon was a bargain, I'm discussing publicly with you why I don't think it's a bargain at all.

Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 08:37:49 AM

As I told you earlier: it may reach 230BTC, or it may not. In my opinion it will probably b/e if it's delivered today, but the profit after b/e will be very low compared to the high investment. Personally, it's a risk I wouldn't take.

Don't need to get mad, Arvicco: You said publicly that your Avalon was a bargain, I'm discussing publicly with you why I don't think it's a bargain at all.

OK, sorry if my reaction to your posts comes across as too emotional, but I really DO think that at 230 BTC it's a bargain. We can debate the exact amount of expected mining revenue but in the end no one knows, all hashrate projections are entirely speculative. But you seem to totally miss my argument: in ADDITION to expected mining revenue, this Avalon will still have a resale value a few months down the road. Why should not it? FPGA miners still sell at essentially the same price now as they did 9 months ago, even though they are barely competitive. Why do you think an Avalon will be worthless in a few months?

And if you take a resale value into account, I do not see how you can say in all honesty that it will not have a positive ROI at this price, regardless of any speculative difficulty estimates.

Well, I don't think that ASICs will have the same resale value of FPGA's, as the latter can be used for other purposes, while bitcoin ASICs not.

Anyhow, please accept my excuses for hijacking both your auction post and this one. I think it's perfectly legit to try to get the maximum price the market is willing to pay for anything you or another member is willing to sell. It's just that I've been a noob too, I know that there are many variables to take into account when doing this kind of investment, and when I see old-timers making ambiguos claims about ROI or difficulty projections I feel bad for the noob that may feel the urge to "hop on the train", blinded by greed, because I realize that many of those noobs do not really understand the huge spike in difficulty we are going to face in the following months... Jeez, most of them do not even understand what the "yearly profitability decline" at bitcoinx.com/profit means, so they just leave the "0.61" value it comes there by default, which will for sure take them to believe they will have much greater returns that they will actually have.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 07:15:06 PM

That is about right.

Probably why he is selling it now...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: