Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:31:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Voting with a Blockchain  (Read 496 times)
cryptotsunami

Activity: 114
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 08:37:12 AM

Hello, I had an Idea.

What if big governments did their voting with blockchains?

This could stand to remove a lot of corruption in the voting/polling system given it is done correctly.

Could this be a key to governments with more integrity?
It is a good idea to prevent cheating on a National Election. It will be more transparent hard to hack and more reliable.
krishnapramod
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 09:51:30 AM

the biggest question that should be answers first is : WHY?

what is blockchain? it is a chain of blocks.
what would these blocks regarding votes contain? the votes themselves? why? what would be the point of creating a chain of votes in form of blocks and hold them somewhere? what is wrong with a normal database instead of a blockchain?

or maybe you mean some form of cryptographic proof? that is not blockchain.
it is something else, but who will issue the keys for creating the "vote" cryptographically and how would you prevent people from having multiple keys?
and the final question is that will it be worth all these efforts to replace the old system that works?

I see others saying "it is a good idea" but in my opinion your idea is way too vague and general. you need to explain how will it work and what are the angles then decide if it is a good or a terrible idea. because it can be either.

The why is quite simple, to prevent electoral fraud/Tampering with electronic voting machines. A transparent, hack-proof/secure voting system based on Blockchain eliminates this.

The existing voting system, be it paper-based or e-voting isn't transparent, you cast vote, you aren't sure if your vote was changed or counted. That's why some people abstain from voting. A transparent voting system would restore their trust. So IMO it is definitely worth replacing the existing system.

List of controversial elections, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_controversial_elections

Digital Voting with the use of Blockchain Technology, https://www.economist.com/sites/default/files/plymouth.pdf

The concept is implementable.
ViceOfBTC21

Activity: 438
Merit: 266

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 09:55:43 AM

what would these blocks regarding votes contain? the votes themselves? why? what would be the point of creating a chain of votes in form of blocks and hold them somewhere? what is wrong with a normal database instead of a blockchain?

it is something else, but who will issue the keys for creating the "vote" cryptographically and how would you prevent people from having multiple keys?
and the final question is that will it be worth all these efforts to replace the old system that works?

I see others saying "it is a good idea" but in my opinion your idea is way too vague and general. you need to explain how will it work and what are the angles then decide if it is a good or a terrible idea. because it can be either.

The why is quite simple, to prevent electoral fraud/Tampering with electronic voting machines. A transparent, hack-proof/secure voting system based on Blockchain eliminates this.

The existing voting system, be it paper-based or e-voting isn't transparent, you cast vote, you aren't sure if your vote was changed or counted. That's why some people abstain from voting. A transparent voting system would restore their trust. So IMO it is definitely worth replacing the existing system.

List of controversial elections, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_controversial_elections

Digital Voting with the use of Blockchain Technology, https://www.economist.com/sites/default/files/plymouth.pdf

And how about storing personal data? It will be scary when everyone can see my personal data on blockchain.
Marileno

Activity: 215
Merit: 101

✔ Crypto portfolio | ✔ Telegram/APP

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 09:57:58 AM

Interesting concept. There are numerous applications for blockchain currently being tested but i have not heard of this specific use case yet. Does anyone have any information about people looking into it? Banks are already using the tech for their own purposes, so if feasible i dont see a reason for government not to at least consider it. Although, expect a large outcry but those that dont understand the tech, in relation to the possibility for the elections to be had and compromised. People fear what they dont understand.
Afnan_faizah

Activity: 798
Merit: 178

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 10:10:32 AM

Hello, I had an Idea.

What if big governments did their voting with blockchains?

This could stand to remove a lot of corruption in the voting/polling system given it is done correctly.

Could this be a key to governments with more integrity?
Good idea,  it should be aplied as soon as possible. That is really important thing.  I think blockchain technology is really useful, isn't it?. I hope the government hear your idea.

Sepertinya sudah waktunya, kalau menurut saya lebih baik lump sum sekarang. 30/01/2024.
joseafonso123az

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 10:10:58 AM

Great way of thinking! This is a great idea but I think the countries who need this would resist it, because there are no ways in doing corruption after a vote is done! Corruption is a think that can make you at loss even having the most powerful resources!
krishnapramod
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 10:14:56 AM

And how about storing personal data? It will be scary when everyone can see my personal data on blockchain.

Your personal data isn't visible to everyone on Blockchain. A voter's vote anonymity is ensured. Please go through the whole PDF to understand one of the possible implementations of Blockchain technology in a voting system.

It is important to note that there are two distinct blockchains being held; one which contains transactions relating to which users have registered and which users still have a vote, the second containing the contents of the vote (such as what party was voted for.). Through the use of these two distinct blockchains we ensure voter anonymity when selecting their vote.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: