Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:10:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Imagine some really bad news would appear and price would be dropping very very fast, way below your entry point. What would you do?
Sell at big loss (>50%) - 19 (15.7%)
Wait and hope for it to recover (high risk to lose it all) - 94 (77.7%)
I have no Bitcoins anyway - 8 (6.6%)
Total Voters: 121

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2001 times)
Birdy (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:42:36 PM

Just wondering ^^
wopwop

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:43:44 PM

Consider killing myself seeing as I'm invested BIG in this
zoinky

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:48:43 PM

I had a pretty good entry point, so I wouldn't panic. I feel most people have pulled out appropriate amounts of their profits to mitigate losses for such a scenario, and if not they should consider it.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:03:59 PM

I would sell a part of my holdings if I was fast enough and buy back lower. Also I would use fresh fiat to lower my average entry point further by buying at the bottom or (hopefully) close to it. If it's really bad news that would most likely be the end of bitcoin I would just sell most of my holdings at a loss but still keep some in case it survives. Before I invested in bitcoin I already accepted the possibily that I would lose it all, so it's not going to ruin my life or something.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:11:40 PM

IMO this thing will remain bullish over the mid-long term ... no reason not to wait in the OP scenario.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
MonadTran

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:19:07 PM

Would be buying most likely.
Unless the protocol is completely broken (no point to buy or sell at zero price, so going to hold), or all of the exchanges are closed at once, in a synchronized government raid across the world (which would make buying or selling bitcoins too difficult for me, so, again, going to hold in that scenario).
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:27:52 PM

what if your entry point is negative $65  Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Birdy (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:32:44 PM

Unless the protocol is completely broken

When you see the news "Bitcoin bug!" and you see the price dropping down in minutes, you might not have the time to do a proper research to find out if it's really completely broken.

what if your entry point is negative $65  Wink
Then you obviously got way less pressure to sell ^^
But it's still losing money.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 10:31:07 PM

First, I would read the news. I've already accepted my original buy-in as a sunk cost, so there's no reason to panic before understanding the situation.

Depending on what sort of news it is, I'd do one of the following:
1) If holding bitcoins is going to be criminalized in a way that has actual teeth, I may delete my wallet, or else give the coins to someone who lives in another country.
2) If it's a catastrophic protocol failure which will make Bitcoin unusable starting immediately, I probably can't get my coins onto an exchange anyway, so I'll just keep them around as a keepsake.
3) In basically any other scenario, I'd buy like mad.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:37:59 PM

what if your entry point is negative $65  Wink

That is my question also. This poll does not deal with those who have an effective entry point that is negative.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Birdy (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:46:41 PM

what if your entry point is negative $65  Wink

That is my question also. This poll does not deal with those who have an effective entry point that is negative.

Well, just vote that you won't sell ^^
You are still losing money, even if you cannot get a negative overall in fiat anymore.
This poll is supposed to be a snapshot how many people would panicsell.
Frozenlock

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:48:10 PM

How many would panic hold?  Wink
Birdy (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:49:31 PM

How many would panic hold?  Wink
Those that have a lot of money to lose, but still hold ^^
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:08:16 PM

Unless it was a fundamental failure of the bitcoin protocol itself, hold or buy. I'm not particularly interested in being weak-minded.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Gordonium

Activity: 392

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:28:07 PM

Unless it was a fundamental failure of the bitcoin protocol itself, hold or buy. I'm not particularly interested in being weak-minded.

Exactly reason why I just laugh when people panic over small things like MtGox problems etc. As long as Bitcoin protocol works, the fundamentals are looking really good.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 12:02:52 AM

OP missed option of "Average down until it reaches zero, where you buy all the coins with one dollar"  Grin

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:36:49 PM

Since my entry point is arguably zero (I have already withdrawn the amount of fiat I bought in with) I'd just hold, and hold, and hold  Cheesy
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:58:29 PM

I would hold what I have and hope for a tell tale bottom signal and buy more then.

Many of us have only invested what we can afford to lose. So, it is all or nothing to many of us. Not to mention a political/freedom statement. We are in it for the long haul.

Speaking of which, if you have children, I recommend setting one BTC aside as a college education fund.  Grin

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 06:06:38 PM

i would hit the buy button

Frozenlock

Activity: 434

View Profile