Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:10:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitTalk Podcast - Episode 1 | Subscribe @ BitTalk.tv  (Read 8194 times)
Atom

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

"Basics Of Generational Dynamics" - Look it up!

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 09:09:22 AM

Sorry about that lol, Atlas has been trying various things on the webpage - we're still figuring out ways to pay for this operation, and that is one of the options discussed but you're completely right it needs to be disclosed.     Regarding the content, it's our first episode and really Atlas and I are getting to know each others viewpoints on these issues, so while I'll agree it may have been old hat to you it is benificial to the show overall (and additionally to people who don't spend most of their time on the boards)

So on the subject of mining, what do you think about it?   It seems like its a higher risk of annoying people to me than any costs that could be recovered by mining with CPUs given the ever increasing difficulty, but on the other hand it requires no effort and little to no cost (maybe more electricity?) to the listener who is taking advantage of a "free" service.

Ideally I think we'd fund purely through small donations like my comment says, which would allow us to be free of any ethical, legal, or moral entanglements resulting from sponsorship agreements with community members (who might become a subject of discussion, either rightly or wrongly)

Really would like to know peoples thoughts about this - what do you guys think?

The instant response is appreciated and goes to show that you are at least a decent person.

I would not mind the mining, as long as there is reasonable throttling (my CPU fan is a disturbing noise, as I guess is the case for most). I don't really know if it is technically possible to limit CPU usage to say 40%.

Another issue was that I found it hard to distinguish your voices after a while, so I didn't understand who was saying what at certain points. Maybe get a nice female voice to interview Atlas?

I think small donations are the way to go, until you have good enough content to charge PPV (pay-per-view) .Bitcoin is ideal for micropayments.

An added extra for paying customers could be a transcript. Although I said before most of it is not new, there were some sentences by both of you which would have a lot of staying value, even though you might not realize that. And different things would appeal to different listeners.

If it's not clear, I am trying to be encouraging. Donation sent.

Happy to be responsive, I've done alot of podcasting in my life and this is by far the most exciting project I've worked on - I want BitTalk to become a go-to source for well thought out discussion and debate on some of the pressing issues that are going to face the growing BTC community over the next couple of years.  Journalistic integrity is dead in the mainstream, so this is my personal crusade (and Atlas too, I assume) to change it a little for those we can reach.  Small donations and specifically the way BTC enables them make it possible for an operation like ours to be beholden to literally nobody outside of the community itself, since they're the source of our funding.  Like NPR if you didn't have the government pretending they're paying for most of it (of course it comes from the taxpayer, but you wouldn't know it if you asked 'em)

Regarding transcripts, maybe I should post a job request on ForBitcoin.com lol?  Hire somebody to transcribe our episodes for .5BTC/show, or something.   That would be neat, we're planning on using the BTC we recieve as donations to patronize the BTC community for all the stuff/services we need, so this fits right in there - It's really important for people to start spending BTC for STUFF instead of just focusing on the profit potential, these things need to get into new hands.

On the subject of throttling, Atlas and I actually had this conversation earlier
[6/25/2011 2:09:51 PM] Atlas: http://www.bitcoinplus.com/miner/embeddable
[6/25/2011 2:10:19 PM] Atom: hmm, interesting
[6/25/2011 2:10:39 PM] Atom: you wanna go that route, or the .02 per ep donation request, or both?
[6/25/2011 2:10:51 PM] Atlas: Both.
[6/25/2011 2:10:54 PM] Atom: ok
[6/25/2011 2:11:02 PM] Atom: actually
[6/25/2011 2:11:04 PM] Atom: maybe not
[6/25/2011 2:11:12 PM] Atom: our site isn't one you'll sit on with it up as your main page
[6/25/2011 2:11:33 PM] Atom: it's the sorta site you open while doing something else, which could also be mining
[6/25/2011 2:11:46 PM] Atom: how widespread is that script?  I can see any sort of comprehensive adoption being a problem
[6/25/2011 2:12:06 PM] Atlas: The script runs in the background, even if it's in another tab.
[6/25/2011 2:12:10 PM] Atom: right, that's my point
[6/25/2011 2:12:11 PM] Atlas: In addition, it's Java based.
[6/25/2011 2:12:18 PM] Atlas: It won't kill people's computers.
[6/25/2011 2:12:26 PM] Atom: what happens if they're running multiple sites that all run java miners?
[6/25/2011 2:12:33 PM] Atom: that's my concern
[6/25/2011 2:12:38 PM] Atlas: They should balance each other out.
[6/25/2011 2:12:40 PM] Atom: doesn't each one max out a processor?
[6/25/2011 2:12:49 PM] Atom: or rather, a core
[6/25/2011 2:12:51 PM] Atlas: Yep, but if another one shows up they each take 50 50
[6/25/2011 2:12:54 PM] Atlas: Yeah one core.
[6/25/2011 2:12:55 PM] Atom: ah
[6/25/2011 2:13:02 PM] Atom: ok, than thats alright

BitTalk
with Atlas & Atom
A Show for the Bitcoin Universe, Fresh Episodes Weekly!
Episode 3 out now at BitTalk.tv

Liked this weeks episode of BitTalk?  Send us your 2¢ (.02BTC) 
13RVBjpo3xLeDBkB2NM64N8sWK4fariZUu
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Atom

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 09:16:25 AM

oh and thanks for your donation, we're up to 1.04BTC since yesterday and about 300 plays on the show

BitTalk
with Atlas & Atom

ElHajjaj

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 09:22:36 AM

Are you guys using your viewer's computers for mining? If yes, you should disclose the fact at least.

Sorry about that lol, Atlas has been trying various things on the webpage - we're still figuring out ways to pay for this operation, and that is one of the options discussed but you're completely right it needs to be disclosed.
[...]
So on the subject of mining, what do you think about it?   It seems like its a higher risk of annoying people to me than any costs that could be recovered by mining with CPUs given the ever increasing difficulty, but on the other hand it requires no effort and little to no cost (maybe more electricity?) to the listener who is taking advantage of a "free" service.

I was listening to the podcast on my MacBook operating on BATTERY POWER, and I noticed the same thing as 3phase and got immediately suspicious. I am seriously offended because it's like my computer was hijacked to be part of a botnet, and I'm also upset because I liked what I had heard during the few minutes but I had to shut it down.

I have 0.03 bitcents to my name and I thought about tipping you guys 0.01, but not after this BS.

You'll have another shot at my bitcent when my indignation wears off if you turn that shit off.

Edit: Related side topic: Micropayments (http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=2454)
Atom

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 09:26:55 AM

Are you guys using your viewer's computers for mining? If yes, you should disclose the fact at least.

Sorry about that lol, Atlas has been trying various things on the webpage - we're still figuring out ways to pay for this operation, and that is one of the options discussed but you're completely right it needs to be disclosed.
[...]
So on the subject of mining, what do you think about it?   It seems like its a higher risk of annoying people to me than any costs that could be recovered by mining with CPUs given the ever increasing difficulty, but on the other hand it requires no effort and little to no cost (maybe more electricity?) to the listener who is taking advantage of a "free" service.

I was listening to the podcast on my MacBook operating on BATTERY POWER, and I noticed the same thing as 3phase and got immediately suspicious. I am seriously offended because it's like my computer was hijacked to be part of a botnet, and I'm also upset because I liked what I had heard during the few minutes but I had to shut it down.

I have 0.03 bitcents to my name and I thought about tipping you guys 0.01, but not after this BS.

You'll have another shot at my bitcent when my indignation wears off if you turn that shit off.

Yep, I was afraid this was gonna happen lol
I'll ask Atlas to switch off the script (He's doing the page), but until then here is the direct link to this weeks episode .mp3, so you should be able to finish listening if you'd like without lighting your laptop on fire.

And if you're only .03BTC in the market, keep it Smiley  The point of .02BTC request is it's supposed to be a very small amount for anyone with more than one or two BTC, we don't want 33% of your BTC holdings!

I'll also update the front page of this thread with the direct link

BitTalk
with Atlas & Atom

ElHajjaj

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 09:31:51 AM

Thank for the link Atom. I'm feel a little better already :-]

I only have 0.03 BTC, but that's because I have $100 USD parked on TH waiting to see what happens when MtGox trading reopens. I should really get to sleep soon so I can wake up for that.
Atom

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 09:34:44 AM

Thank for the link Atom. I'm feel a little better already :-]

I only have 0.03 BTC, but that's because I have $100 USD parked on TH waiting to see what happens when MtGox trading reopens. I should really get to sleep soon so I can wake up for that.

I'm in the same boat, got a couple buys set on the way down on the off chance I'm wrong and we see another rush to the gates.

Honestly though, I think theres just as good a chance of that happening with the USD this month as with BTC, lol.

Glad I was around to get you the link, I just sent Atlas a PM about how we need to rethink the miner thing lol.   But now I too have to get to bed, promised the wife I'd be 12:30am, and here it is 2:34

BitTalk
with Atlas & Atom

3phase

Activity: 313
Merit: 251

Third score

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 09:37:20 AM

Regarding transcripts, maybe I should post a job request on ForBitcoin.com lol?  Hire somebody to transcribe our episodes for .5BTC/show, or something.   That would be neat, we're planning on using the BTC we recieve as donations to patronize the BTC community for all the stuff/services we need, so this fits right in there - It's really important for people to start spending BTC for STUFF instead of just focusing on the profit potential, these things need to get into new hands.

Just to put things into perspective, my wife is currently doing transcripts of videos in English of a rather slow speaking professor, for about 40 EUR per hour of content. She's not a professional BTW, and not a native English speaker either.

You guys speak a bit too fast, although your sentences are much more simple and closer to casual talk, so it might offset the speed. A native speaker also could find it a lot easier, so the price you mention looks reasonable given the depth of the market.

Hope this helps.

And I'm fully with you about spending BTC to spread the word.

Fiat no more.
Δoκιμάστε τo http://multibit.org - Bitcoin client τώρα και στα Eλληνικά
Atom

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 09:42:09 AM

Well, I won 4BTC at betcoin tonight from a starting capital of 1BTC(not the donations, don't worry lol), so I'll put up the job in the morning and see if I can find someone to transcribe episode 1

BitTalk
with Atlas & Atom

YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 12:07:30 PM

Good show, way better then that Wegner guy.....sitting round with laptops and skyping chile is not production value!

Donation sent. Please, please, please do what you can to gather the scraps of valuable information together for your show so that when we hear it the topics are new and interesting. I'd also suggest you nab Bitcoin project seniors and give em a good talking to! :p

Good luck with the project guys.
ElHajjaj

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 03:35:14 PM

Good first show  *thumbs up*  Smiley
It would be fun if this evolved into a live stream with people listening in and participating on IRC and phoning in via Skype or whatever. Some day historians might be digging up these archives to listen in to how the Bitcoin Boom got started and survived it's early tribulations, so remember that when you report the news.

I call dibs on the transcription job for the first episode. I need to make some $B so I can afford to donate back to you guys for your efforts  Smiley
Atom

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 03:50:14 PM

Unfortunately you're a little late on the transcription request Wink Fwaggle got in touch via email about an hour ago and I'm working with him now on it, but this will be a weekly gig so hit me next week.

Regarding the live stream idea - This would be ideal, and Atlas and I have discussed it (he thinks we should do it as well) - I actually have been down that road before with one of my other shows a few years back, and it was a real nightmare logistically speaking.  I'm not opposed to it, but I ain't gonna be the one working the technical side this time around, so the live stuff will have to wait until we can hire someone to do our technical backend for it (which is going to take a bit of work from you guys in terms of donations lol)   But once we build up a little bit of a warchest there are several things we'd like to roll into.

Regarding future historical perspective, I think the days we're living in are rare, when one generation of people get to watch the whole world change as governments and other insolvent organizations around the world flail wildly attempting to convince people they are not only relevent, but not the enemy. 

I approached Atlas about this project because I felt like the opportunity to contribute was now, and I believe that more today than I did last week.

BitTalk
with Atlas & Atom

ElHajjaj

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 04:12:39 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2011, 06:28:11 PM by ElHajjaj

Unfortunately you're a little late on the transcription request Wink Fwaggle got in touch via email about an hour ago and I'm working with him now on it, but this will be a weekly gig so hit me next week.

ok. I'll check back next week to see if I can beat Fwaggle to the punch. Keep up the good work Smiley
Anonymous

June 26, 2011, 07:10:13 PM

The miner is now gone indefinitely. I apologize for the pain it may have caused.
Anonymous

June 26, 2011, 07:20:58 PM

....and we now have an enclosure that doesn't decide to take a break every hour or so.
bitbonga

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 10:45:57 PM

Good show, way better then that Wegner guy.....sitting round with laptops and skyping chile is not production value!

Donation sent. Please, please, please do what you can to gather the scraps of valuable information together for your show so that when we hear it the topics are new and interesting. I'd also suggest you nab Bitcoin project seniors and give em a good talking to! :p

Good luck with the project guys.

I second that!
bitbonga

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 11:08:31 PM

Regarding the live stream idea - This would be ideal, and Atlas and I have discussed it (he thinks we should do it as well) - I actually have been down that road before with one of my other shows a few years back, and it was a real nightmare logistically speaking.  I'm not opposed to it, but I ain't gonna be the one working the technical side this time around, so the live stuff will have to wait until we can hire someone to do our technical backend for it (which is going to take a bit of work from you guys in terms of donations lol)   But once we build up a little bit of a warchest there are several things we'd like to roll into.

If you'd like, I can hook you up with streaming. Been doing this for over 5 years. The only thing you'd have to do, is get your final audio output connected to some software that records your output and streams it to the server. Server has triggers on live stream starting and stopping which means you can auto-msn (and with some extra work, auto-twitter:-)) the start and stop of your broadcast if you want to. The connected stream is also recorded so when the stream stops, it's available for download/streaming as an archive instantly. Techie short specs: output mp3/ogg/theora into Icecast2. None of that future flash and silverlight shize, just plain direct links to streams themselves, usable on all OS platforms! Just PM me if interested to read more and see live working demo.
Atom

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 11:24:00 PM

@bitbonga - sent you a PM

Here is the word cloud from episode 1

BitTalk
with Atlas & Atom

bitbonga

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 11:57:57 PM

Here is the word cloud from episode 1

That word cloud is awesome! It so reflects and attracts to the content.
You should make these clouds links to every corresponding archive.
And use the overall cloud on all episodes on your main page.
Cheerfuller colors as well:)
ElHajjaj

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:40:15 AM

Atom, I tried to donate 0.02 to the address in your sig, 13RVBjpo3xLeDBkB2NM64N8sWK4f, but my client says that it's an invalid address. Do you know what's up with that?

Also I wanted toss out another idea. Maybe as your show gains a following you can entice some merchants to sponsor that week's show in exchange for a plug to their website and maybe a banner or something on bittalk.tv. Just an idea to bring in some revenue outside of donations if operating costs are an issue.

Looking forward to ep 2 Smiley
Atom

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 02:10:27 PM

Atom, I tried to donate 0.02 to the address in your sig, 13RVBjpo3xLeDBkB2NM64N8sWK4f, but my client says that it's an invalid address. Do you know what's up with that?

Also I wanted toss out another idea. Maybe as your show gains a following you can entice some merchants to sponsor that week's show in exchange for a plug to their website and maybe a banner or something on bittalk.tv. Just an idea to bring in some revenue outside of donations if operating costs are an issue.

Looking forward to ep 2 Smiley

If you click the link in my sig it'll take you to the page which will have the correct address... I'll fix it in my sig, thanks for the heads up.

Regarding a sponsorship model - We are considering it, but Atlas & I both feel very strongly about staying independent and uncompromised, which could conflict with a sponsorship model depending on where this show winds up taking us.  I suspect if we have commercial sponsors, they will be companies both Atlas & I have done business with personally, enjoyed, and therefore and vouch for without qualms - We've already basically covered our startup costs for the show on 72hrs of donations, so what additional donations allow us to do is things like episode transcripts, free listener raffles, and basically anything else that looks like it'll be a good use of Donations.

It's all about the community though, so we'll be releasing monthly income/expenses statements on the site that will detail where your donations are going.

It would be great if we could run the show off of very small donations alone, and with the first episode already catching about 700 listeners in the first three days, I think that is possible.  We're going to discuss different models we can follow on the show this week, and ask for feedback from the community.   

BitTalk
with Atlas & Atom

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: